Extension lighting ideas

Turtle Bean

Extension lighting ideas

Post by Turtle Bean »

Has anyone got any as I am drawing a blank and have to tell the builder what we want before we go away. I can't get past a light in the middle of the room as I have zero imagination. If it helps there will be a table in the middle and a French door on the short end of the wall and a biggish window on the long side. And a small sofa on the other short end.
Derek Nimmo

Re: Extension lighting ideas

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Wall uplighters for a softer light? Or is there enough height for a an area of lowered ceiling in the middle with LED lights strung around the inside? I will try to find a picture online to show what I mean but that's what was done in my hallway and it's very effective.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

This kind of thing, with or without the spots as well.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Will it be a dining table? A light over it would be good if so, rather than a big centre light.
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

A nice pendant light over the table might be nice? I don't think lighting always has to be *very* imaginative to look nice.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

We stuck a trio of pendent lamps in our extension over where our dining table would be, Like below (not my house!). It looked nice, but meant that we were committed to always having a table there, which is worth thinking about. Unless you get a pendent that can go up and down in height. The rest of the space was downlights in the ceiling (lots of them as I always want bright light in kitchens).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

You could have more than one light? Our dining room has 4 pendants equally spaced, which looks nice.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I love that look of several pendants, but it equally makes me nervous about committing completely to the table position, as you say Liv.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I think the shape of the room commits to a table position so that's not an issue. I've seen some nice wall lights now, after rummaging through the internet. Would a couple of wall lights either side of the big window and one above the sofa be OK as well as a pendant light?
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Yes, you dont need to switch them all on at the same time.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Excellent. I am a style muppet, not because I don't know what's nice when I see it but because I have literally no idea what the options are!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Sounds good - the only other thing I can think of is will there be enough light for reading etc on the sofa? If not, do you have a side table for a task lamp?
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Yes I'll need to sort out a reading lamp but can think of that later. There should be room for a small side table.
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

It sounds so nice! Very exciting.