A day trip to London

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

A day trip to London

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

If you were going to squeeze in as much as possible, as cheaply as possible, with two children (5 & 9), what would you do?

We’re already trying to work out the cheapest way to get there, which looks like using the train from Rugby, into Euston. Train travel is stupidly expensive!

Squeak wants to do the Eye, again £££.
Edith Bacon

Re: A day trip to London

Post by Edith Bacon »

Are you looking to do the traditional ‘sights’ cheaply or do you want to do other, cheaper stuff? I know I’ve touted this on here loads but I still think the Secret London book has loads of interesting stuff to see without spending $$$. It’s great for planning walking in London with kids as it makes getting from A to B more interesting.

Other than that, Tesco Clubcard might have offers on the usual sights and Time Out has good ideas for what’s on.

https://www.worldofbooks.com/secret-lon ... 7cQAvD_BwE
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

Have you got a family and friends railcard Pip? That can make a big difference to train prices. There's often an online offer for them and I think you can get discounts in some places with it.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Have you done the eye before, Pip? It's not only really expensive but also quite boring. I took my nephews up there and the novelty soon wore off as we moved verrrryyy slowly around in a transparent egg.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Whereas Sproglette loved the Eye on her school trip. :mrgreen: P and I combined it with a river tour with lunch when we went.

If you're only there for a day and doing the Eye, then there’s lots on the South Bank. Tate Modern is free, and you can see Westminster Cathedral, the Globe, St. Paul’s, London Bridge.

If you’re going to do the Kensington Museums, I prefer the V&A and Science Museum over the Natural History but I know the latter is popular.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve done the Eye and it’s fine, but you’re right about dull. I’d probably rather do an open top bus for the sights.

We did the NHM and the Science museum in Easter a couple of years (5?!) ago, and it was rammed and OK. So I’m in no great hurry to go back.
smalex

Post by smalex »

When we did the Shaun the Sheep trail we walked along the south bank for a while and that was a highlight really. There was so much going on, the river, different sights (sites?), street performers, bits of sculpture (the sort of thing kids love clambering over), I think we came back over the river at tower bridge/tower of london. It was a nice sunny day though so that helped. But free, lots of places to stop and get refreshments.
Last edited by smalex on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

The British Museum might be worth a look, as there's likely to be something they are interested in (mummies, Eqyptian statures and Rosetta stone, Sutton Hoo etc). It's also helpfully close to Euston. You could go to Kings Cross to see the Platform 9 3/4 trolley thing (if they are HP fans). There's also Madame Tussards there (I wouldn't fancy it but kids may well :)) ), or you are not far from Covent Garden and things like the London Transport Museum.

I also think a hop-on, hop-off bus is probably good in London.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Duck Tour rather than an open-top bus?
Beena

Post by Beena »

Transport museum, Pip? Then a mooch around Covent Garden, a slow walk along Embankment to Westminster to see Big Ben etc.

I love the Cabinet War Rooms, but that might be better when they're a few years older.

I agree about the NHM being rammed; we went with Bambs' a few years ago - there was a 2 hr queue to get in. Not a chance!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I like the museum of childhood and I’m told the Transport Museum in Covent Garden is good too.

You can get a river bus from Waterloo to the O2 which is cheaper than a guided tour and you get to see all the sights. I’ve always wanted to do the cable car over the river too but no idea if it’s expensive.
Gizmo2000

Post by Gizmo2000 »

I love Regents Park, especially the walk down beside London Zoo as you get to see some of the animals and not have to pay to go in to the Zoo :)) The only thing i am not sure about is how much of an impact the fire has had on that as it was that area by the park that had the big fire.

The place just seems so alive right in the centre of London and it has a childrens playground and is close to Euston station.

https://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/the-regents-park
Gizmo2000

Post by Gizmo2000 »

Chicky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 pm I like the museum of childhood and I’m told the Transport Museum in Covent Garden is good too.

You can get a river bus from Waterloo to the O2 which is cheaper than a guided tour and you get to see all the sights. I’ve always wanted to do the cable car over the river too but no idea if it’s expensive.

No it's not, it's only £3.50 as i think they dropped the price from £4.50 recently. The river bus is a good shout as you get to see loads of London but we normally go the other way. We get the DLR down to Island Gardens and use the not very well known foot tunnel under the Thames to go to Grenwich then grab the river boat back up to Embankment. The foot tunnel is quite long and a little creepy as there isn't usually too many people down there. :))
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Chicky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 pm You can get a river bus from Waterloo to the O2 which is cheaper than a guided tour and you get to see all the sights. I’ve always wanted to do the cable car over the river too but no idea if it’s expensive.
It's quite far away from most nice bits of London, and also I've seen people hyperventilating on it, so I'd say don't make a special trip :)).
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Could I use the travel card on the river bus? I’m a proper country mouse, you know. :)) Sorry for basic questions.

The transport museum is a good idea, and Covent Garden. I’m not sure how Chunk will like walking, the other time we went he was in the sling.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

You may get a subsidised fare with it but you'd still have to pay extra, I think.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Thank you. I’ll have a proper look then with Squeak later and plan an itinerary. I’m think British Museum, Covent Garden, Transport Museum & South Bank.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

It's worth mentioning that the Transport Museum has a small indoor picnic area so you can bring your own lunch if you want to keep costs down?
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

I always think the Thames Clipper is a good shout.

What's currently in the Turbine Hall at Tate Modern looks quite fun. Swings!

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-mo ... -superflex

http://www.tate.org.uk/kids/explore/kid ... ngs-be-art
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Loads of places do 2-for-1 tickets if you travel by rail, so if you’re doing any of the bigger expensive attractions like the eye, it’s worth checking out.
https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london