Sew much fabric, sew little time

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
wendy james

Re: Sew much fabric, sew little time

Post by wendy james »

I found another shop in Bath and added some grey crepe and a mustard cotton with navy flamingo print. I typed up my stash and have 30 or so projects to do, though not all are seasonally appropriate so no rush! I definitely don't need any fabric for a while though.

I also picked up a playsuit pattern and made the girls one each in the fabric the preschool teacher gave us. I managed to cut Sproglette's bodice upside down (or attached it upside down) but they're only for the summer and she doesn't care!
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Anyone thinking of going to the Great British Sewing Bee Live event in September? I shared something on my FB dressmaking page, suggesting that some of my sewing ladies might like to come with me, and the organisers picked up on it and rang me to see whether I'd be interested in exhibiting?! I'm not, but when I explained about my sewing classes, they offered me a discount code: WID. It's worth £2 off the entry ticket. Not much, but all discounts are welcome.

They sent me a whole load of pretty banners for my website too. :))
100594-GBSB-Web-Banner-970x250-2.jpg
(I'm planning to go on Sunday 24th. I have a class to run on Saturday, but can make the evening flight out of Shannon.)
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I have VIP tickets for the Friday. :disco:

I'll let you know what I think before you go on Sunday!

Have I mentioned that I will have a sewing room when we move?
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

wendy james wrote:I have VIP tickets for the Friday. :disco:

I'll let you know what I think before you go on Sunday!

Have I mentioned that I will have a sewing room when we move?
Woo hoo to the sewing room, Wends!

I'm slightly worried that the GBSB event is testing the water to see whether it's worth making another series.

I'm annoyed that my haberdashery website is taking longer than anticipated to migrate onto its new Irish domain, but I've just sent off an enquiry asking how much it might cost to put a small ad in the show programme. I read somewhere that all new businesses are an adventure, so maybe that phone call yesterday was the kick up the arse I needed. :bob:
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
rosy

Post by rosy »

Those playsuits are super, Wendy!

With C being in hospital and me visiting every day, I've not touched my sewing for weeks. :cry: Now she's back home and she has carers coming in so I don't feel obligated to visit every day, I'm hoping to get back to it.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I made a dress for Sproglette today. There's only 3 pieces and she chose the fabric herself. The photo is of the back as the front and top half of the back is one piece, with a gathered piece attached for the lower back.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Orange is supposed to be a 'happy' colour, Wendy! Love that.

I'm not sure whether this bride is trolling me, but I may have talked myself into making this wedding dress from the Guns n' Roses 'November Rain' video. Surprisingly, she couldn't find anything quite like it in the shops. :lol: There's something about our FB Messenger conversation that makes me think 'My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding'. :faint:

If true, I find it quite sweet that she wanted to sort the wedding dress before even booking the wedding date. I'll probably never hear from her again, but I'll keep you posted. The dress is mad, and I'd absolutely love to make it!
novraindress.png
novraindress2.png
Last edited by overthehill on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

What, flashing her gusset and all? Bloody hell.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Ooooh, and I am advertising in the GBSB souvenir magazine! (Now I just have to get sew-irish.ie live before it's published :look:)
Last edited by overthehill on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

H1ppychick wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:45 pm What, flashing her gusset and all? Bloody hell.
I don't think she's quite thought it through. I'll have to make her a pair of matching frilly 'tennis' knicks! :lol:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

How did you get on at the show, OTH. I forgot to report back, sorry! Any news on the flasher dress?

I ran up another sheath dress in time for my weekend away. I left the pockets out for speed but miss them. :lol:
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I love that fabric, Wends. Does it have an elasticated waist?

We loved the show. Thanks for asking. The whole trip was such a mad, last minute, idea, and such fun. I don't know how valuable it will be business-wise, but I may have made some useful wholesale contacts and was proper chuffed to have got a FB page like from Angeline Murphy! :love:

No news on the flasher dress. Probably never will be, but it's just the sort of can't-buy-it-in-the-shops project I'd love. And she'd be getting it at a bargain price too, as I've been sternly told that I need to radically overhaul my pricing strategy from now on. :)
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I never know whether people are interested in my commissions, but I'm rather pleased with my latest mother-of-the-bride dress. She wanted something like this (not in black)
CS_original.jpg
... which is lovely, but maybe not the best on a petite lady, with no waist and bingo-wings. So I made her this
Dress_CS1.jpg
Dress_CS2.jpg
The dummy doesn't really do the dress justice. It has a full circle skirt and built-in petticoat, and is much more flattering on her - especially as she came to collect it having just had her trial wedding hair-do - a beehive with ringlets. Much to her daughter's disapproval, she's teaming the dress with pointy mint-green patent shoes and a matching handbag, 50s-style. I think she'll look great. :))
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

That is a lovely dress OTH
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I missed that OTH, it’s lovely.

My son’s first sewing project; Christmas cutlery wraps. He really enjoyed it. I got him doing forward and reverse stitch, a fancy stitch and topstiching using the edging foot so he learnt quite a few things. They are all the same size, the photo is wonky.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Clever G! I love those.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Brilliant, well done to G - they look great :)
rosy

Post by rosy »

Clever G! I like those a lot.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I could have sworn I posted before! To compliment OTH’s dress and to answer the question about my dress (yes, it’s an elasticated waist). I must have got distracted though.

I like the cutlery holders too. Is G keen to do something else?
Cheese v2.0

Post by Cheese v2.0 »

That wedding dress!!! Oh my.