Period pain cures

Brass Neck

Period pain cures

Post by Brass Neck »

Urgh. What do people use to help during that very special time?

I'm spending a day a month crippled with pain. I've been using a combination of Nurofen Plus, Immodium (as an anti-spasmodic - very DIY of me) and hot water bottles, and ridiculous amounts of water to assist with the glamorous constipation part. It feels like a ruddy uphill battle sometimes though.

Has anyone had success with the American remedy Midol? I bought some cheap own-brand knockoff when I was in the US but typically enough I have started having pains before I can get home to try it.

I have a 23-day cycle so it just feels endless. :cry: Sometimes, maybe one month in three or four, it's so bad I can't walk, I can barely even breathe. I've no reason to suspect any underlying health issues like endometriosis.
Nail varnish mule
Shoe

Re: Period pain cures

Post by Shoe »

I like Boots own paracetamol with codeine tablets combine with either Buscopan (also DIY anti-spasmodic) or sometimes I use Boots own travel sickness tablets as they have a really good anti-spasmodic thing in and you get a wee bit of a head fuzz on which I enjoy as it distracts from any left over pain. :))
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

You can get Buscopan over the counter here and that is a brilliant anti spasmodic

they do a version with added paracetomol as well

you take it a couple of days before during and after - I think.

I am on it permanently for endo and it is a life saver but I used to be on it 20 odd years ago for period pains
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
bright_light

Post by bright_light »

The boots codeine work very well, I've found, but can leave you a leetle bunged up - so if that's another 'special affliction' you suffer with anyway, you may want to supplement with lots of fruit juice or something.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I use a Boots (do I use anything other than Boots :ella: ) own make version of Feminax. I think it's the same sort of formulation to Midol.

The colon spasms are the worst.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Robin

Post by Robin »

Feminax express are great for relieving pain and don't bung you up too much. I also use a hot wheat pack for the back pain and stomach cramps. I feel for you Brass Neck mine can be really bad, not helped by me having endometriosis. Can you go on the pill? Some of them are really good for sorting out cramps.
Brass Neck

Post by Brass Neck »

Hmmm, thanks for that. Buscopan is prescription-only here, sadly, which is why I use Immodium but I will check out the Feminax too, it sounds good.

In Ireland you have to get a special lecture from the pharmacist about not being a junkie if you want to buy anything with codeine in it, so I dare say we probably don't have a huge amount to choose from.

I like the idea of the travel sickness tablets too! Mmmm, fuzzy head. :)

ETA I'm not keen on going back on the pill at the mo, not until I get the smoking knocked on the head, I'm just too old for it. :shame:
Nail varnish mule
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Duophonic wrote:I use a Boots (do I use anything other than Boots :ella: ) own make version of Feminax. I think it's the same sort of formulation to Midol.
Can you remember the name?

Feminax used to work great for me but then they took out all the good shit and now it doesn't do any more than regular paracetamol which is bugger all for me. :grump:
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

I wasnt sure Brass I thought that was the case

could you ask your dr for a prescription ?
Lucy666

Post by Lucy666 »

Ibuprofen lysine works best for me, codeine used to bung me up which made it unbearably worse. Failing that, diclofenac helps.
Brass Neck

Post by Brass Neck »

I think I might, I'm due a visit to my health centre before the semester ends (I get €10 doc visits during term time, which is incredible - compared to €60) so I'm going to make a list of every minor ailment I have ever had as I will probably not be able to see a doctor again until October. :lol:
Nail varnish mule
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Codeine doesn't bung me up unless I am on it for weeks, like when I had my teeth out, which is unfortunate because at that special time of the month I go the exact opposite way and often feel I would be best living in the loo for a few days. :( :TMI:

Brass, I will post you Buscopan and OTC codeine if you want?
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I've checked Shoebert and they are exactly the same formulation so they might not work for you.

Boots Rapid Ibuprofen 342mg. Ibuprofen Lysine.

They also have a gastric resistant version (sometimes if I leave my pain for too long I start vomitting)

Boots Pharmacy Period Pain Relief 250 mg Gastro-Resistant Tablets - 9 Tablets. These are the ones with Naproxen in which I think is the ingredient they took out of the older style Feminax but I'd need to check with Mr D

I did have a copy of the BNF hanging around but I think Mr has taken it back into work with him.
Last edited by Duophonic on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

I use that ibuprofen too it is usually marketed as migraine relief and you can also take buscopan and paracetemol with it :druggie:
Brass Neck

Post by Brass Neck »

Oooh, you are all so helpful. :perky: I will root around the Giant Boots this evening and see what I can find, and then if it turns out that I can't find anything that works for me, yes, some drug-pushing-by-post would be really greatly appreciated. :george:
Nail varnish mule
Lucy666

Post by Lucy666 »

Right, what is an anti spasmodic please? It the colon spasms which floor me, they're worse than labour.
la Fée Verte

Post by la Fée Verte »

I alternate Boots codeine & paracetamol tablets with Ibuprofen. Hot water bottles are great too. I think in 17 years I've never had a period where I've not taken any painkillers, but, touch wood, they seem to be a little less hideous these days. Except last summer when I was meant to be taking my sister sight-seeing round Edinburgh, and ended up mostly seeing the inside of the loos in the Camera Obscura. And the pub over the road, and the one in Mr Fee's flat. :humble:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I was coming to suggest exercise and orgasms, but it sounds like you need the drugs :cheerup:
bright_light

Post by bright_light »

Lucy666 wrote:Right, what is an anti spasmodic please? It the colon spasms which floor me, they're worse than labour.
Diclofenic (strong ibuprofen) may help, or what would help loads I should imagine is Diazepam - but I don't know if they'd prescribe for cramps? Both work at stopping the muscles from spasming
la Fée Verte

Post by la Fée Verte »

Yeah, neither of those are going to happen when I'm feeling like total shit, Wendy. :cheerup: