The 'is this ok?' thread

olive
Really Creepy

Re: The 'is this ok?' thread

Post by olive »

Almost everyone I know is cleaning down their grocery shop before putting it away!

I had a moment of madness yesterday when I was thinking about each touch point of going to the supermarket from door handles to car keys. I’m going to drive myself mad at this rate wiping my wallet, keys etc every two minutes. :twitch:

I met my neighbours for porch drinks last night as it was a warm evening. We sat on my driveway which is quite normal here, both brought their own chairs and drinks and we sat around 2m apart. No touching or face to face contact - it was slightly weird but much needed.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Apparently The Downs (large open public park in Bristol) is absolutely heaving. And as lovely as the gesture by the NT is, and as much as I adore NT properties, they've flipping heaving at the best of times just with their own members, they'll be over run at the weekend I'd imagine, so I'm (as a member) giving that a wide berth. I will be taking walks/cycles/runs (when I can run) for as long as humanly possible (unless I'm actively isolating, that is), though, I'm trying to think of less alluring venues to go to. I honestly don't think I can manage my own mental health if I don't.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I haven't been cleaning any of my shopping! :panic:

How much cleaning, should we be doing? Of surfaces etc? I'm having a bit of a panic about all the kids toys. Should I be cleaning these daily, more often?

And do we need to be using bleach on everything?
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

On our news yesterday they said that soap and water, vinegar, and bleach were all effective, and that the virus is quite fragile once out of our bodies.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

This is a really stupid question, dogs can't get it, can they? The office dog came in today and he coughed earlier. :eek:

I am sure I've seen people saying online animals can't get it but I'm so paranoid I don't know anymore.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Mr C’s ex asked her GP if she could get CV from dogs and they said no, there is a small risk that it can be transmitted if someone with CV touches your dog and then you touch your dog but it’s minimal risk :look:
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

No more likely to catch it from him than my boss then. :ella:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Surely you don't need to clean anything more than usual if you're not really leaving the house? I mean, outside surfaces might be dirty but ones in your house are only being touched by people in your house? So baby toys are fine unless you're having other babies round?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm not cleaning my shopping because it might send me mad. I'm washing my hands after opening post though.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Yes, it would drive me mad to wash every item of shopping. I put my last order away, then washed my hands. I am also washing after handling post. J (bless him) texted to warn me that without thinking he had licked the sticky bit of the envelope of my Mother's Day card, and to Be Careful when I open it. I also think that if you are indoors and only you and your family are touching things, you are as safe as you can be. Baby toys should be fine with usual washing, I think.

My question is whether it is ok to go (in the car) to the lodge/caravan in the Lakes? It is our own place, and there would just be us there taking the same precautions as here, but with a change of scenery. I doubt we would stay for long, though, as there is (obviously) a lot less space than there is here, and we have a chance to drive one another mad if we don't go out :lol:.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Morgs, I suppose the question is whether you could get home quickly and without spreading infection if one of you starts to get ill. Also worst case scenario - density or speed of healthcare response where you are going if you needed it there, and the amount of time any response might use from the relevant services (e.g. if an ambulance has to make a 60 min round trip to you, rather then 15 mins in town, you’re effectively using 4 times as much of a scarce resource).
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Good points, H1ppy. If Mr M got ill, it would be a nightmare, as I don't drive. If he could drive and I took ill, it's a couple of hours away from here. The nearest big hospital would probably be Carlisle, which is about as far away as the nearest big one from here, so that's maybe less of an issue, but it would be even more difficult if either of us had to stay in hospital over there for any length of time.

Hmm, it's looking like a no then :sad:. I've just shelled out nearly £5k in rent and insurance, too. Not as important as health, obviously, but it is a massive pain.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Cornwall are actively asking people not to travel there as they are concerned their minimal healthcare provision (designed round a rural and transient population) would be overwhelmed if both the population and people travelling needed care at the same time. I think the Lakes would be easily overwhelmed. Whitehaven Hospital is barely sufficient for the west coast. Serious cases go to Preston and Lancaster.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I posted on another thread that Spain is having big issues with people from Madrid travelling to their second homes on the coasts so it's trying to get people to stay put. It's rubbish though when that's the kind of place your want to be right now.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Yes, it's going to be a no. I hadn't planned to do anything except sit on the decking watching the river, but you are all right about if we got ill.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

They rounded up all the second-homers in Norway last week and sent them back to the cities so that they didn’t overwhelm rural hospitals.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

They're saying that that was a big cause of the spread in Italy too - city people taking it to the coast.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Yep. I can definitely see the appeal, but it’s a terrible idea of lots of people are doing it. (Actually, that applies to pretty much everything :idea:.)
Last edited by Ella77 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I’ve just been reading about Southwold being a bustling town because all the second home owners have decamped there. I understand it’s nicer to be isolated in Southwold than an inner city, but I doubt the medical services there are set up for the additional people.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

My idiot boyfriend has just asked if his brother* can come over tomorrow.

* who has been going into work in the City out of choice because he doesn't want to be in his flat, and has achieved this by telling them he's working with a team who he's not actually working with, because that would necessitate him being in the office. He also went to the pub last night. He has also just realised he hasn't got any food in.

I have told him he can go and walk round the park with him if he wants to see him.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents