Sew much fabric, sew little time

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
wendy james

Re: Sew much fabric, sew little time

Post by wendy james »

Cutting out for quilts must be pretty soul destroying!

I decided that I would probably never wear red velvet trousers, even if they fit well, so decided to make another version of the Zoe dress (like the Daisy print). I was pressing a seam when Sproglette spilled some milkshake and by the time I was done, there was an iron mark that could be seen on the front. :(

My jerseys arrived today though.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Oh, how annoying (the iron mark, I mean).

Cutting out for quilts is lots of very precise measurements which is not really my style, but I do enjoy sewing the blocks and quilts together. I may save up for a gadget that cuts pieces precisely like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AccuQuilt-5510 ... =accuquilt
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Wow, that's not cheap! I guess it would be worth it for a quilter though.

I made a funnel neck dress with one of the jerseys. A slightly heavier one would have been better.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I love that!

I've been practising free motion quilting today - drop the feed dogs, use a darning foot and move the fabric to create patterns. Leah Day makes it look easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NUS3Hu-7M but I am finding it very challenging.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That looks hard.

I like the look of this month's project.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

That looks lovely, I really love that fabric.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I went for the in-seam pocket version.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I really love that fabric. You're so good at this Wendy. Where do you buy your fabrics from?

I still haven't made anything from that lovely book you sent me, I'm determined to start something soon though.
rosy

Post by rosy »

That looks great, Wendy.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

The monthly projects (like the dress above) come from The Fabric Godmother, and I don't know what's coming until it arrives.

I get most of my stuff online from Minerva Crafts, as I don't have any fabric shops round here. It's not easy to tell whether something is a bargain or cheap for a reason though. :mrgreen:

I'm hoping to stock up next weekend at the knitting & stitching show. I'll get a few shop website details too, for future reference. I occasionally get a sewing magazine for the pattern on the front, and there's often %off deals for online shops.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I think I got my owl pyjama fabric online at Fabricland, but they have a shop in Bristol and there's a 20% voucher on their website for next Tuesday (to be used in-store).

https://www.fabricland.co.uk
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

rosy wrote:I love that!

I've been practising free motion quilting today - drop the feed dogs, use a darning foot and move the fabric to create patterns. Leah Day makes it look easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NUS3Hu-7M but I am finding it very challenging.
I went to a workshop for this but I can't drop the feed dogs on my machine. It's a lot of fun.
smalex

Post by smalex »

wendy james wrote:The monthly projects (like the dress above) come from The Fabric Godmother, and I don't know what's coming until it arrives.

I get most of my stuff online from Minerva Crafts, as I don't have any fabric shops round here. It's not easy to tell whether something is a bargain or cheap for a reason though. :mrgreen:
Yes, Its SO hard to tell what you're ordering.

I do have a nice independent fabric shop on my (otherwise fairly useless) local highstreet, but there's still not a vast range of dress making fabrics (lots of lovely craft fabrics).
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

smalex wrote:Yes, Its SO hard to tell what you're ordering.

I do have a nice independent fabric shop on my (otherwise fairly useless) local highstreet, but there's still not a vast range of dress making fabrics (lots of lovely craft fabrics).
I find craft fabrics are very much easier to get than dressmaking fabrics, here too. But, if you are prepared to order a week or two in advance of when you need the fabric, most online shops will gladly send out samples. Some charge a small fee (especially for me, as they have to post to Ireland), but many don't and - even if they do - they'll usually refund the cost if you order x value of fabric. I couldn't possibly risk buying blind, if I'm working on a commission.

Lovely dress, Wendy. Looks a great fit!
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

My overlocker came pre-threaded so I got chance to have a play. It makes such a pretty neat edge. :love:

My local college has an intro course in May so I've signed up for that. It's only 5 hours one Friday, at their campus in the next town.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Overlocking is so satisfying. I can cut out a jersey top and have it finished in under an hour, with such lovely neat seams.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Rosy, do you ever sew with the over-locker, or do you just finish all ready sewn seams?
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

rosy wrote:Overlocking is so satisfying. I can cut out a jersey top and have it finished in under an hour, with such lovely neat seams.
I can imagine. I did the seams for Sproglette a jersey top in about 15 minutes last night. :perky:
rosy

Post by rosy »

ParisGal wrote:Rosy, do you ever sew with the over-locker, or do you just finish all ready sewn seams?
I do both - for jersey sewing I'll do the whole thing except the hems. For upholstery fabric, especially wool, I'll finish the edges of cut pieces before sewing. General sewing with viscose or cottons I'll use it to finish seams once sewn. I use it quite a lot! I'd really like one that does coverstitch as well as overlocking - I can do a fake coverstitch with my ordinary machine and a twin needle, but it's not quite the same.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Ah, I see, thanks rosy. I have a Lidl/Pfaff over-locker which I haven't entirely mastered, but it's been worth it just for the seam-finishing, and "rolled hems" for chiffony type things. I've seen cover-stitching mentioned elsewhere but don't know what it is :lol: