Bike Locks

Disco

Bike Locks

Post by Disco »

What is the best type of lock to get for a bicycle, please?
Ella77

Re: Bike Locks

Post by Ella77 »

If you need it to be covered by home contents insurance, the insurers usually specify a particular kind of lock that you have to have. It used to be a certain type of D lock but that might have changed.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I just bought one not fifteen minutes ago!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I tend to use a D lock around the main frame plus a flexible lock around the front wheel and frame. I prefer locks that have the locks built in so I'm only carrying keys, not padlocks and keys.

If it will be insured, check the minimum requirements. I've never insured my bike as I didn't have anywhere that could be classed as safe to leave it!
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

A big fuck-off one.

I have this oneand my bike hasn't yet been stolen.

It's a bit heavy though.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I didn't think of checking the content insurance stipulations, thanks. But then, it's a reconditioned bike - my mate does them - so it will only cost me £40.

Why don't you use a flexible lock for the back wheel as well, Wendy? Or does the D lock go around the back wheel?
viggy

Post by viggy »

According to Mr.Vig, the only safe bike lock is a length of thick chain inside an old bike tyre, fixed with a heavy duty padlock. he has bikes worth over a grand each, so he knows :look:
Disco

Post by Disco »

I'm not allowed to use The Most Expensive Ornament in the House in Bristol :( .
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

viggy wrote:According to Mr.Vig, the only safe bike lock is a length of thick chain inside an old bike tyre, fixed with a heavy duty padlock. he has bikes worth over a grand each, so he knows :look:
You can chop them with bolt cutters, DadBaa demonstrated on one of his odd security/scare your daughter demonstrations. D Lock for me, you need an anglegrinder to get through them. However, go for one with a decent lock - as many are easy to pick. I don't really know what a decent lock looks like though.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Disco wrote:Why don't you use a flexible lock for the back wheel as well, Wendy? Or does the D lock go around the back wheel?
Sometimes it will, depending on what I'm fixing the bike to. However, I've had bikes with have a front release mechanism that means it's very easy to disconnect the front wheel and wander off with it, so I lock it up as well. I've never had a bike with a quick release for the back wheel.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Dear Discoflap,

can you think of a more tedious thread to start please, because this one simply isn't mind numbingly boring enough.

Thank you.

All my love

Mr Topcat.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Ah I see, thanks, this is the type of shit I don't know.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

wendy james wrote: Sometimes it will, depending on what I'm fixing the bike to. However, I've had bikes with have a front release mechanism that means it's very easy to disconnect the front wheel and wander off with it, so I lock it up as well. I've never had a bike with a quick release for the back wheel.
My saddle has a quick release thing, so if I'm leaving it somewhere a bit dodgy for any length of time (at the beach, for ex.), I take the saddle with me.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I might rethink this bike business, I don't want to be carrying all this shit around with me.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

It depends what you're planning on doing Disco, and what the risks are.

I'd use two locks if the bike was being left outside on the street overnight but I was just popping into a shop, I'd usually use one. I've never had a bike worth more a few hundred quid though.

A D-lock would probably be sufficient if you could fit that into a bag or basket.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Ok, yes, it wouldn't be left anywhere overnight. Cheers!
viggy

Post by viggy »

baargain wrote:
viggy wrote:According to Mr.Vig, the only safe bike lock is a length of thick chain inside an old bike tyre, fixed with a heavy duty padlock. he has bikes worth over a grand each, so he knows :look:
You can chop them with bolt cutters, DadBaa demonstrated on one of his odd security/scare your daughter demonstrations. D Lock for me, you need an anglegrinder to get through them. However, go for one with a decent lock - as many are easy to pick. I don't really know what a decent lock looks like though.
I'm sure there's a reason Mr.Vig's invention is bolt cutter proof, but to find out I'd have to listen again to the explanation that didn't stick in my head the first time :look:
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

:lol: maybe he should do demonstrations for you, this is why I remember bolt cutter info, but not lock picking info
BonnyBlue

Post by BonnyBlue »

Mr BB is a very active member of a cycle courier forum in London, so I asked him for advice. He's sent the following through:

"All cable locks are completely shit
All chains are almost as shit, even the beefy looking ones.
The only adequate lock is a d lock of at least 16mm diameter, but preferably 18mm.
The two best are:

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini
Kryptonite New York M-18

See this thread - http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours, lights and shades - these I saw. Look ye also whilst life lasts.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Thanks!