Period pain cures

Brass Neck

Re: Period pain cures

Post by Brass Neck »

I suggested orgasms once on the daily thread, but I think I had to edit myself for rudeness as everyone was. :eek: Not a practicable office-based solution though. :mog:

Lucy, the whole uterine spasm thing is what knocks me, hence thinking it through and reading some helpful stuff (probably here, shur where else do I ever learn owt?) which suggested that the whole region benefits from an anti-spasmodic at that special time.

I don't know what I'm using a euphemism for, I hate them. I shudder at the phrases "Aunt Flo" and "my visitor" and "the curse". Gah.
Nail varnish mule
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

It basically stops the spasmy crampy stuff, Luce. I get hideous pains, I assume they're maybe colon spasms as several people have mentioned them, that are agony. Sometimes I can't work out if it's period related or I am about to have a massive... accident. :look: :shame: The Buscopan or the travel sickness things really help with that for me, it's by far the worst bit, I find. My aunt told me about the travel sickness pills as she's always had problems and from my research they seem to just be similar to Buscopan which is basically for cramps and spasms related to IBS and stuff.

A Dr once told me that because everything is so cramped together down there and there isn't much space that all your reproductive bits and your bowel and stomach can get a bit confused and it all goes spasmy mental at the same time, so I figure using something meant for a similar issue won't do any harm.
Lucy666

Post by Lucy666 »

There's not a chance I'm taking something like Diazepam for something like this!

The idea that there might be something that could stop the spasms is making me a bit tearful. The number of times I've been to the doctors about my agony and they just tell me to take paracetamol. The one thing I do know is that if I ever have another baby it'll be a walk in the park in comparison.

Sorry to hijack!
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

Buscopan is licensed for period pains but it is more known for IBS
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
la Fée Verte

Post by la Fée Verte »

When I was 12 / 13 and had period pain my mum would stuff me with Buscopan, which she used.
Brass Neck

Post by Brass Neck »

Gawd no, this is no kind of hijack, I had that same :idea: moment when I discovered there was, if you like, a 'reason' for the pain. I just haven't found exactly the right combo of drugs for it yet, is the thing. I can't bear the feeling of my uterus contracting, it is so creepy when you know there's no foetus involved. :)
Nail varnish mule
bright_light

Post by bright_light »

Lucy666 wrote:There's not a chance I'm taking something like Diazepam for something like this!!
Sorry, didn't mean it as a regular cure :)) More thinking aloud that it should be great for it - it's used for a lot of similar muscle problems as a short term measure.
Lucy666

Post by Lucy666 »

Ah, so stuff for IBS (is that the Buscopan you're all talking about)? I'm days away from my period and had already started with my anxiety about it. I'm going to get me some Buscopan!
Beena

Post by Beena »

Brasso, if you can walk the pain off, do so. It sounds ridiculous when you're doubled up, but I've found that it helps. I routinely walk out the office for 15-20 minutes when I feel the twinges start. For me, it tends to stop a bad attack. Drinking warm water also helps. Lots of water in general. Steer clear of anything that you know bungs up your system. Hot water bottles and those self-heating patches. I've had this for so long now that I'd rattle if I relied purely on popping pills.

I know you say you've no reason to think it's anything more than painful periods, but I think if the pain is that bad, you do need to get checked out. It might be worth keeping a diary for the next few (6) months, with dates, levels of pain, types of pain, other symptoms. It'll show up patterns and what not.
Lucy666

Post by Lucy666 »

bright_light wrote:
Lucy666 wrote:There's not a chance I'm taking something like Diazepam for something like this!!
Sorry, didn't mean it as a regular cure :)) More thinking aloud that it should be great for it - it's used for a lot of similar muscle problems as a short term measure.
I'm too much of a potential junkie to risk anything like that :))
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Lucy666 wrote:There's not a chance I'm taking something like Diazepam for something like this!
I've tried valium and it was nowhere near as good as the Buscopan (the IBS one) or travel sickness drugs (I don't know for sure but it might have to be Boots own version due to what's in them). I was just out my face and sore. :lol:

