Re: Moving on Up/Out

Post by Lily »

Blimey, I am so behind the times. :granny:
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

For internal interviews in our place, they insist on phoning you with the outcome. Having had quite a few rejections, I would honestly rather have an email than an awkward conversation with someone who doesn't want to give me a job.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

True! It just seems so impersonal. But then maybe that's not a bad thing.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

We do all ours by phone. It's hard to do but I always felt that if someone took the effort to come to interview, the least I could do was call them personally to tell them they didn't have the job. Horrible doing it though.
Malan
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I would far rather an email! What an awkward conversation. If someone phoned I’d expect that I had the job.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Marth wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:15 pm We do all ours by phone. It's hard to do but I always felt that if someone took the effort to come to interview, the least I could do was call them personally to tell them they didn't have the job. Horrible doing it though.
It is, and I have had to make those calls too. As the applicant though, I would rather have an email (with the offer of a call/meeting to get feedback) because it's so awkward, and I'd rather have time to process the information without having to talk to anyone :introvert: It's one of those things that's different for everyone so companies should be clear in advance how they'll do it, and offer different options if they can.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Yes, I never think what I would like to say on the phone when it's a no, and would value the time to process it and get back to them.
Malan
Hazey_Jane

Re: Moving on Up/Outi

Post by Hazey_Jane »

In my last location, if you didn’t get the job they’d set up a meeting with you in Outlook. So you’d be on a horrible limbo situation of knowing you hadn’t got the job but not why (because of course they contact the successful candidate ASAP). It drove me mad and I think it’s horrid, I just want to hear the no as soon as possible.

Last time they did it to me, the meeting was booked for 30 minutes. I sat there taking on all their negativity (honestly, it was just awful, they had nothing positive whatsoever*) that when they asked me “did I have any questions” I just said no and thank you for the feedback like a true Apprentice candidate and mustered what little dignity I had left and walked out.

* a little while later I asked one of the two that did it why they even bothered to interview me and was told it was because of the strength of my covering letter. Errr, no, wrong answer, you interview someone if you think/ believe they can do the job which based on the feedback was completely inconceivable. She also told me they were very surprised by my reaction and they just sat there gawping at each other, amazed by my boldness. Well fuck you.

I am so fucking ecstatic I am out of there and I never have to see either of them again.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Updating this on my interview back in November.

I've just received a lovely email telling me that although it was extremely close they determined that the other candidate I was up against had more experience and that I wasn't successful.

They've invited me to write to them for feedback which I'll need a few days to assimilate the info before I decide one way or the other.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
smalex

Post by smalex »

After the really long saga S got the job! He really wants the role itself so I am pleased for him. I'm wary because he was messed around and also because I don't like change :lol: but it's in Bristol and they do seem decent generally so I hope it works out fine.
Thanks again Del, he printed off your post after I emailed it to him and I know he found it useful.

Sorry to hear that Duo. Its an awfully long time to be kept hanging on.
Last edited by smalex on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That’s a shame, Duo, though I’m glad it was a lovely email.

Well done S!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’m really sorry, Duo. That’s shit.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Oh, balls Duo, that must be very disappointing however nicely they've told you.

Well done S!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Sorry, Duo. Is there anything else on the horizon?

Well done, S!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Brilliant smal! I'm so pleased for him.

I do hope you go back to them Duo, they could clearly do with the feedback on their process. Completely understandable if you can't bring yourself to do it though, and I'm really sorry it didn't work out as hoped.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Well done, S!

I'm sorry it didn't work out, Duo. I hope you find something better very soon.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Thanks guys, I will do it but didn't want to fire off an email straight away without digesting any of the info.

Nothing else on the horizon as I'd been a bit lax over Christmas. I'm just really sore about it as it'd have been the perfect job, one that I'd hit the ground running with.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’m sorry you didn’t get the job, Duo. I hope the feedback is useful and there’s something better out there for you.

Well done, S!
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Where are my manners?

Well done S!
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

That's such a shame Duo. I had a quite similar situation years ago and it hit me really heard that I didn't get the job especially when the rejection was so lovely, but they came looking for me for a different role later. I wasn't in a position to take it then but bear that in mind when phrasing any email you send. If they liked you you could plant a seed in their minds.