Covid-19

FiveO'Clock

Re: Corona Virus

Post by FiveO'Clock »

It's the right thing to do, so it's surprising that it's being done.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Ruby wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:40 pm At the pub in my dad's village, you can book a three hour slot at a table + all the tables are spaced out and they are disinfected between slots. Table service only. Again, it seemed quite sensible. I was going to book one and get slowly wankered with my dad, brother and sister but I think that would breach guidelines. Although my dad is technically in my household bubble now.
I'm so grateful for stuff like this. Our pub next door is doing something very similar plus they're deliberately not opening until Monday to try and avoid the scrum.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Our pub next door is absolutely heaving and has been since about 2pm. To be fair he's put lots of washing stations, lots of screens up, split out the bar to order points and one way systems but there are a lot of people there.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

The poor staff.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

The top end of the high street (the rough end) has been blocked off. A pub is having a lock in for a birthday, there’s been fighting in the streets and arrests made.

I feel for all the staff and the emergency services tonight.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Yep, all emergency staff must have been dreading it. Back to normal with massive bells on.
Malan
viggy

Post by viggy »

I read the R rate was above one in London again, and yet they opened pubs anyway - why, why WHY?!

I am dreading the hospitality industry opening up here on the 15th - I'd like to think the easing will be reversed if the R rate rises again, but after Scot Gov's u-turn on blended learning cos a few parents moaned, I no longer have the same level of confidence in them.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

The US is lower than lots of countries in cases per inhabitant, but as they've not flattened their curve it's presumably just going to carry on increasing over there. It's looking pretty good in France at the moment, but I'm nowhere near reassured that social distancing on its own is going to be enough to keep it that way, especially with people travelling all over for the holidays.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

viggy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:26 am I read the R rate was above one in London again, and yet they opened pubs anyway - why, why WHY?!
The higher R rates and higher number of infections seem to have been in specific boroughs so far but if people are out drinking in Central London, that's no longer going to stay confined is it?!

Was the Soho stuff all outdoors does anyone know? I mean, it looked pretty rammed which isn't great but I'm curious about whether it was also like that inside, which is surely key.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I was meant to be having a friend over today, but saw she was at a Soho bar last night (for work-related reasons), so I have had to cancel. It's just not worth the risk.

Goat - it was apparently OK inside (I only know about one bar though), but there were obviously huge crowds outside and the streets have been pedestrianised for summer.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

And there are loads of open-air urinals all over the place with nothing to hide them from the eye (and no provision for women or disabled people).
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Ella77 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:16 pm And there are loads of open-air urinals all over the place with nothing to hide them from the eye (and no provision for women or disabled people).
I saw that and, honestly, I have never seen anything that gave me a disgust reflex quite like it.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Urgh that’s disgusting.

Going back to shops I’ve been told a lot of places have closed their lifts too. How are disabled people supposed to shop?
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

There was a bit on our news last night about blind people and how it was so difficult for them - can't see if they're distant enough from other people, aren't allowed to touch stuff as much so now need someone else to do their shopping, spacing out of pavement café seating means they have lots more obstacles to navigate etc. etc. They can't even take someone's elbow any more as they've probably been sneezing into it :lol:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Ruby wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:42 pm
Ella77 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:16 pm And there are loads of open-air urinals all over the place with nothing to hide them from the eye (and no provision for women or disabled people).
I saw that and, honestly, I have never seen anything that gave me a disgust reflex quite like it.
All because men (as a group) are fucking feral. Imagine having to work in one of the shops or restaurants nearby.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Ella77 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:12 pm
All because men (as a group) are fucking feral. Imagine having to work in one of the shops or restaurants nearby.
That is so fucking gross. Way to keep all the women at home, working and homeschooling and cooking and fucking cleaning.
Malan
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Marth wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:16 pm
Ella77 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:12 pm
That is so fucking gross. Way to keep all the women at home, working and homeschooling and cooking and fucking cleaning.

Sorry for the 4 billion quotes but this is the grimmest fucking thing ever and makes me despair.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Despair even more.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m really wary about the trustworthiness of this, and the fact it’s been shared all over my FB timeline. Most of all, I’m concerned that if the person really does work in the hospital, they’re about to get sacked.

https://lockdownsceptics.org/why-leicester-doesnt-need-a-local-lockdown/
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Hmmm. That's really interesting but it doesn't seem to be a reliable source. Do the stats (not the published ones) look broadly accurate to you? He scuppers it a bit for me when he says you need 20% infection rate for herd immunity, which is absolutely not universally accepted. And we know that children and teachers are unlikely to get very ill but it wouldn't stop them passing it on - especially in the living conditions he describes Also, what motivation do the government have for specifically locking down Leicester? It raises more questions than it solves.

I do think that the number of infected people in March must have been much higher than we thought at the time to lead to such huge numbers of deaths in April. Particularly in London. It will be interesting to see if we have spikes in a week or so- after the BLM protests and the Bournemouth beach days. Or in a couple of weeks after pubs open.