Bathroom Refurb

Mayday

Re: Bathroom Refurb

Post by Mayday »

Could you find tiles a similar colour to the wet walls? That is what we have and they seem to match pretty well. ETA a pic might help.
Last edited by Mayday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

AND you can tile over tile on walls (sorry if that's already been considered and discounted).
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Really big tiles also means less grout. We put really big floor tiles in our ensuite with slightly smaller in the same finish on the walls.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I've just got tiles on the walls around my bath and above my sink. The rest are just painted. I think the WW look like an old person's home bathroom.
Malan
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Marth wrote:I've just got tiles on the walls around my bath and above my sink. The rest are just painted. I think the WW look like an old person's home bathroom.
This is what I want (what you have, not an old people's home bathroom :)) ), but because there are currently tiles on all the walls, from floor to ceiling, they will have to come off and all 4 walls be replastered. The bathroom guy is dubious about the condition underneath the tiles, and thinks it will be a big replastering job. I am going to ask him to quote me for it as it's my preferred option.

Big tiles may help but it's not a big room so I don't know how they'd look.

Mayday, sorry I'm not sure what you mean - do you mean have a mix of wet wall and tiles?
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Yes, we have wet walls for our shower cubicle and tiles in the rest of the bathroom.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I have the same at Marth, so I hope replastering is less than you think.

Your mum's hellish comment has made me laugh. Sit on the fence, why don't you! My parents have the wet wall in their shower and I think it looks fine, but I can't imagine what four walls of it would be like.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Marth

Post by Marth »

I bet you could get those tiles off with one of those thingies, without too much bother. (I can't think of what the thingy is called)
Malan
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

My bathroom is both tiny and internal and I think they look fine (not that I was responsible for putting them in).
Marth

Post by Marth »

Maybe also get someone else to quote for the tile removal and replaster, as it could be that your guy isn't too keen to do it.
Malan
sally maclennane

Mayday wrote:Yes, we have wet walls for our shower cubicle and tiles in the rest of the bathroom.
Ah right, I am not averse to some WW, I just don't want all 4 walls to have it. That is a nice look, matching like that.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I think larger tiles actually make it look more spacious, if anything.

I think you shouldn't compromise what you want, as you will be using the space several times a day as long as you live there, and if you are finding something dissatisfactory now even before it's done, just imagine the little niggle you'd get every time you go in there.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Obviously it depends on budget (and I am used to nothing about my house being cheap :bite: ) but I wouldn't compromise what you want for the sake of £500 if you can afford it. I think you've said you want to be in this house for a long time, and it would be a shame to regret not doing what you wanted every time you walk into the bathroom.
sally maclennane

My mum said the same as you, Lora & Hippy, about not compromising. When I replaced my kitchen in the flat, I opted for cheap worktops and I really regretted it so your point about walking in and being annoyed by it is very valid, Hippy. This is a lot of money for me, and a lot of upheaval so I want to love it.

I am going to ask him to quote me for the replastering work and take it form there.

Del, that looks lovely!
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I know I showed you the boarded part earlier but on the other side, I have large tiles and a painted bit.

I wouldn't compromise on getting what you want either as you'll only regret it later.
IMG_20170718_204001.jpg
IMG_20170718_204016.jpg
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I thought of you at the weekend when I was upstairs at my mum and dad's house, as they have wet walls in their shower room. I am not a fan but it looks good in that room, where it only covers the inside of the double length shower. The other walls are just plastered and painted, apart from tiles behind the sink.

However I agree on not compromising, not if £500 is the difference between something you love and something you don't mind.
sally maclennane

Yes, it seems like a lot of people have it on one or two walls, it's just the idea of all 4 walls. J seems to think that this will look fine but I am not convinced.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I don't like the idea of four walls the same at all. I think with the wet walls stuff all over it'd feel like a caravan.

I missed that it's only £500, for that difference I'd wait a few months until you've saved it/put stuff on a credit card (especially if you could get a 0% intro rate) to get exactly what you want.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I think in an ideal world I'd want walls away from the shower / bath to be neither tile nor wetwall. Oh and maybe behind the sink too of course!
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

sally maclennane wrote:Yes, it seems like a lot of people have it on one or two walls, it's just the idea of all 4 walls. J seems to think that this will look fine but I am not convinced.
I went and checked the family bathroom and it's on all four walls and the ceiling! :mog: There's black in the shower and white everywhere else. I think it looks fine and it's very easy to clean when small boys miss the toilet. :lg: Not a problem in your house, granted.

However, don't compromise. It's your house and you need to love it. It shouldn't just "do" for the sake of £500.