Theatre and other live performances

Flora Poste

Re: Theatre and other live performances

Post by Flora Poste »

Chicky wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:08 pm I’d love to see Hamilton too. I just looked for tickets when I’m in London next but it’s SO expensive, they have done £43 seats but at the top of the highest floor, if you want to sit anywhere you might be able to see it’s £100+. I know it must cost a lot to put a show on but I find it prohibitively expensive, it’s such a shame.
I think they've put prices up as I got tickets the day booking opened for the second bit of the run (so still with the original London cast) and paid £37.50 for front row seats of the uppermost circle which was absolutely fine.

In fact, Mr P and I were moaning today about how expensive theatre has got - he was looking at tickets for Upstart Crow and even the really rubbish seats were £80/90.

I saw Les Mis twice last year - the first time was cheap seats for the show in the January sale, and then I went to the staged concert with Michael Ball as Javert and Matt Lucas as Thernadier which was absolutely brilliant.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I went to the theatre last week to see Ghost Stories. It was good. I have a secret in that I am not madly keen on the theatre. I only really like it if it's scary or funny. I struggle to take serious theatre seriously. I get embarrassed for the actors. I am a terrible philistine.

Anyway, I thought I'd have a look following the success of Ghost Stories and have been completely depressed by the fact it's all Sister Act and Riverdance in Manchester. I would rather gouge my eyes out.

Also, it's ruinously expensive to take the kids to. I need *someone* to nudge me if there's anything good on that I need to see.

*Bats
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I was giving Ghost Stories the once over earlier. Glad to hear it's good.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

https://www.royalexchange.co.uk/whats-o ... ght-one-in Too serious rather than scary?

I imagined Manchester to have a few theatres - are their smaller ones that might be more imaginative in their schedule? Though I did see Back To The Future The Musical advertised, which made me sad.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

There are a few theatres but they are mostly on the circuit for those sort of musicals that I find excruciating. There's actually really good regional theatre in both Huddersfield and Oldham so I will beak at those. Weirdly, considering I particularly dislike long plays, I am partial to a bit of Shakespeare.

The Royal Exchange one looks interesting but also serious. I often fall asleep there. :look: I bet it's a good half-an-hour too long.
Luna

Post by Luna »

I’ve got tickets for a Tango Fire and Six next month.
I really want to see some ballet (my first love) this year.
rosy

Post by rosy »

N and I decided that we would go to the theatre at least once a month in 2020, plus I occasionally go with my friend C. Sheffield Theatres do a really good deal for wheelchair tickets at £15 plus a free carer ticket no matter what the normal price is, so we saw the Nutcracker in January and will be seeing Everybody's Talking About Jamie next week. I've booked for Priscilla Queen of the Desert for March, and April is still under discussion.

Chesterfield doesn't have a cheap ticket thing for the Pomegranate theatre, but recently I've seen Ruby Wax live, a couple of films (I find cinemas too loud and intimidating) and a livescreening of a van Gogh exhibition.

I also went to an open air theatre performance of Much Ado About Nothing by the Handlebards last year, and I really want to see them again. They are doing Macbeth locally in July, so I've just booked tickets.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I love the Handelbards!
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

PQOTD is fabulous! I had no idea what to expect, but I loved it (five years or so ago, with Jason Donovan).
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Ruby wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:11 pm I went to the theatre last week to see Ghost Stories. It was good. I have a secret in that I am not madly keen on the theatre. I only really like it if it's scary or funny. I struggle to take serious theatre seriously. I get embarrassed for the actors. I am a terrible philistine.
This is me... and no play needs to be over 1 hour 15 minutes please. In total.

I last saw God's Dice, which I was enjoying, but what always happens is I start fixating on when it's going to finish. It's a terrible affliction.

I'm going to see something about periods with Rachel Johnson soon. Oh I went to one of those Intelligence Squared talks the other day. It was really good and not too long: https://www.intelligencesquared.com/eve ... absurdity/

I go to the Union Chapel quite a lot to see comedy, but find that all a bit long towards the end, especially with only an arse aching hard pew to sit on.

ETA I've got tickets for To Kill a Mockingbird for June. SB2 and I are going together.
Malan
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Marth wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:18 pm ... and no play needs to be over 1 hour 15 minutes please. In total.
Oh God yes. My friend wrote a play once that was half an hour long and played in pubs. It was perfect. 👌🏻
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Duophonic wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:18 pm I was giving Ghost Stories the once over earlier. Glad to hear it's good.
I screamed really loudly at one point and everyone turned round and looked at me.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

My brother bought S and I tickets to see The Visit at the NT and when I checked the running time it was 3hrs 30mins long :emme: I felt really bad but I asked him if someone else wanted the tickets.
Last edited by emma_p on Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Were you the only one? :))

At WiB and during a pivotal part near the end (won't spoil it) someone loudly sneezed and let out one of those crazy barks of laughter - didn't go down well.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Duophonic wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:43 pm Were you the only one? :))
I couldn't tell because I deafened myself from my own scream. Partner says other people screamed but he might just have been making me feel better. I don't want to spoiler it but it was one of my fear-triggers. :mog: Bear in mind I nearly shat myself watching Toy Story 4.

emmap, that sounds terrible. My aunt once tried to convince my sister and I to go to a seven hour production of an Ibsen play. I told her to get fucked.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ruby wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:11 pm I went to the theatre last week to see Ghost Stories. It was good. I have a secret in that I am not madly keen on the theatre. I only really like it if it's scary or funny. I struggle to take serious theatre seriously. I get embarrassed for the actors. I am a terrible philistine.
I'm sure we've had this conversation before but I feel exactly the same. It all stems from watching a school play circa 1996 and watching an earnest sixth former deliver a monologue and then throw a papier mache head into the audience in the final scene. :mog:

I did manage to watch The Lion King last year when it came to Bristol but nothing else for several years. I think I out philistine you
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I feel the same as Ruby and Smal about plays, but I love ballet and opera
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I saw The Book of Mormon and Goodnight Mr Tom last month, both were really good although very different from each other. Upcoming i've got We Will Rock You (my mum is obsessed, I have no idea how many times she's watched it), Mallory Towers the Musical (a christmas gift), Six and HP Lovecraft: Gallory of Screams.

I definitely find theatre cheaper this way, which is why I'm seeing so much.
smalex

Post by smalex »

My sister and some friends went to see The Book Of Mormon a couple of weeks ago. Her friend enthusiastically complimented the 'actor' outside afterwards - 'really enjoyed it, it was hilarious' ... then realised it was an actual Mormon campaigning against the show :mog:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

:mog:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.