The Good Life (gardening chat)

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
nineseven

Re: The Good Life (gardening chat)

Post by nineseven »

Very impressive, Baa!

I should probably join in, now I actually have a GARDEN. I don't really know where to start. The gales blew off the felt from my shed roof so my dad is refelting it on Tuesday :love: I have two raised beds with some stuff growing in, some potted herbs I inherited, a greenhouse and a lawn that needs mowing (I have no garden tools whatsoever).
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Oh! Exciting! Jooiiiiin usss.

What do you want to grow? Veg? Flowers? Rabbits?
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Veg and flowers probably. I don't think I want to be responsible for any livestock. :))
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

I would highly recommend lidl and aldi for garden tools. I think both tend to have them in regularly from now.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Mayday wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:37 pm I would highly recommend lidl and aldi for garden tools. I think both tend to have them in regularly from now.
Ooh, I wouldn't have thought of those, thank you. Actually I do own a bucket, gardening gloves and some seeds that were given to me as housewarming gifts. :)) In the meantime I shall dig the soil with a large spoon.
smalex

Post by smalex »

That looks great baa. I have greenhouse envy. I'll get my little one out eventually but it won't be as good as that! I bought a load of flower seeds today, hopefully they'll fill the garden (I keep making more space to fill :lol: ).

Welcome to the gardening club nine. Soon you'll spend every weekend from march to October just 'popping' to the garden centre or b&q for what turns out to be £78 of stuff.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I dread to think what our popping will involve this year. Current state of it. :cry:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

nineseven wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:13 pm
Mayday wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:37 pm I would highly recommend lidl and aldi for garden tools. I think both tend to have them in regularly from now.
Ooh, I wouldn't have thought of those, thank you. Actually I do own a bucket, gardening gloves and some seeds that were given to me as housewarming gifts. :)) In the meantime I shall dig the soil with a large spoon.
I have 100% done exactly that. See also scraping snow off a windscreen with a le creuset silicone spatula :mrgreen:

We have a garden with things growing too now! Most of the garden is paved but there are some wide landscaped borders. There's a pear tree, roses, rosemary, camellias, a corner of bamboo and other as yet unidentified plants and trees. I have pots and window boxes from our old garden to bring round too - they have had an extended holiday at my neighbours :)) . I'm looking forward to see what happened when spring gets properly started.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh. Erm. :look: there is some work to do there wendy :lol:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

The hydrangea is coming back strong from a brutal cutting back, at least. We’ve decide to leave that border in for now, so I might still fill it up with some veg.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

It's lovely, Wendles. Don't change a thing.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

nineseven wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:37 pm It's lovely, Wendles. Don't change a thing.
:mog:
smalex

Post by smalex »

20200322_151214.jpg
Another good day in the garden, built this raised bed (there was a bed there but it was very shallow soil and very shaded) and shunted a load of earth from the top of the garden to fill it.
20200322_162836.jpg
And finished laying the turf.

It was such a beautiful day today, I felt a lot better today and I think it's just being outside doing good things in the sun. Got my first cup of tea in the garden too.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Being out in the sun makes all the difference, especially if you’re getting things done.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Burnt a fuck load of calories too. Man, digging is hard work.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I swept the balcony and tidied all the pots, it still looks awful and really bare but getting out in the sun was great.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I weeded the main borders and had a cuppa in the sun too this afternoon. It was really warm & I did feel hopeful for a while.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

I have built bean teepees and pea fences. I've dug over the veg patch and composted most of it. I'm tidying beds now.

I'm going to garden my way through the apocalypse.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Me too baa. I dunno what else to do really.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

I'm going to grow mealworms :mog: