Moving on Up/Out

Rebel Pebble

Re: Moving on Up/Out

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Definitely the right decision. Well done for getting the offer though!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Blimey. On call permanently and for this they offer the legally mandated minimum holiday allowance?
Mrs Danvers

Post by Mrs Danvers »

AshleyX wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:22 am I agree it’s ridiculous. The on-call 24/7 wouldn’t even be worth it for mega-bucks, so for pennies, absolutely not.
Totally. What is it with these ridiculous, demanding start-ups? So it's your baby and you want to watch over it 24/7? Good for you, knock yourself out. For everyone else, it's just a job.

I think you absolutely did the right thing, Beanio. They sound like they already have very unrealistic expectations. There's a much better job out there for you.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

smalex wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:42 am Blimey. On call permanently and for this they offer the legally mandated minimum holiday allowance?
I know! What the hell?

I turned down a job once at a place that was based in the States, and they “hadn’t established their UK HR policies yet” so they couldn’t offer me a fixed amount of leave, or sick leave, nor any other benefits at all yet but “we’ll give you £40 a month towards your gym membership if you have one”. Sounds good, right :ella:?

Well done for being offered it, Bean. Did you get a chance to say why you were turning it down?
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Yes, the recruiter was really nice actually and I explained it all politely but added that the permanent on call was a red flag they might want to think about.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Also yes the holiday days were the last straw to be honest, plus a work mobile being offered as a perk! It's not 1995, we all have one now.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Turtle Bean wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:25 pm a work mobile being offered as a perk!
:lol:

I feel a bit sorry for them now.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Turtle Bean wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:25 pm Also yes the holiday days were the last straw to be honest, plus a work mobile being offered as a perk! It's not 1995, we all have one now.
:lol:

Especially in the context of the On Call situation. Oh joy! The "perk" of a work mobile I have to keep glued to my person and on at all times. :lg:
smalex

Post by smalex »

Turtle Bean wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:25 pm Also yes the holiday days were the last straw to be honest, plus a work mobile being offered as a perk! It's not 1995, we all have one now.
No! If you asked politely, might they let you use the office Fax machine from time to time?
Last edited by smalex on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Good for you, Bean.

When you're on call 24/7, does that mean you have to have your phone on all the time in order for them to be able to wake you in the night?
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Yes, it does. I don't mind doing it, but normally you are on a rota and get an on call payment plus time in lieu.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Smal!

Well done on both points - the offer and having the self belief to reject it.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

That's awful without a rota! I can't even imagine. What could possibly be that important? Do they do the IT for the nuclear button?
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Turtle Bean wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:44 pm Yes, it does. I don't mind doing it, but normally you are on a rota and get an on call payment plus time in lieu.
That set up makes sense, but permanently having one person is ludicrous. What if you got ill? And I imagine the constant stress would mean that was inevitable.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Telling someone to try turning it off and on and again during an MRI scan, funeral etc.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

( :mischief: ) I am being flippant, obviously. But they sound silly. What did they say when you turned it down, Beans?
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

They offered you £1k more :woteva:. That says a lot.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Squirrel wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:01 pm They offered you £1k more :woteva:. That says a lot.
That extra £19.23 a week (before tax) must have been hard to turn down :uhh:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ve still not had a formal offer but to be fair my new manager has been amazing at communication. I had to have a criminal history check done given the department I’ll be working for which took over a week. And now he’s chasing down the CIO who hasn’t been around to sign off on my appointment so I should get confirmation on Wednesday and will then resign on Thursday.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I didn't get the job. They said I was their "favourite candidate" so far, but they said to the recruiter that I wanted to change the tone of voice, which is exactly the opposite of what I told them in the interview and in my written pieces. :lol: I feel very strongly that the founder simply doesn't want to hand over control of this part of the business to someone else. I think he'd be very difficult because of that. So I give zero fucks.