Moving on Up/Out

Livilla

Moving on Up/Out

Post by Livilla »

A rebooted jobs thread for those of us looking for a change...

Baa - how did you go in your negotiations? And Marth, I hope something else that meets your wishes comes up very soon (same wishes to Pip!).

I was supposed to be starting a secondment to an external organisation as of 1 January. It was all organised in November, and I turned down another internal role to take this up. We backfilled my role and did a lengthy handover, as I was doing some quite complex stuff, that couldn't just be handed to someone at the last minute. And then, about 10 days before Christmas, the guy who had arranged it with me (he would have been my boss) resigned, and I was told that while they still want me, I can't go there for a few months at least. Excellent. :lg: :lg:

Anyway, since I am quite surplus to requirements now in my old department, I have been looking quite frantically for something else to do. :lol: Luckily HR gave me a heads up that someone elsewhere's maternity leave cover had resigned partway through the year, and so one quick meeting with the head there and I am moving to take that role over on 1 Feb. It sounds quite interesting, and will be a complete change - I will be nominally in charge of setting our strategy and agenda for various things (erm, better start reading up now!) but it's only for six months, so I'm quite looking forward to it...
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Re: Moving on Up/Out

Post by baargain »

Everything ground to a halt for a bit, and has only just got moving again. I had to chase them to see what was happening, and then it all leapt into life again. I still haven't seen or spoken to anyone in depth about it, apparently I get a full day of that on 25th Jan. The people who I will be supervising have no idea about it all as yet, so I'm stuck waiting for now.

The faffing about does mean I have reduced my caseload in preparation though!
mischief

Post by mischief »

I was given a heads up just before Christmas that a security post will be coming up soon by my assistant director which is the field I want to move into. Long story but a role came up 2 years ago which I applied for, he saw my application but wasn't part of the hiring process and was furious when I didn't even get an interview as he said my application was excellent. I will be told when it goes to advert and will just need to wheak my cv at that point. I must admit I would be devastated if I get knocked back again as I have been doing the security work for the last 8 years and that is the subject my Masters in in.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

You could come work for us mischief, we are looking for all the security consultants! (yeah, it's Swindon, no one wants to work in Swindon!)

good luck Livilla but man, that's massively infuriating! Sounds like your cover will be very interesting at least and the amount of network building and understanding would be excellent. I bet everyone knows you now and you'll always be thought of when a new job pops up.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Good luck with the new job Liv and nice one on finding something in the interim!

Good luck to you as well Mischief, I hope this job comes off and things get moving for you Baa.

I'm going round in circles at the moment as to whether I resign or not. I'm really fed up at how things have panned out and I feel really demotivated but the thought of not having a job also makes me nervous. What will I do with myself?
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Everyone finally knows about the supervision changes! And it should all start in March (ish). The delay appears to mostly be due to one of our partner agencies (we're NHS plus two charities in an unhappy arranged marriage). I knew it would be them, they're annoying and difficult in general :sweepinggeneralisation:

Anyway! I am cautiously optimistic about the whole thing. It sounds like it might work. And I am gonna do less work than I thought. And can still mostly be in charge of where I want to be and when.
Ophelia

Post by Ophelia »

That sounds great Baa and March isn't too long to wait.

I've been speaking to my MD about new roles because I a) hate my boss and b) can't find another job.

We were talking about an international role and he's put something together for me which could be really exciting (albeit hard work) It would be UK based with travel initially but there should be flexibility to relocate if things work out. He's sorting out a trip for me to meet the international team in the next couple of weeks and we'll see how it goes from there.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That sounds interesting! Roughly where might the role be located to (if you can say)?
Ophelia

Post by Ophelia »

Well it depends on the territory I get so could be Germany or Denmark maybe. I'd be happy with those :))
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I would angle for Denmark. ;) It sounds exciting though!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Ophelia

Post by Ophelia »

:lol: I will
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

That's so exciting, Oph. Fingers crossed it comes off for you.

Mr O's best friend is based in Aarhus 3 days a week and loves it out there.

Not much happening here. I suspect my new boss is pushing for me to get more recognition which is nice but I'm fairly certain I'm resigning soon regardless.

One my clients has a vacancy and have asked if I'd be interested (no, as it's full time) and a headhunter is chasing about a role (also no, as it's working for a former colleague).
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

No chance of asking for something part time Olive? And whereabouts in Deutschland, Oph?
Peroxide

Post by Peroxide »

Job hunting at the moment as my current job gets moved to Maidenhead in May and i'm not moving with it. Good news however is that i've got 2 interviews coming up.

1) John Lewis phone interview on Thursday was meant to be today but the hiring manager who was conducting interview was off ill so postponed to Thursday at 3.45.

2) Have a face to face interview with a payments and fraud systems provider on Friday about being there fraud manager, sounds a brilliant job so am well pleased to get this far.
absley

Post by absley »

Good luck, Prox.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I have started looking for something else Properly. Because I am the only one running my department I've been doing work most days I've been off sick. The IT support is horrendous so I had to go into the office this week and do something because I couldn't do it from home. To make matters worse, a large payment to a hotel needs paying, and the woman is getting irate, but the MD wants to know the ins and outs of a cat's arse and apparently clarification from me isn't good enough. He wants it from my boss, who is on leave. :ella: This invoice has been sitting with accounts for nearly 2 months as it is and I've been chasing it constantly. I also need desperately access to an IT site authorised but I am not important to authorise it myself so I have to get my boss to do it but he's on leave so I need to get someone else to authorise them but in order to do this I have to email someone else to set it up and then wait for the other person to authorise and they haven't done it for 3 days FFS :bomb:

I hate the fact that this company don't care about my department and I have to shout and scream for anything to get done. I hate the fact authority I had for invoicing and very small things has been taken away so I have to wait for directors to come out having meetings about how many more meetings they need before they sign off invoices. I will miss my colleagues horribly, but I can still say friends with them and a lot of them are jumping ship, too. I've put out some feelers and have contacted a couple of competitors very circumspectly. If I could get a job with one of them it would be ideal, as I have so much aviation knowledge and 12 years' experience behind me.

Sorry, that's a splurge. Good luck to all the job hunters, and may some of that rub off on me!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Good luck, Lily!

I start my new role after I come back from holiday, I mostly know what I'm doing. Kind of. I met some of the other supervisors a couple of weeks ago. I currently supervise one, and she is sensible. I've known another one for a few years, and he is also sensible and takes no crap from management (as he was one, and ditched it in favour of clinical work). I will subvert the micromanagement culture that had been going on for too long. :evil:

There is no more money, but I have mostly retained control over my diary - one of the meetings meant I had to make a slight change, which is a bit more inconvenient, but I have kept my Monday and Thursday WFH mornings, and have ditched the annoying Wednesday afternoon clinic so I can be at base when everyone else is - it's entertaining when we're all in the same place at the same time, and it was sad to have to rush off before.
Ophelia

Post by Ophelia »

I am off to Warsaw for a couple of days to meet my potential new boss and the rest of the team.
Hopefully by the time I get back on Friday, I'll know if the job could work for me and them :weewee:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Good luck!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Finally! I hope it goes well.

Thanks Baa - being back and chatting to my boss has helped, but I'm still sure it's time to make a move. Subversion sounds good, and I hope it works out for you.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored