Sew much fabric, sew little time

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
emma_p

Re: Sew much fabric, sew little time

Post by emma_p »

I LOVE that Squizz! I would definitely buy one.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

They are cute!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I'm so jealous of your set-up, Squirrel! I'd love to be able to do the odd 15 minutes here and there without getting everything out and clearing it away. The tooth fairy cushion is very cute.

The top pattern was this one - version C.
https://www.minervacrafts.com/shop/sewi ... imple-tops
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That's exactly the same one I used :dotty:. I did E with a slightly adjusted neckline.

Yes the sewing setup is proving very useful and I am getting the Ikea desk hopefully this week which will make it even better.

I'm not sure why the pointy bit of the tooth fairy envelope went wonky, I'll have to be extra careful about sewing in a straight line!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Today's project is a card for my friend who also sews and won't mind it being a bit rustic :)).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Squiz, these are really good. I think the tooth fairy envelopes are lovely!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Thank you. I've done another envelope but I'm not sure it's much better. I guess people know it's home made and for charity so no harm in trying. It's not like I'm going to charge much for them. It'll be a bit embarrassing if nobody buys any though!

ETA: I ironed the card as the fabric had gone a bit wrinkly so it's a bit less crumpled looking.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Also for the cards, I will sew onto plain calico then stitch the calico on, rather than sewing it all on directly like I did there.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Those are all wonderful, Squizz! What machine do you have for the embroidery?

I have made some two-colour cushion covers for my hairdresser, so she can choose to have either the sand or the plum colour.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Those are lovely.

I retired the old machine after it met with a nasty accident*. I had a borrowed machine for a while that I hated, so I sold my old company shares and bought a new one so it was basically free... sort of :look:

The replacement is the Bernina 350 patchwork edition, in the hopes that it lasts another 50 years like the old one did. I absolutely love it, it's hands-down the best (and probably the most expensive) thing I've ever bought :hbeat:.

*apparently my friend's husband has fixed it and I should get it back tomorrow. I'm hoping I can still use it occasionally, but I was struggling with it and I think the time was right to get a new one.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I will look at that machine - my Janome 525S is fine for most things but not quilting. I really need a long-arm machine and one that does embroidery and can handle free motion quilting. But as I already have the Janome, a mini JL machine for taking to classes and a coverlocker, a fourth machine seems a bit of an indulgence!
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That would be great though :)). I'd love a long arm machine and an overlocker but I'm not buying anything else for the foreseeable future. I did a bit of free motion sewing on my old machine, I'd like to try again. I need to check I've got a darning foot for this machine; I think I have.

My previous sewing teacher was amazing at it and could do beautiful writing and little pictures freehand.

My new sewing station is complete!
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

How brilliant, Squirrel! I wish you many happy years of sewing there :)
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

:love2:
rosy

Post by rosy »

That looks super, Squirrel! I must take a picture of my set up (once I've tidied it up a bit).
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

rosy wrote: I must take a picture of my set up (once I've tidied it up a bit).
Yes please do :bounce:. Mine stayed tidy for one day :lol:. The bag factory has been in operation.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Ooh, lovely bags :love:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

My mum bought some fabric at a table top sale, so the girls both have a new summer dress. Elvis's is the same sundress I made last year, and will do again in some leftover jungle fabric I have.

Sproglette wanted a dress out of her fabric. I used the a-line top pattern I have and added 8" to it. It's quite a light fabric so suits the loose style. She wore it for dress down day then dance class and said it was very comfortable.

I finally caved and bought some Beatles fabric from spoonflower. They both want dresses.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

The green dress with the yellow and white daisies is so sweet.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

One of the preschool staff grabbed me this morning to give me this fabric. Apparently she made her daughter some stuff when she was Elvis's age and it's sat in her cupboards ever since - her daughter is 29 now. :lol: