Moving on Up/Out

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Moving on Up/Out

Post by Kenickie »

Well done Shoe! :fc:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

You'll smash it Shoe.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Thanks everyone.
Heebie Jeebie wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:39 pm That's brilliant Shoe. I bet you come across really well at interview.
I hope so! I think I generally come across quite well in person so I'm hoping if they like my CV they won't be put off in person. :fc:
Glint

Post by Glint »

You will dazzle them. Good luck.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

You will be fab, Shoebs! If I can help with anything re interviews, let me know!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

The recruiter is calling on Wednesday to coach me through specifics of the position so I think I'll be ok but thank you!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Good luck Shoe!
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Great work, Shoe! Good luck :turtle:

I’ve put my search on hold. Our CEO resigned yesterday and we are also looking for two other Exec level positions in a team of 6. So while we might be a bit rudderless for now, I’m hoping for some positive change in the coming months. Plus our interim CIO (usually my line manager, but he’s acting up) is developing a digital strategy finally so we might get some more exciting projects happening...
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Good luck, Shoe. You will be fab.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Good luck Shoe. I always think 80% of the battle is getting to an interview. You'll smash it.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Good luck Shoe!
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

The company I saw the week before last want me to go in for a second interview which is good; except that it's less money, sounded like a lot more work and hassle along with the fact I wasn't madly keen on the sound of the place, oh and I'd be responsible for two offices so there's likely to be travel. I'll definitely go to the second interview, for the experience, but they'd need to offer a good bit more money for me to seriously consider it.

I had another interview on Wednesday of last week, it went better (I thought) in that I liked the woman who interviewed me who I would be very closely working with and the job sounded really interesting. It's slightly longer hours but onthe same money I am on now. I've not heard anything back from them yet but it would be just like the thing if they weren't interested and the first company who I am not interested in were. :lol:
Tyla

Post by Tyla »

Don't worry too much yet that the second lot haven't come back to you - people can sometimes take an age to recruit. Fingers crossed they want to see you for a second interview.

As for the first lot, ask for more money - don't be afraid to point out that it's an increased amount of work and responsibility for less money than your current role. Employers need to realistic about the salary they are offering. I understand you are worried about looming redundancy but know your worth, Shoe. You are ace and any employer would be lucky to get you.

I had an agency approach me about an Office Manager role last week (she'd seen my CV online) and it transpired that it was less money than I earn now. She tried to convince me that it would be worth my while going back on a five day week to earn less money for what was a very average Office Manager job. I think I was meant to be excited that it was a PR firm :ella: . I told her to put my CV forward but if they wanted me they would need to match or increase my current full time salary which is the market rate. Needless to say I haven't heard back :)) .
It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "what about lunch?"
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I will definitely ask for more money if they offer it to me, there's a bit about having no direct reports or management requirements but then at the interview they told me I'd essentially be running and supervising the admin teams both in Glasgow and in a smaller office in Edinburgh and that's only a part of half the job role. I definitely got the feeling they thought they were the type of company I should WANT to work for, like you mentioned, but the perks are really not worth taking a drop in salary for more responsibility.

With the second lot, I am not too worried yet, the girl who interviewed me only does 3 days a week and I don't think Monday is one of them so I could yet hear tomorrow and that would still be less than a week which really is pretty quick.

I'm slightly disheartened by the salaries for Office Manager / PA / Exec Assistant roles; it's like every body wants experience and people who are happy to manage themselves and take on everything but they only want to pay what you'd give to a junior member of staff - it's such an undervalued area to work in. :lg:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Gender bullshit at work again.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Fingers crossed the job you want comes through, Shoe.
Tyla wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:32 pm I had an agency approach me about an Office Manager role last week (she'd seen my CV online) and it transpired that it was less money than I earn now. She tried to convince me that it would be worth my while going back on a five day week to earn less money for what was a very average Office Manager job. I think I was meant to be excited that it was a PR firm :ella: . I told her to put my CV forward but if they wanted me they would need to match or increase my current full time salary which is the market rate. Needless to say I haven't heard back :)) .
Honestly, creative places are the worst for bullshit like this. Yes, we’ll pay you less for the privilege of working for us. Fuck off. :ella:
Mrs Danvers

Post by Mrs Danvers »

That's hilarious. So you should accept less money because they sit on beanbags, provide a variety of teas and have someone come in and do yoga once a week? It's a bit like that in the charity sector- everyone is supposed to accept really terrible money or they don't really care about the cause *head tilt*.

