Moving on Up/Out

Skips

Re: Moving on Up/Out

Post by Skips »

How did you get on Ophelia?

I guess I ought to come back onto this thread.

I saw two agents yesterday, both have put me forwards for roles; one permanent and one on a fixed term contract. The latter already wants to meet me, so I'm waiting for a confirmation of the time of the interview (should be tomorrow). I comforted that there seems to be a few things out there (as I only started looking on Monday). Obviously I would prefer a permanent role, but I have bills to pay and you never know, a contract or temp work might lead on to something else should I get one of those (I'm applying for anything at the moment).
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Good luck Skips, that sounds promising.

I've been put on an advanced development programme which sounds really interesting. I'll get assigned a coach (external to the organisation) who will help in respect of goals/moving things forward. It should certainly help as I really want to find another role pretty soon.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That's sounds good Pov.

When is your interview, Skips?

I'm applying for a job! It's a clerical assistant/technician in the science faculty at a secondary school so term time only, and part time. I didn't really want anything this soon but they want someone ASAP but there's no harm in applying.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Good luck Squirrel

And that does sound good Pov.

My interview was last Thursday. He is seeing two other people today and then a decision should be made. I started a two week temp job this morning though, if I get it I'm not sure how that works as it's through the same agency.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Good luck! I hope they let you know soon.

The agency will manage it, you would either finish the current temp job and start after, or they will find a replacement temp. It's the nature of hiring temps and they'll cover it.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I hope it's positive news soon, Skips. And best of luck for the interview Squirrel!

I have put any plans I had on hold, as I really need to get my second knee done under private healthcare. Being back at work as opposed to sitting stewing at home has helped hugely, and I've had another small victory. I am still looking around and have some people looking around for me subtly, but don't feel as desperate to leave as I did which I know makes me very lucky.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That sounds good Lily, there's no hurry to leave at the moment if you're finding being back at work helps. Do you know when you may be able to get your other knee done?

I have completed the application form, references are a bit of a problem as they want a minimum of two and I have zero, but as it's for a fairly entry-level clerical role I hope it won't be a deal breaker. My ex employer will only confirm that I worked there and I haven't kept in touch with anyone useful. I can ask my manager at the charity I volunteer for.

It needs a covering letter as well but I'm shattered and have got a headache so I'll save that for tomorrow.

I last updated my CV in 2010 :lol:. It was when I was either going to change jobs or get pregnant, and I didn't change jobs. I couldn't remember the name of one of the companies that I worked for at all, or anything about my professional qualification. I have pieced it together now.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Definitely ask the person at the charity Squiz, it's a totally valid reference. And good luck!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

September, hopefully. This one needs to get back to normal first!

When I was doing my CV for LinkedIn I missed out 2 companies I forgot I'd worked for! It's easily done. Let us know how it goes!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Skips

Post by Skips »

That sounds positive Lily, and if you can get your knee done via private healthcare I definitely think it's worth hanging on if you can.

I had to go back for a second interview/chat today with the girl that's on secondment and another PA, so I'm still none the wiser. They are seeing one other person later and I should know this side of the weekend - I was hoping today but they made it sound more likely tomorrow.
Princess Morripov

Everything crossed Skips!

I applied for another role internally yesteday. I don't even think I want it/have the credentials to do it but my (new) manager sent me the link and the closing date was that day so I thought, fuck it, apply, and I'll think about it later :lol: The job description/requirements sound incredibly complicated but I think they often do that anyway. Dumbing it down (in my head) basically sounds like managing a team for a particular portion of financial crime compliance globally which isn't all that different from what I'm doing at the moment.

I felt that I can't really moan about wanting to go for a higher grade/different role and someone provide me an option and then bypass it :lol:
Skips

Post by Skips »

I got the six month contract! I am waiting to hear when my start date is and to confirm the salary, it could be as early as next Monday or they are going to see if I can finish temping here and start there on the 20th (this is a two week job).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Congratulations :bel:!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Brilliant, well done!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Well done you!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Princess Morripov

Oh that's great, nice one Skips! :disco:
Skips

Post by Skips »

I'm starting on the 20th. The pay is lower than I would have liked, but I'm going to go with it for now as I'm hoping the change in company type (it's more civil service than corporate) will also come with less pressure. I can always look again in six months if I need to.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Well done!
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Well done Skips!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

That's really good news, Skips.
Malan