Testing times - Covid in 2022

Scooter

Re: Testing times - Covid in 2022

Post by Scooter »

Disco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:47 pm I know we're not doctors but what do people think about taking 30mg of dihydrocodeine to help with the coughing? I've got abs on abs from coughing. I guess it's probably not a good idea because of the potential respiratory depression side effect.
I’ve recently had pneumonia (clearly covid is too common for me and I wanted to be different!) and I asked about codeine to suppress the cough (I wasn’t getting more than 2 hours sleep a night) and was told suppressing a cough is bad. It works though, so I guess it depends how bad the coughing is.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Topcat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 pm
rosy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:14 pm Plus Wimbledon, and then Silverstone this coming weekend.
Absolutely do not begrudge anybody going to any of these events, but its got the potential to cause a few issues for a few months for sure.
I will be masked up at Silverstone, no matter what anyone else does.
Also rosy, have you had any more jabs over the initial three? I know of people who are vulnerable etc etc who have had up to five and yet I've not been called for one extra one yet.
Not yet. According to the IBD nurse I should be called for the fourth one any day, so I’m just waiting for the text.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I was super paranoid at Wimbledon on Monday. Not many masks and there were so many really drunk people (even by the time I left at around 6:30 there were people in all kinds of trouble).

It's not acceptable that people were promised a fourth booster and it hasn't materialised yet (I hope it's soon rosy and TC). When I booked Liv's second vaccine the other day there were hardly any vaccination centres available so maybe they've wound down? Although maybe there aren't many set up for under 12s.
Skips

Post by Skips »

rosy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:14 pm Plus Wimbledon, and then Silverstone this coming weekend.
Absolutely do not begrudge anybody going to any of these events, but its got the potential to cause a few issues for a few months for sure.

Also rosy, have you had any more jabs over the initial three? I know of people who are vulnerable etc etc who have had up to five and yet I've not been called for one extra one yet.

This doesn't actually bother me too much because I don't think that I should ever been classed in such a high category in the first place, but I will be fucking furious if it turns out that I didn't have to lock myself for all of that time despite me asking and asking about it.
I don't know if you are the same as J, considered vulnerable enough to warrant shielding but not to get additional vaccines. Which to me seems mental, but he's now basically classed the same as the rest of us.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Thanks Lily and Scooter, and sorry to hear you've had pneumonia! I decided against the codeine as I was too scared of suppressing my respiratory system as well as my cough. I shall try the blowing out an imaginary candle!

The vaccination cetres have, for the most part, wound down as far as I'm aware. Certainly the ones near me shut a couple of months ago.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Scooter wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:06 pm
Disco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:47 pm I know we're not doctors but what do people think about taking 30mg of dihydrocodeine to help with the coughing? I've got abs on abs from coughing. I guess it's probably not a good idea because of the potential respiratory depression side effect.
I’ve recently had pneumonia (clearly covid is too common for me and I wanted to be different!) and I asked about codeine to suppress the cough (I wasn’t getting more than 2 hours sleep a night) and was told suppressing a cough is bad. It works though, so I guess it depends how bad the coughing is.
This is interesting! Did they say why? You poor thing, you must have been exhausted. Codeine is in a lot of cough medicines and I tried self-medicating with some left over from my knee op but I can't say it made a huge amount of difference.

My parents' friend, who is pretty ill with it, has had 4 jabs. I know people say "Imagine it without the jab" but you'd think 4 would help a bit more.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Disco wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:31 am Thanks Lily and Scooter, and sorry to hear you've had pneumonia! I decided against the codeine as I was too scared of suppressing my respiratory system as well as my cough. I shall try the blowing out an imaginary candle!

The vaccination cetres have, for the most part, wound down as far as I'm aware. Certainly the ones near me shut a couple of months ago.
I have finally managed to book the boys in for theirs at a reasonably local centre. It only seems to be open for a one off day though.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

So after my post about my colleagues, J has developed a cough. He came into the office with me on Monday for a visit. I tested him earlier and it was negative, but I’m not convinced :ella: (he’s double vaxxed, but I’m double vaxxed plus boosted and still got it)
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Skips wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:33 am

This doesn't actually bother me too much because I don't think that I should ever been classed in such a high category in the first place, but I will be fucking furious if it turns out that I didn't have to lock myself for all of that time despite me asking and asking about it.
I don't know if you are the same as J, considered vulnerable enough to warrant shielding but not to get additional vaccines. Which to me seems mental, but he's now basically classed the same as the rest of us.
That does seem absolutely insane. I mean, as I mentioned, I don't think that I should have ever had to shield but I did because of repeated warnings from the surgery and the NHS that I would die. So how the hell can it change from text messages literally telling me not to even take my recycling outside to this?

I'm getting the feeling that somebody fucked up and I didn't have to spend two years running up and down my stairs and staring at four walls like I did.
Starry

Post by Starry »

Est I felt rough on Monday, cough on Tuesday and didn’t test positive on a nasal swab til Wednesday. The throat swab showed up earlier and stronger on Wednesday morning.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I used one of the saliva tests today. I only have nasal ones left now but I’ll pick some more saliva ones up tomorrow and keep testing.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Lily wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:50 am
Scooter wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:06 pm
This is interesting! Did they say why?
The explanation I was given was that your cough reflex is to clear the gunk from your lungs and it can make an infection worse if that doesn’t occur. I was pretty unhappy with that advice by that point :lol: Coming out of the other side now. I just get really tired really easily (I need a nap once I’ve driven the kids the 1km to school! Pathetic!)
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Hmm, that assumes that the cough reflex is actually clearing out gunk! If you have a tickle that's clearing nowt out. :coughexpert:

It sounds like you've been hit hard with it. The tiredness, for many people, seems to be the worst thing.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Topcat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:07 pm There are reports coming out now that Glastonbury is likely to cause a 5th wave.
I'm not surprised. I'm hearing of so many people coming back and 1/2 - 2/3rds of their group have tested positive. It was so, so busy there - much busier than I have ever seen it (unpleasantly so at times).

I managed to pick up a stomach bug there as well.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Of the three pals I know that went they all have it and most of the groups they went with do too.

One of them is a diehard attendee and he said it was the worst one he can remember. Overcrowded, crap music and full of disease. :mog:
rosy

Post by rosy »

… and that was just on the stages!
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Oh jeez, what a nightmare.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Isn’t much of it outdoors, or is that a stupid thing to say? If it’s not, then surely nobody expected not to catch it?
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

The two main stages are outdoors but a lot of the lesser known ones are basically giant big top style tents, so not fully free air IYSWIM.
If you’re in the audiences for the main stages (and in any of the other stages too) the crowd density is usually pretty high, so it’s not like people are standing in their own 6ft grids. Also people will not move much from their spots and will dance and sing loudly, all of which encourage droplet spread.

you’re also camping cheek by jowl in really rammed camping fields.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Argh. All to be expected, then.