Moving on Up/Out

Tyla

Re: Moving on Up/Out

Post by Tyla »

Daire, that's brilliant and quite inspiring. Well done you.

Mrs Danvers, when I moved home from London I did several interviews where it was clear the interviewer had a problem with the fact I'd lived and worked there. I suppose if you've spent your whole life living and/or working in the same place someone who's been and done other things with their life seems threatening.

My work situation is a dire as ever but I have a plan. I am now actively pursuing some appropriate voluntary work so I can work out if being a Drugs and Alcohol Worker is something I would really want to do and could actually get paid work in. If I decide it is for me then I could drop another day here (which would take me to 3 days a week) which would hopefully allow me enough time to do the training. If I decide it's not for me then I will be very actively pursuing the best Office Manager/PA job I can find. Either way I plan to be out of this hideous job (or doing it part time purely to fund me while I retrain) by the end of the year.
It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "what about lunch?"
Mrs Danvers

Post by Mrs Danvers »

I think having a plan is half the battle, Tyla. The role you would like to do sounds very rewarding. I hope it works out for you.

So, I had a catch up with the recruiter after she spoke with the CEO. Long story short, he thought I was great (which was good to hear, at any rate :)) ) and really wants me to apply. She said he was very apologetic about Chippy being there and she said she was honest as she could be without slagging the woman off entirely! She said he was very diplomatic about Chippy but he also explained that she was promoted to director level before he got there which is why they have such an unusual fundraising set up. She thinks he's inherited her and this situation and is trying to make the best of it. She said he didn't admit to anything but he didn't disagree with my version of events but rather said he was sorry that I felt I got a grilling and as a result wasn't sure whether I still wanted to go for it.

Anyway, the full job pack comes out today or tomorrow and I am going to have a think about it. As it is, I will be in Oxford when they want to interview so unless they are very flexible, it will be out of my hands anyway.
Last edited by Mrs Danvers on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Isn't it at least worth the application? I mean if you get offered it you can always refuse if Chippy continues to seem like a pain in the arse.
Mrs Danvers

Post by Mrs Danvers »

Not necessarily, Smal. Making a good application is a lot of work which would be a waste of my time (and theirs) if I think I can't work with this woman.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

What a shame one annoying person might mean you don't go for it. She must be vaugely local, can the Glasgow posse not just warn her off for you. :verm: ;)

I have an interview on Friday. :panic: It's for an Exec Assistant role, although despite being called that it's more a mix of PA to the company director / Office Manager. It's in a good location and the company sounds pretty decent, it's less money than I am on now but not too much less so it's still workable.

The same recruiter who got me the interview is also putting me forward for a job with an agricultural animal feed company (similar role but this time PA/Office Manager/HR) so that might become another option; for some reason I like the idea of working in that sort of company, I think mainly because it would make a good talking point when I was asked what I do. :lol: It's possibly more money but it's also slightly longer hours and I'd have to drive rather than take the train like I do now.

Anyway, at least SOMETHING has happened, I was beginning to get a bit panicked at having had no interviews at all yet. :ella:
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yeah, I guess (can you tell I haven't had to apply for a job in a decade?!). It just seems such a shame when you feel like otherwise it could be such a good job and the guy is really keen on you.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

That sounds promising, Shoe!

I am looking at volunteer positions too, Tyla, mainly so I can get more involved in the community and meet people. I have seen a trustee role at a local branch of a charity which might be interesting. Does anyone else here do voluntary trustee work?
Mrs Danvers

Post by Mrs Danvers »

I know what you mean and it could be good but IME people *really* make or break a working environment and working with someone who is such a pain in the arse on first meeting rings massive alarm bells.

The last time I applied for a job (this one) it took me a good couple of days to submit the written application, then I had to take 1 and a half days off for interviews. It's a really laborious process and I already know from Chippy that there will be a presentation as part of the interview. My heart sank at that- you always have to do them in my line of work and it's SUCH a ball ache. So dated as well. I can't remember the last time I actually had to give a presentation to a donor. A lot of work to decide, if offered, that I don't want the job!
Mrs Danvers

Post by Mrs Danvers »

Sorry, I meant to say that sounds exciting Shoe! Good luck with them both.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I think you could maybe edge Chippy out if you fancied the challenge. But I know what you mean about people making a job.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

God, yes. 75% of the reason I left my last place was because of the ridiculous Reg (who wasn't there when I joined).
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

(Jelly Legs :lol: )
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh yeah I totally agree about people in a workplace. But I guess I wondered if maybe someone might knock her head against a wall and get her to simmer down a bit :likelyscenario:
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

nineseven wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm (Jelly Legs :lol: )
Oh how we miss those stories.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Glint

Post by Glint »

We really, really, really miss the stories :))
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Good luck, Shoe.
Tyla

Post by Tyla »

Two interviews Shoe :bounce: . That's excellent.
It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "what about lunch?"
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

That's brilliant Shoe. I bet you come across really well at interview.