Lucy you should definitely try one or the other next time (of the OTC drugs not valium or diazepam!), I couldn't believe the difference it made to me. If I don't take any I actually feel like everything is contracting so hard I am going to give birth to an internal organ. :ruby:

If I take 2 P&C and 2 Buscopan or travel calmers then I am almost totally fine for at least 4-5 hours, sometimes the whole working day.
Brass Neck

Post by Brass Neck »

Goddamn, I love diazepam! :mrgreen: :alsoajunkie:

Beena, you've a good point actually. I'll talk about it at my next doc visit and then if I keep a diary for the next few months, by October I should have a good idea of the pattern. Walking is fine when I can, so I do when it's mild, but genuinely there are some months where I can hardly breathe and am doubled over, I would be stumbling at a zombie-like pace down the road weeping with my face somewhere around my knees. :lol:

Thankfully it's not too bad today, so I have at least the wherewithal to post about it, which I haven't some months.
Nail varnish mule
la Fée Verte

Post by la Fée Verte »

Exercise always makes me feel worse.

Oh, also, I get nausea which sounds a lot like morning sickness. I have to eat little and often, preferably stodge, and if I get too hungry I feel really sick.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Buscopan is the dogs for relieving the cramps that leave you doubled up on the floor, passing clots and wishing for death. That, hot water bottles (or those wheat packs you heat in the microwave), and keeping fluid levels up is the only thing that helps N when hers are bad.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Brass Neck wrote:Goddamn, I love diazepam! :mrgreen: :alsoajunkie:

Beena, you've a good point actually. I'll talk about it at my next doc visit and then if I keep a diary for the next few months, by October I should have a good idea of the pattern. Walking is fine when I can, so I do when it's mild, but genuinely there are some months where I can hardly breathe and am doubled over, I would be stumbling at a zombie-like pace down the road weeping with my face somewhere around my knees. :lol:.
I've actually crawled home from work on my hands and knees before now. I have no shame left. :lol:

My pain threshold is skywards these days. I didn't even bother with pain relief immediately after surgery. My morphine pump (which I love) died after an hour or so and that was me pretty much done. If I think I'm heading for a bad month, I can usually manage by keeping moving during the day and popping something super-strong to get me through the night. Waking up screaming in pain is never nice.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Beena wrote:Brasso, if you can walk the pain off, do so. It sounds ridiculous when you're doubled up, but I've found that it helps. I routinely walk out the office for 15-20 minutes when I feel the twinges start. For me, it tends to stop a bad attack. Drinking warm water also helps. Lots of water in general. Steer clear of anything that you know bungs up your system. Hot water bottles and those self-heating patches. I've had this for so long now that I'd rattle if I relied purely on popping pills.

I know you say you've no reason to think it's anything more than painful periods, but I think if the pain is that bad, you do need to get checked out. It might be worth keeping a diary for the next few (6) months, with dates, levels of pain, types of pain, other symptoms. It'll show up patterns and what not.
Absolutely word for word what Beena said. When my pains were at their worst I was pacing the house at 4am. Codeine bunged me up and only provided slight pain relief so I deemed it not worth it. Mine was fibroids and I was badly dicked around by the NHS over a period of two years, so start logging and recording everything and get in the system ASAP.
Brass Neck

Post by Brass Neck »

Oh god YES. Being woken up roaring by period pains is the worst. :ruby:

Morphine pump, you say? :puzz:
Nail varnish mule
Lucy666

Post by Lucy666 »

I feel a bit naive about all this, having had periods for a good 15 years. But they were totally fine before having a baby so it's all new to me.
la Fée Verte

Post by la Fée Verte »

Ouch, really, Luce? Would a Mirena help you?
Brass Neck

Post by Brass Neck »

I know what you mean, Luce. It's only since I came off the pill about two years ago that this joyous adventure has begun. :ruby: At leat it's better than when I was a teenager, when I used to pass out with the pain, and doctors wouldn't prescribe the pill for teenagers.
Nail varnish mule