I am keeping everything crossed for company 2, Shoebles :fc:
Tyla

Post by Tyla »

Shoe wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:46 pm I'm slightly disheartened by the salaries for Office Manager / PA / Exec Assistant roles; it's like every body wants experience and people who are happy to manage themselves and take on everything but they only want to pay what you'd give to a junior member of staff - it's such an undervalued area to work in. :lg:
Good business support staff are incredibly undervalued and what makes it even more frustrating is when you get someone in one of those roles who is rubbish at their job a business really feels it, but it still doesn't seem to make them value people who are good when they recruit again. The salary issue is a concern because, as well as the roles not being valued and respected as they should be, the low pay is becoming increasingly difficult to live on unless you are a 20 something still living at home with your parents. This has been the case for years but now with the cost of living rocketing it's set to become a bigger problem for anyone over 30.

As for companies thinking they're the dogs bollocks because they are an 'interesting/creative/supportive' industry and that you should be grateful even to be interviewed, they can most definitely fuck right off. Business support jobs are the same wherever you work and all I'm interested in is salary, a decent annual leave allowance and a good pension scheme. I'd also like a decent work/life balance and the office not to be a shithole. Everything else is just window dressing and stuff like monthly staff drinks means nothing to me.

The icing on the cake with the PR company was that they use psychometric testing as part of their interviewing process. My instant thoughts on hearing this was 'wankers' :lol: .

I sometimes think that if I ever win the lottery I will spend a few months applying and interviewing for jobs just so I can could have fun being totally and brutally honest with interviewers and recruitment consultants :)) .
It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "what about lunch?"
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Tyla wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:04 am Good business support staff are incredibly undervalued and what makes it even more frustrating is when you get someone in one of those roles who is rubbish at their job a business really feels it, but it still doesn't seem to make them value people who are good when they recruit again. The salary issue is a concern because, as well as the roles not being valued and respected as they should be, the low pay is becoming increasingly difficult to live on unless you are a 20 something still living at home with your parents. This has been the case for years but now with the cost of living rocketing it's set to become a bigger problem for anyone over 30.
You are so right, with S not working we're still getting by on just my wage and it's getting harder and harder to find roles which will even pay the same as I am on now let alone a decent bit more to account for inflation and the rising cost of living. :ella: On top of that, it's always 'the girls in the office' who are the ones running the bloody place and yet we're still referred to as if we do bit of light filing and make some tea for the important men so obviously we don't need to be paid much. :ruby:

I also have to do psychometric testing for this second interview I am having! I thought exactly the same thing when they told me about it being a waste of time. :lol: I am hoping it's just multiple choice questions and I don't have to make up stupid answers to invented senarios and things. :look:

I think you and I are essentially looking for the same role; your list of wants are my top requirements as well. I have no interest in a monthly staff event where I have to stand about making small talk with people I work with or them having an award for being a great workplace. I just want a fair wage, decent hours and a few benefits like a good pension scheme.
Tyla

Post by Tyla »

Shoe wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:42 pm it's always 'the girls in the office' who are the ones running the bloody place and yet we're still referred to as if we do bit of light filing and make some tea for the important men so obviously we don't need to be paid much. :ruby:
This has been the story of my working life and it infuriates me. Most of those important men couldn't find their own arse with both hands. When I used to supervise the 'general office' staff at my old job, who were mainly young people, whenever they came and told me some shithead solicitor had been rude/nasty/patronising to them, I would tell them this. 'Never let these people look down on you or make you feel bad about yourself. They may have a degree and big fancy career but they couldn't do your job for five minutes flat as most of them have neither the stamina or the common sense.' Unfortunately, although that was completely true it didn't make them any better paid :mad: .

I agree that you and I are looking for the same things in a job, Shoe - we've had very similar working lives and do the same sort of job. Keep the faith, there are some companies that value maturity and experience in their support staff and recognise that salary, pension and work/life balance are what truly matters to people. They may be in the minority but they are out there.