Menopausal, perimenopausal, not sure, come join me!

Disco

Re: Menopausal, perimenopausal, just nosy, come join me!

Post by Disco »

I think they can tell if you are peri-menopausal as my mum had tests to ascertain if she was a couple of years ago.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

That's what I thought, Disco. They didn't bother with me, as I was experiencing classic symptoms at the average age, so it was unlikely to be anything else.
Disco

Post by Disco »

What is the average age? Mid 40s?
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I thought it was late 40s.

Oh, I've just checked, and according to the NHS the average age to reach the menopause (i.e. no periods for a year) is 52, but I guess symptoms will be experienced for some time prior to that. Not sure then.

My only female colleague, who is 58, always tells me when she's having her period. I have no idea if she thinks it's some kind of female bonding, or she's proud she's still bleeding, but I wish she'd shut up about it.
Last edited by Rosa on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I found you a smilie, Azu. Image Hope it helps. :george:
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Perfect, Pip!

Oops, thought you were Fee for a minute. It's my menopausal brain.
Last edited by Rosa on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broken_Biscuit

Post by Broken_Biscuit »

I don't think I can be bothered to see the doc about it really - I meant to mention it when I was last there for my blood pressure review, but forgot. Maybe next time!
Disco

Post by Disco »

Thanks Azu - I had no idea of the age so my mid 40s was a guess.
Tabbycatblue

Post by Tabbycatblue »

I am experiencing a very painful (but not heavy) period, the like of which I haven't had for a good few years. From the symptoms of perimenopause I have researched, painful periods doesn't seem to be there. Anyone else had this?
Margo

Post by Margo »

I was convinced I was menopausal, all the usual symptoms etc, so had tests done a few weeks back. I got the results yesterday and I'm not, which I suppose is a relief, but doesn't explain the symptoms.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Great smilie Pip - at 48, I reckon I will probably need it soon. So far though all I've noticed is the lengthening of my cycles - 35 days - and easing of PMT symptoms, a welcome development, particularly for my long-suffering family.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Hope you can find out what's causing those symptoms, lulu, but good news that you're not facing the menopause just yet.

Welcome, Rita! I've also found PMT has all but disappeared, and it's wonderful having rarer, lighter periods. Those are big positives, and I can cope with the occasional hot flush, so I'm keeping everything crossed that it continues like this.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Thanks Azu! My mother told me that she had very few hot flushes and generally had a very easy time of it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed too.
Faute de Mieux

Post by Faute de Mieux »

Azu wrote:
My only female colleague, who is 58, always tells me when she's having her period. I have no idea if she thinks it's some kind of female bonding, or she's proud she's still bleeding, but I wish she'd shut up about it.
There's just no need for that. Actually, does she like tennis? :puzz:
Moody Blue

Post by Moody Blue »

The night sweats seem to be getting more regular, and also heavier. Is that the right term? I am regularly waking up and the bedding is sodden.

The thing that is mostly on my mind, is the fear of losing my sex drive. I am single at the moment, but sods law, I will meet someone just as my sex drive goes awol :(
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Moody Blue wrote:The night sweats seem to be getting more regular, and also heavier. Is that the right term? I am regularly waking up and the bedding is sodden.

The thing that is mostly on my mind, is the fear of losing my sex drive. I am single at the moment, but sods law, I will meet someone just as my sex drive goes awol :(

Night sweats are a bugger. I think I am a much "hotter" person that I used to be in general :lol:

Sex drive has not diminished for me or any of my post-menopausal female friends, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. More likely that the male partner of same or older age has a diminishing sex drive.
Moody Blue

Post by Moody Blue »

That is good to know, Annabella.

The confusing thing about sweats in my mind, is I am no hotter :flirt: I mean, I am not over heating, or unable to to sleep because I am hot, it's just I wake up wringing wet.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

[quote="Moody Blue"]That is good to know, Annabella.

The confusing thing about sweats in my mind, is I am no hotter :flirt: I mean, I am not over heating, or unable to to sleep because I am hot, it's just I wake up wringing wet.[/quote

Yes that's true the night sweats don't mean you are hot, just sweaty. The flushes can make you feel hot - it is momentary though. have you thought about trying any of the herbal remedies to see if they help you. I tried Menopace supplements for a while but didn't think it made any difference, but they didn't do me any harm either.
Onds

Post by Onds »

Annabella wrote: Sex drive has not diminished for me or any of my post-menopausal female friends, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
:yes:
More likely that the male partner of same or older age has a diminishing sex drive.
:yes: ( :mad: )
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Sounds like you'll need to find yourself a MUCH younger man, Moody! Night sweats are weird, although fortunately I rarely get them. I'm more a hot flush woman, and I'm having those quite a lot at the moment.

:madflollop: