Harvey Weinstein-the start of something?

Mountain Goat

Re: Harvey Weinstein-the start of something?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh GOD. It's just exhausting.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Spot the virgin, Nince.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Even if a handful of women do chose to be there, it doesn't mean that they speak for all the women who are fucking appalled by this shit.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

cluefree wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:18 am Spot the virgin, Nince.
Who still lives with his mammy.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Tyla

Post by Tyla »

cluefree wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:13 am Tyla has me on ignore. :cry:
:lol: sorry cluef

Bean, I said exactly the same to Mr T this morning. It beggars belief, that in the current climate, these deluded, egotistical twats haven't caught on that it's not ok and still think decent standards of behaviour don't apply to them :banghead: .

They were interviewing 4 women who work/have worked in the different areas of the hospitality industry on the radio this morning and they were all saying how this behaviour is prevalent. One girl who worked in a bar in her late teens/early 20's said barely a Friday/Saturday night shift went by without some sleazy bloke offering to wait for her shift to finish so he could 'show her a good time' :vomit: and they were nearly always much older than her too. The ego and sense of entitlement in shocking.
It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "what about lunch?"
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Smal! :lol:
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

And to all the people who say dismissively that "worse stuff than this goes on in pubs and clubs every night of the week" then maybe think about the fact that what you are watching and condoning is sexual assault and harassment for those women (and men) too, perhaps? :lg: :lg:
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

I just don’t get the comparison thing at all. I don’t go up to people with life threatening illnesses and tell them to just be glad that they’re not terminal. NONE of it is ok, what the fuck?
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Surely the fact that this happens all the time makes it worse, not better?
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Also, I nearly cried myself to death yesterday watching the statements and the judge’s ruling and comments in the Larry Nassar abuse case yesterday. Those brave women and girls, that brilliant judge.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

nineseven wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:52 am Surely the fact that this happens all the time makes it worse, not better?
EXACTLY. But they mean the opposite, don't they, the cunts.
Luce

Post by Luce »

It's like with the Aziz Ansari thing and people ringing their hands about it all going Too Far and its just Bad Sex and if that counts as sexual harassment then surely EVERYONE has been sexually harrassed...Yes! That's the bloody point! How fucking dim do you need to be to think that because the same disgusting behaviour happens in pubs/clubs then that somehow makes it ok? Its backwards!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I am completely unsurprised by this event. However, I am slightly cheered that it's led to such an outcry and people being sacked or having to issue terrified statements. Even 10 years ago, nobody would have given a single shit about it.

When I was a student and did bar work, I was offered a one-off bar job at an all-male Sportsman's Dinner. When I found out about it - basically there would be a 'blue' comedian and a stripper - I refused, horrified. But these were common in the 90s and later. I suspect they still happen today - maybe without the stripper, but who knows?
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

cluefree wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:52 am Also, I nearly cried myself to death yesterday watching the statements and the judge’s ruling and comments in the Larry Nassar abuse case yesterday. Those brave women and girls, that brilliant judge.
What the judge did was superb. Did you see that Nassar wrote a six page letter to the judge, asking to be excused from listening to the women’s statements on the grounds that it would be traumatic and cause him mental distress? :verm:
smalex

Post by smalex »

cluefree wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:52 am Also, I nearly cried myself to death yesterday watching the statements and the judge’s ruling and comments in the Larry Nassar abuse case yesterday. Those brave women and girls, that brilliant judge.
That story is so awful. All those girls, talented, lots of them so successful, probably often from 'middle class' relatively affluent backgrounds with highly engaged parents (ie. Not as typically vulnerable as the victims in these types of cases so often are )systematically abused while in the care of a national sports team. Completely horrific. The judge's comments made me cry too.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

As with previous events, the terrified statements do make me laugh in a horrified way. They must be distraught that the freedom to prey on pretty young women is no longer seen as a right.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Do those who claim that the women "went along with it" therefore are consenting (be it Weinstein or wait-staff type scenarios) also think people paying undocumented workers at a fraction of what they should are not to be blamed as if it were so wrong people wouldn't work for them?

I'm not saying pretty young women actors or waitresses are as desperate as undocumented workers, but surely almost anyone who's ever had a job has had to do things they don't want to but didn't make a fuss because they needed to pay the bills.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Turtle Bean wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:51 pm As with previous events, the terrified statements do make me laugh in a horrified way. They must be distraught that the freedom to prey on pretty young women is no longer seen as a right.
I think they still think they can wait this out if they keep their head down for a bit.

Speaking of which, nothing has actually happened to Weinstein still, has it? So maybe it is awaiting game.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Edith Bacon wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:39 pm
What the judge did was superb. Did you see that Nassar wrote a six page letter to the judge, asking to be excused from listening to the women’s statements on the grounds that it would be traumatic and cause him mental distress? :verm:
Nassar’s letter was appalling. The sense of entitlement and that somehow he was the victim in all of this turned my stomach.