Holidays, Weekends, Travelling 2018

emma_p

Re: Holidays, Weekends, Travelling 2018

Post by emma_p »

I am so excited to do different holidays next year. Spain is top of my list, closely followed by Portugal. I think we might camp/airbnb in Tarifa with the kids and try for a long weekend in Lisbon too.

I hope we can fit in one more US trip before we leave but we'll have to see. We'll definitely have a last NYC trip while we can get there by train :love:
Little My

Post by Little My »

I love NYC at Christmas.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

It's a tradition of ours to go before Christmas but this year we can't make it (S is in London for pretty much the whole month). I'm sure it's still festive in January though. It'll be less crowded - that's for sure!
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Lovely lovely Porto.

I'm off skiing in early Jan and then contemplating various things but haven't booked anything. Iceland in March maybe, then Toulouse for a weekend in April, Thailand or Bali or Mauritius in June for my dad's 70th and then something in Sept but then in Dec it's my 40th and I have demanded New York and Barbados or Cuba or Mexico.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Well, Cos is definitely doing this right!

I don't have much planned but vague ideas. One thing that just got booked is a long weekend in a log cabin (with a sauna!) just outside Rainier national park in February. I have also tentatively found a week in March when I could go somewhere warm, so I am thinking that might be a return to Kauai :hbeat:

At the end of March I am hoping for a work trip back to Beijing - if that happens I might try to tag on the weekend in Hong Kong I missed out on over the summer. Then there will hopefully be another work trip to London in April and I might be able to swing Senegal and/or Mali. I am supposed to be doing a half marathon at Zion national park at the end of April :look:

I have to try and think of somewhere to go between May and mid-June before I go into rehearsals all summer. Maybe more national parks, or finally do the Oregon/California coast road trip I've been threatening for the last couple of years. I've just learned of a work trip to Brazil or Costa Rica in June which I now also want to set my sights on :lol:

Then I am planning to take at least a week off post-opera in early September which will probably also be a beachy, do nothing, relaxing trip. Maybe I should look at my airmiles and see if I can get to South America or Europe? Or Japan?? That's not so beachy, obvs.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve heard good things about the beaches in Okinawa, Epp.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

We will be heading to New York for E's birthday, but other than that I would guess there will be a lot of weekends away in the campervan without there being an actual holiday like last year.

I don't know for sure yet though.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

We have nothing planned yet but it's Mr R's 40th at the beginning of March so we need to organise SOMETHING! He suggested New York, but we've been there a few times already, so thought somewhere new would be better.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

Some great trips here.
We have Singapore, Hong Kong and Penang booked from March. It will probably be our honeymoon.
We usually go to my mum's apartment in Tenerife in June but might go to Croatia instead.
Back end of the year we're not sure yet. The Journalist wants to take me to South America but I'm nervous of the altitude with my blood pressure. Maybe just Argentina.
Peroxide

Post by Peroxide »

L and I are looking to go to Iceland for a weekend before our wedding as we had the plan to buy wedding rings from same store in Reykjavik as where we got the engagement ring.

Our mini moon after our wedding will be in the Rocksalt hotel in Folkestone.

We are very likely going back to North Iceland in late July probably around porshofn.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Some amazing plans for 2018! I love the sound of your honeymoon Tsu. Argentina is gorgeous, I'd love to go back there. I like the sound of your pre wedding Iceland trip to get rings, Prox. Mini-moons are the way forward.

We just had a booking frenzy. NYC at the end of January and Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - Bryce - Zion in February half term :weewee:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

You won’t regret it :disco:!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh amazing Emma. Might as well make the most of it!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

They are very good plans. :disco:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I couldn't think of a better place for this and it seems too early for a payday treat thread, but I just splurged a bit on a new carry on suitcase from Away. I'd been playing the basket dance with them for ages (and should have just got one last summer when I spent about half as much #cheap on a Samsonite that immediately turned out to be rubbish). Anyway, they are doing a limited edition twotone range and i ordered this.
IMG_9890.JPG
A friend who travels a LOT more than I do has one and raves about their suitcases so I hope it loves up to the hype.

Now I need to plan my first trip with it. :drill: My earmarked week in March is out because of the new director arriving that week. So I'm trying to find a 4-5 day weekend in Fen to do Death Valley.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Those are the ones all the bloggers have been pushing. Let us know what you think once you’ve used it!

Our holiday plans are very tentative. I’m still agitating for New Zealand, MAYBE over Christmas if we can, and ideally Iceland in the summer too. Baja California (Mexico) is also in the running, instead of one of the others, not as well as.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I will Ella. I expect those bloggers got theirs for free :lg: I am also investing in no small part due to baggage carousel identifiability, after the death of my old red case.

I was in Cabo last year, although I didn't do a huge amount of sight seeing or excursions. I'd definitely recommend San Juan over San Lucas, the old town is really nice (and rapidly developing in a boutique-y way, apparently Taylor Swift was there at the same time. I never saw her)
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

That looks great! A good suitcase can improve holidays immensely. I wish it could just do the unpacking and putting away part when you get home again too. Oh and prevent over packing.

We have skied this year already (amazing, really recommend the Dolomites in Italy over France, much less terrifying) and have booked a week in Mallorca over Easter with the intention of hiking in the north of the island. It looks super pretty and will be good for photography as well.

And then I think we are going to Mauritius in June for my dads 70th. And then shall be living on ramen until Xmas after all those big trips.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

So pretty, Est!

I’ve booked loads this week. All in the UK, but that’s how we roll.

Early March - solo weekend on Leeds for a school friend’s 40th (I’ve warned P already that this may not be the only one this year :lol: )
Easter - weekend in a shitty East Yorkshire caravan park
June - solo weekend in Brighton for a friend’s party (though a friend will join me for the party/Sat night)
Aug - week in a safari tent in Bude
Last edited by wendy james on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Mauritius! How lovely. That is a paradise holiday. Hiking in Mallorca also sounds brilliant.