Book Notes

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: Book Notes

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

There was much mensch in the Book Thief. Also hated it.
Lola

Post by Lola »

The book was very divisive :)) You might prefer the film, Duo.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'm glad there's haters here. I always get the impression that I was the outlier. I'm just going to return it, life's too short.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Saumensch!
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

I got to the end and wondered what the point was. "Germans are people too"? It just read like a bunch of quite obvious points being plonked out. Maybe it had some lengthy message in there but I missed it by being annoyed.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I loved Rizzio. I wish she would write faster. :lg:

I have read an absolutely AWFUL book called Absolute Book, I have no idea why I even finished it. :lol: It was fantasy? I think. Awful. Total mash up of half thought through ideas.

Anyway, I have The Paper Palace from the library and have bought a book about botany from the RHS, so that should aid recovery.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I have just finished (and loved) The Wolf Den and am desperate for the second book which inexplicably isn’t out here until September. Why? :bite: I’ll buy it before then if I get back to the UK this summer.

In the meantime I’ve started The Huntress and have just got Queens of Themiscyra on kindle unlimited. And I still need to finish Neuromancer which got abandoned after coming back off holiday. So plenty to be getting on with. But if I had the House With the Golden Door I’d read that first.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I started The Paper Palace at the weekend and am enjoying it so far.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Epponnee Rae wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:29 am I have just finished (and loved) The Wolf Den and am desperate for the second book which inexplicably isn’t out here until September. Why? :bite: I’ll buy it before then if I get back to the UK this summer.
The second book is great! Not even available as an ebook?
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

No! Not even hardback, which I would happily have bought.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I finished The Paper Palace today, I really liked it, and loved that it was set in Cape Cod which is one of my favourite places that I've ever been.

Next, the new Mark Billingham.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I've been re-reading the early Stephanie Plum series. I think I gave up originally at about 13 so thought I'd start from the beginning again in the hope of remembering why I liked them.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Thanks to this thread, I have just started Dear Mrs Bird and loving it so far! It makes me smile a lot.
Pootle
Topaz Titanium

Post by Pootle »

sally maclennane wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:28 pm I finished The Paper Palace today, I really liked it, and loved that it was set in Cape Cod which is one of my favourite places that I've ever been.
I have this on my next to read pile and absolutely agree about favourite place too. I read Family of Liars, the prequel to We Were Liars, and enjoyed it (although I didn't remember much about the first) and that was the same for sense of place.

I picked up a leaflet from the library about the Great Jubilee Read, which I hadn't paid much attention to, but I've started working my way through the list and I'm enjoying it a lot - it's a selection of 70 books from throughout the Commonwealth over the last 70 years so I'm picking up things I wouldn't normally and finding some really good reads. I'm currently on A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, about India and it's excellent. Most of them are on the library app fortunately so easy to get hold of them!
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

On holiday, I read:

Goodbye to Berlin- Christopher Isherwood. Written and set in early 1930s Berlin, there's not much plot but the author describes the society and characters he meets beautifully.
Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury. Found this difficult to get into and it never paid off, though I can see why it's held in esteem by so many people
If It Bleeds- Stephen Kings. 4 novellas, including a Holly Gibney story- I do love that character- and the other stories have stayed with me and I keep thinking about them which is a good thing.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I've just started Verity by Colleen Hoover.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve just finished Mother Mother by Annie Mac. It was heartbreaking.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Pootle wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:08 am I'm currently on A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, about India and it's excellent.
That is an excellent book, but please schedule something er, light, for after it. :yes:

I am rereading Guy Gavriel Kay's Sarantium epics. I expect to be at it all summer. :)) It's like going to a nice, comforting, safe little world. :love2:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Oh my god, A Fine Balance is the bleakest book I've ever, ever read.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I still think about it sometimes, and it's nearly 15 years maybe since I read it. :yes: