Covid-19

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Lack of reliable source, anec-data, I’m not sure about accuracy. I also think it’s written too well to be many of the clinicians I know. :)

I’m sure it was circulating here (UK) in January.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Same. If we had just had testing earlier, and an earlier lockdown, we could have saved tens of thousands of lives.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I find that a bit weird, in that they go from measured discussion straight into IT'S A CONSPIRACY TO KEEP US DOWN in a few lines at the end. :look:
Disco

Post by Disco »

I'm strongly considering paying for the antibody test. I was so ill towards the end of January, so much so I almost rang 999. I mentioned this to my dad over text next minute my mum rang to tell me she booked an appointment for a private test yesterday! So she's having done tomorrow.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

The thing is, I know doctors who tested positive for having the virus at the time and then negative for the antibodies, so I’m not convinced the test is perfect, and what difference does knowing actually make?
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:39 pm The thing is, I know doctors who tested positive for having the virus at the time and then negative for the antibodies, so I’m not convinced the test is perfect, and what difference does knowing actually make?
Psychologically it would make a massive difference to me. My big fear, especially at the beginning was getting the virus and dying from it. (not so great if the test is a bit unreliable though)
Malan
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I think it might be worth it for some, as if a test is positive it’s likely (not definite, of course) that you have some form of protection. And that might help some feel better about getting out and about a bit. And also that you’ve had it and survived it!
Disco

Post by Disco »

It would stop me feeling sick with worry. Possibly.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:39 pm The thing is, I know doctors who tested positive for having the virus at the time and then negative for the antibodies
Yes, and I had read this in the press too. Do these doctors get re-tested at a later stage to see if antibodies are present later? Not that I really know anything about antibody development.

Also do they think that mild cases of Covid might not produce detectable antibodies?
Disco

Post by Disco »

Happy Sandwich has inserted herself in this thread. She’s actually on every tab I’ve got open.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Marth wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:45 pm
Pippedydeadeye wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:39 pm The thing is, I know doctors who tested positive for having the virus at the time and then negative for the antibodies, so I’m not convinced the test is perfect, and what difference does knowing actually make?
Psychologically it would make a massive difference to me. My big fear, especially at the beginning was getting the virus and dying from it. (not so great if the test is a bit unreliable though)
Absolutely this. It's absolutely exhausting contemplating your death all the time and I'm convinced either myself or T will die from it. I've always been a bit like this and anyone getting poorly is usually a cause for anxiety anyway but at the moment if anyone in my family got a cold then I'd be almost catatonic - I hugely overreacted the other week when I made us all get tests. I'm living by the seat of my pants. I'm still taking risks (sending the kids to school, for example) because not taking risks feels like giving up but it is exhausting.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Disco wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:02 pm It would stop me feeling sick with worry. Possibly.
It’s definitely worth it for peace of mind then.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Disco wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:13 pm Happy Sandwich has inserted herself in this thread. She’s actually on every tab I’ve got open.
This is wonderful. :shouty:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

How on earth did that happen :lol:?
Disco

Post by Disco »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:25 pm It’s definitely worth it for peace of mind then.

Yes, I think so. I wouldn't change my behaviour but I think I'll feel less anxious. I wake up most mornings with terrible aches from the clenching and grinding of my teeth/ jaws in the night.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Ella77 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:28 pm How on earth did that happen :lol:?

:lol: I don't know but she's gone now!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I do feel oddly vindicated. Not more relaxed, because we absolutely shouldn’t be, but I feel happy knowing I’m possibly less likely to die. Though goodness only knows how many people I infected whenever I did have it. Let’s hope it wasn’t many, and I won’t have to answer for that at the Pearly Gates.
Disco

Post by Disco »

One would hope that having had such a mild case and with antibodies present, that even if that doesn't mean immunity it hopefully it would mean an even milder dose if caught again.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Did you think you'd possibly had it, Pip?
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:31 pm I do feel oddly vindicated. Not more relaxed, because we absolutely shouldn’t be, but I feel happy knowing I’m possibly less likely to die. Though goodness only knows how many people I infected whenever I did have it. Let’s hope it wasn’t many, and I won’t have to answer for that at the Pearly Gates.
No beating yourself up about it :drill: If you weren't tested for it back then, and the advice was only to self isolate if you'd been abroad then what else could you do? It's easy to think in hindsight that you'd do things differently but unless you had had a positive result and then went round licking folk, you have nothing to feel guilty about!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse