How old were your parents when you were born?

Ella77

Re: How old were your parents when you were born?

Post by Ella77 »

I think mine were mid-thirties, which is my age now. I feel too young to have babies around :)).
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

It's a horrible expression.

My mum was horrified to be listed as an elderly first-time mother when she had me - she was 24. She was 28 when she had my brother (he was born a couple of days after her birthday). My Dad would have been 24 and 27 (he's a couple of week younger than my mum and always comments on it!)

I had my children at 28, 30 and 38 (Mr D was 27, 29 and 37).
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I feel too young to have babies :))
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

When I was born my parents had been together for about 12 years, Mum was very nearly 30 and Dad coming up to 33. My brothers were born 3, and then another 4 years later. I remember feeling at primary school that they were older parents, but they weren't the only ones by any means.

My grandparents on both sides must have been around 30 when my parents were born too, Dad was 3rd of 7, Mum 1st of 2. I met my great grandmother once as a child, but one of each set of grandparents had already died before I was born.
Karkadan

Post by Karkadan »

My parents were almost 35. They had been married for nine or so years when my sister was born - my dad had wanted kids, but my mum had wanted to pursue a career. I thought they were awfully old because my friends' parents were much younger. I still would have liked to have had my first when I was younger than I was.

My dad's parents were together a decade or so before they got married in their 30s and promptly had two kids in just over 18 months.
Tits McGee
Topaz Titanium

Post by Tits McGee »

My mum and dad were 28 and 30 when they had me, and 32 and 34 when my sister was born.

My granny was 42 when she had my dad (I don't know how old my grandpa was, but older than my granny by a few years I think) which must have been seen as really old in the 50's. He was their 3rd, and I think a bit of a surprise. :))
I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster
Calico

Post by Calico »

Mum was 27 and my father 31. Of my closest friends when I was a kid, they were the youngest parents, I think.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Mum was 19 and dad was 20. Ridiculously young.
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

My Dad was 35 & Mum was 32 when they had me. They were 30 & 28 when my brother was born and they were married 5 years earlier still. They had a lot of trouble conceiving.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

My nan was 90 a couple of months ago and has two kids, five grandkids, four great grandkids, and four great-great grandkids.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Faddy

Post by Faddy »

My Mum was 27, my Dad 28. I thought that was quite old at the time because many of my friends' parents were younger than mine but only by a few years.

I was 33 when I had my eldest and 38 when I had my youngest. My husband was 38 and 43 respectively.

What would be considered old now?
Birdy Numnum

Post by Birdy Numnum »

My mother was 40 when she had me, my dad was 42.
I am the youngest of three. My brother is 61 :eek:
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Mr D's family is like that Birdy.

He's the second youngest of six and his eldest brother is 62 or 63.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Karkadan

Post by Karkadan »

At E's school, I am bang in the middle of parental age - half are ten years younger than me (I'm 34, he's 5), and half are ten years older.
Savannah

Post by Savannah »

My mum was 36 when she had us.

My sister had her first one aged 30, and the youngest one aged 43.
Sarlat

Post by Sarlat »

My mum was 26 & my Dad 28. I'm the eldest of two. They got married when they were 22 & 23 I think; I know they waited a while before having children. They seem to be about the average age for parents among my friends, but it seems horrifyingly young to me. They were grandparents in their 40s & I'm about to have my first baby at 41.

My dad turned 30 shortly after my sister was born & apparently her comparative youth plunged him into despair for a bit. :lol:
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

nineseven wrote:My mum said she felt left on the shelf at 26 (in the mid-70s). Such a vile expression.
My gran married at 23 (had my dad at 24 and was widowed the same year) and her mother had apparently given up all hope of her marrying :ella:.

My folks married when they were 21 and 23 but neither wanted children. 7 years later my mum was offered the post of deputy head on the condition she wasn't planning to have children :eek: and when made to choose they decided to have my sister (the fools) and me three years later (less so). They were 32 and 34 when they had me, the same ages P and I were when we had our eldest.

My friend had her children at 21, 23, 25, 37 and 42. She wouldn't go out when her youngest (now 5) was a baby as she was afraid of being mistaken for his grandmother. There are several other mothers her age at our children's school alone but she can't see it.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I don't understand the deputy head thing? She got offered a job, she didn't want kids, so she decided to have kids? I am missing something. :))
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I read it as she decided to have children rather than take the job, but I could be wrong.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

That's how I read it as well, Pip.

My mum was 30 when she had me and 26 when she had my bro. I always thought she was sooooo old, but again now realise she wasn't really.

So same age as me when I had SB1. My GP told me I was classed as an elderly mother, but she was pregnant as well and older than me so said "what nonsense"
Malan