2021 renovations

F'Artiste

Re: 2021 renovations

Post by F'Artiste »

Jupiter wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:51 pm
Will it be tough getting planning, F'arty?

I don’t think so - what we want to do isn’t too outlandish, it’s not like we’ll be creating a forty foot kitchen, and the roof isn’t too far above the fence level, so I don’t think it would block too much light for the neighbours. But the neighbour I get on well with might object as it would be quite disruptive for her.

Bramble, that sounds really lovely (well the damp less so).
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Exciting that you might move, Bramble? To Bristol maybe?

We need to get this bloody house finished this year.

The roof is finished but still leaking so that has to be sorted. After that all the upstairs and the hall, stairs and landing will be replastered - I will bid a final joyful farewell to the apricot coloured wallpaper and floral borders. As part of that job we are taking down a wall between two bedrooms to make a massive bedroom for me and Paul. It takes us down to two bedrooms rather than three but it we want to sell it's just a case of chucking a partition wall back up.

So then decorating and new carpets. I can't wait to have a nice bedroom, it's been years.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Turtle Bean wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:49 pm Exciting that you might move, Bramble? To Bristol maybe?
:lg:
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Our roof is still leaking and I'm waiting on the only roofer that actually turned up to look at it to let me know when we can get it fixed. Once that is done we should know how much money we have left and what (if anything) we can do in the garden.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

bramblerose wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:53 pm
Turtle Bean wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:49 pm Exciting that you might move, Bramble? To Bristol maybe?
:lg:
Come and live near me!
Malan
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Exciting!
Luna

Post by Luna »

We are kitchen planning. I’ve done a radical change of mind regarding colours and worktops. Originally I was going to have navy units with white work surfaces but I think although it’s a light room, it’s small and it may feel a bit claustrophobic. So now I’ve gone with a lighter colour and a grey oak work top. Im going to have a coloured splash back behind the cooker and I think I’ll have a ceramic under mount sink instead of SS. I’m now researching integrated washing machines as I don’t like how the WM stands out and am shocked how bloody expensive they are.
Here are a couple of mock ups. It’s Howdens Fairford in pebble.
7EE7D341-B163-41CB-837C-3CBD641444B7.png
A5EAF556-3CB1-4C87-ADD8-5E8A9D4BFF00.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I like that Luna. I do like navy units but I think they’ll date quicker than lighter neutrals.

Exciting, Beatrix! Are you keeping the range? I think we have the same one in stainless steel. If you have a trick for cleaning it please let me know :cry: Do you have a temporary kitchen and a lot of M&S microwave mash? :))
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Ooh we’re getting Fairford too Luna, but in forest green. Looks good too, lots of handy cupboards.

Exciting Beatrix! No way back now.

Our work has dropped back a couple of weeks but hopefully we’ll still start mid April. Our builder is coming round on Sunday to sort a few other things (mainly a hole in the roof) so hopefully we can pin him down to a date then.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Forest green, Chicky! Love it!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

That is all very exciting, Beatrix!

I am starting to meet with design & build companies about renovating my whole house :look: Everything from a potential (probable) rewire, knocking down the 1970s lean-to, creating an open-plan kitchen diner with doors onto the garden, fixing some damp, decorating and flooring throughout, new patio, sorting out the front wall and front garden. When I actually do it depends on the prices that come back (I expect it will be next year). TBH I want it done all in one go to get it sorted so it will definitely involve moving out. I've long lined up somewhere to stay (my friend's box room!) so I hope that still works out.

It's been weirdly hard to find a contractor as everyone only wants to do extensions and loft conversions.

In the mean time, I'm getting a new fence in the back garden which will make a huge difference - the current one is completely broken and depressing.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I know what you mean. I am genuinely so excited about having a new fence :lol: :granny: The previous owners here did everything badly and cheaply and I'm having to undo it all.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Forest Green sounds lovely. I’m now wondering if we can get the WM in a cupboard.

That sounds like a lot of work, Nince!
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

One of my friends has just had a forest Green kitchen fitted, with copper worktops and it's glorious.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Luna wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:58 pm That sounds like a lot of work, Nince!
Not enough for most contractors! They all seem to want people spending £100k plus on extensions.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Well that’s annoying. You’d think people would be glad of the work.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Luna wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:22 pm We are kitchen planning. I’ve done a radical change of mind regarding colours and worktops. Originally I was going to have navy units with white work surfaces but I think although it’s a light room, it’s small and it may feel a bit claustrophobic. So now I’ve gone with a lighter colour and a grey oak work top. Im going to have a coloured splash back behind the cooker and I think I’ll have a ceramic under mount sink instead of SS. I’m now researching integrated washing machines as I don’t like how the WM stands out and am shocked how bloody expensive they are.
Here are a couple of mock ups. It’s Howdens Fairford in pebble.

7EE7D341-B163-41CB-837C-3CBD641444B7.pngA5EAF556-3CB1-4C87-ADD8-5E8A9D4BFF00.png
I like that Luna. Are they pull out larder units next to the fridge? Unless they have improved in the last few years, I'd consider getting pullout baskets or drawers.

We had one and took all the bits out and replaced with baskets and shelves and it so much better and we've fittes loads in.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Luna wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:38 pm Well that’s annoying. You’d think people would be glad of the work.
There’s LOADS of work out there for them at the moment. My bathroom chap is booked up for the rest of the year and all the decent builders round here are run ragged!
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Yep, my builders were booked out for the next 8 months or so when they were doing ours before Christmas.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Oh I better get looking now.
Malan