Geocaching

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
Cerise

Re: Geocaching

Post by Cerise »

A couple walked past us today, said hello and asked the boys if they were on an expedition. Reply: yes! We're geocaching!

No stealth there.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

L's been known to wave cache containers at complete strangers whilst shouting "I've found it!"
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Have you sent your travel bug out yet Ruby?
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Ooo, good question. Our released travel bug got picked up the next day!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

No. Do you think I need to print of those instructions, or do you think it will be fine without them? (my printer is borked)
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Most don't have instructions but I think it would be good to include them if you can. A lot of people don't bother reading instructions on the actual TB page. I wrote mine out and put the whole lot in a sealable plastic bag.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Today's geocaching, I have been learning how to do panorama shots :))
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

That's beautiful, Tex. I think one of the best things about geocaching is being out and about and seeing stuff. :poetic:

I 'launched' one of our travel bugs last week. No-one has picked him up yet. I printed the instructions on waterproof map paper at work and I have put him in a self-seal bag so hopefully he will be picked up soon and looked after.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Oh I forgot! I am going to put a cache on the green next to our houses. I bought a tiny magnetic cache to put under the bench. Look at it!
IMAG1118.jpg
I am so excited. :lol: There is nothing attractive or pretty about the bench so I will post some old photos of the road and some blah about local history on the description.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Brilliant. L loves finding those tiny ones. Someone posted a message on one near here that the cache had disappeared but the magnet was still there, they didn't think to try to open it.
la Fée Verte

Post by la Fée Verte »

I love those, Woo. :love2:
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Ruby wrote:That's beautiful, Tex. I think one of the best things about geocaching is being out and about and seeing stuff. :poetic:

I 'launched' one of our travel bugs last week. No-one has picked him up yet. I printed the instructions on waterproof map paper at work and I have put him in a self-seal bag so hopefully he will be picked up soon and looked after.
I wonder if he'll come this way :weewee:
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

What age is a good one to start doing this? Mr P and I both fancy giving it a go, but would like the mini-postes (well, at least the oldest one) to be vaguely actively involved rather than just trailing round after us. A is 6 in a couple of months - is that old enough?

And, another stupid question, but is this a city thing as well as a country thing, but I can't get orienteering out of my head!
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

They're all over, I did a puzzle trail round the centre of Bath yesterday. They're just harder to look for stealthily in town as it's so busy.

I'd say 6 is old enough with you helping to point them in the right direction, A (5) has found a couple and L (8) often finds them while I'm still working out which tree to look at.

ETA They all come with a difficulty rating on a scale of 1-5, start with the easier ones.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Six is definitely old enough. N is only 7 and he loves it. Normally I get us to the right place and then I shamelessly use them to rummage in nettles, brambles and dark holes that might have spiders.
Texaco Shirley wrote:
Ruby wrote:That's beautiful, Tex. I think one of the best things about geocaching is being out and about and seeing stuff. :poetic:

I wonder if he'll come this way :weewee:
I hope so. :disco: I will keep an eye on where he gets to and alert you if he's near you.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Thanks both, we will give it a go! I'm quite excited now :disco:
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I've put him on my watch list :weewee:
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I am quite tempted to try this again. Kevin the teenager might have something to say about it though :ruby:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I have hidden my tiny cache. :weewee: I am so excited - it's such a history teacher listing. :lol:

DO IT Smurf. The chaps like it, but really it's me that's obsessed.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

J (7) and D (4.5) have enjoyed the bits we've done so far. With guidance, they've both found caches.

Flora, there are some in CP park that I found a long time ago. Made a nice walk.

Ruby, please send me the tracking number of your bug.