Am I being a brat?

Rudyard

Am I being a brat?

Post by Rudyard »

I feel silly posting this but I need to figure out if I'm being a drama queen, do tell me if so. Yesterday was my birthday (I'm 25) and I got a card in the post signed by my mum and my brothers but no present, not even a fiver stuck in the card. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered at all about getting something big and fancy, a box of chocs would have sufficed. But I always send my mum presents on her birthday and I recently had my little brother up for his 18th and spent a fortune on him. Am I being silly to expect a small gesture in return, from at least one of them? I got a mountain of presents off Rudboy's parents and I feel embarrassed telling him that my mum and brother didn't send me anything at all.

Do I need a slap?
Tess

Re: Am I being a brat?

Post by Tess »

Do they normally give you presents or is this a one-off?
George

Post by George »

How far away are you from them? Maybe they decided not to post something but are expecting to see you?
Slug

Post by Slug »

I think you're allowed to feel a bit let down and disappointed.

Maybe they'll get you something when they next see you ?
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Oh I'd be a bit hurt by that too. :(
Unexpectedly small.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Happy belated birthday!

If presents are the norm in your family, then no, I don't think it's silly to be upset that they haven't sent you anything.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Are you sure they won't drop something off at some point? Have you had any 'should we stop doing presents' type conversations lately?

I'd be a bit hurt too!
Rudyard

Post by Rudyard »

Thanks for the replies. They've always sent something small in the past so this is a new development. It could just be that money is very tight at the moment, which of course I would understand but I'd be happy with a little pound shop gift or something.
I won't be seeing them for a while and my mum texted yesterday and didn't mention it so I don't think they're waiting until I see them.
Never mind, I think I just need to forget it but I just wanted to check I'm not being overly sensitive.
Lady Bolly

Post by Lady Bolly »

Definitely not a brat - a brat would have stormed round there & demanded a present. You are just upset - and I don't blame you. You are obviously a "it's the thought that counts" person, so no effort at all is really hurtful. I think you should let it lie though, and just reduce the budget you spend on them.

My family don't do presents & Mr Bolls' mum was horrified that it meant I didn't get presents to open at Xmas. She insisted on buying me new slippers & I surprised myself by how touched I was. Mr Bolls & I now do stockings of pound gifts for each other at Xmas & I'd be upset if he decided he couldn't be bothered any more.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I'd be upset too, I don't think you're being over sensitive if you have normally swapped gifts in the past. Since my folks have moved to Spain they have missed a couple of things where they would normally send presents or cards (one birthday and Christmas that I can remember off hand) but they have always given me something or paid for dinner or a little treat the next time I see them, and they usually flap about and feel bad about it. It seems a bit strange if this is a totally new development for your family.
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

No I don't think your being a brat, like everyone else has already said if your family normally do give presents to suddenly give nothing would seem weird.

In the reverse situaiton my dad always buys us a little something but not a proper present as such (i.e. he'd maybe take us out for a pint or something instead, or the last 2 years he's given me £10 worth of euros to go towards a drink/lunch on holiday which was really nice) but his new wife is BIG on presents and was shocked by this and this year they bought me a watch for my birthday from her and dad. Which came as a bit of a shock and I'm now panicking about what I need to get them :lol: so it happens the other way too!
Minkie

Post by Minkie »

I don't think you're being a brat at all. My parents forgot to get me anything for my 24th birthday, and I was really upset. My dad's birthday is a week after mine, so I called him on his birthday to wish him a good one. He asked where his present was, and I asked him where mine was. :lol: He was very fucking sheepish. They frequently forget to get me things for my birthday, and a couple of Christmases ago they really spoiled my brother and got very little for me and my sister. I've learned to lower my expectations and/or just outright ask for what I want for my birthday so they can't use the "we didn't know what you wanted" excuse.
Tabbycatblue

Post by Tabbycatblue »

I don't think you're being a brat, especially of it's the norm to exchange presents.

It was my 50th 2 months ago and my brother who lives just 20 mins away didn't send even a card, and unless Mr TCB had texted him twice on the day to request he at least make the effort to talk to me (I found this out after the event), I wouldn't have heard anything at all. We usually exchange presents, however he is prone to moods and selfishness, but I still struggle with feeling not cared for.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Minkie wrote:He asked where his present was, and I asked him where mine was. :lol: He was very fucking sheepish.
I should think so!
Tess

Post by Tess »

I have a brother exactly like that, TCB. I still send Christmas/birthday presents as it's a not sinking to his level thing, but they are notably cheaper than they used to be. But TBH, I know he's a thoughtless, selfish shit so expecting nothing is the easiest option. Ignoring his teenage nephews' birthdays gave me major rage, though.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Well done, Minkie :)). I was a bit hurt when for our last birthdays my younger brother got thousands of pounds from my dad whereas I got 4 magazines :sman:. It was ever thus in my family though, so I just tried to seem grateful for the magazines. Belated happy birthday, Rudyard.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Tess wrote:I still send Christmas/birthday presents as it's a not sinking to his level thing, but they are notably cheaper than they used to be.
I wouldn't even bother doing this - it's not a case of sinking to anyone's level, but he clearly doesn't think presents are in any way important, so OK then!

My siblings and I are very random about when we do/don't bother with presents for each other, but there's no set pattern to it. However, my little sister is abysmal at sending birthday cards, so much so that it's become a family joke. My parents are usually quite good on the gift front, although I'm still awaiting something from them for my 40th :sman:

(I would be hurt in your shoes Rudyard, as it's clearly a deviation from the norm, without warning, and that would sting. I hope it gets sorted out.)
Disco

Post by Disco »

I would also be hurt/ upset. One xmas my brother got £500 and I got £20 M&S vouchers and I was silently livid.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Ella & Disco :eek: You are better people than I in your restrained reactions.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Derek Nimmo wrote:Ella & Disco :eek: You are better people than I in your restrained reactions.
Absolutely this. I just don't understand how parents could treat their kids differently like this.

At least when my parents forget to send me birthday/ Christmas presents/cards I'm sure they're forgetting my brother as well in Australia.