Choose my house

olive
Really Creepy

Re: Choose my house

Post by olive »

Georgia wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:49 pm If it's so hard to find a rental, why are they so caught up on getting you in their house? Surely it's easy for them to rent? That's what I would be asking myself, anyway.

Just trust your instincts! Good luck. :))
I have been. :))

As rentals have been so in demand our realtor told us to write a letter with our application which we did and they loved that. They also like the fact that we’re renting our own house out so understand what it’s like being a landlord too.

We’re meeting at 5pm.

I need to keep some perspective as well though. We’re all a bit flat after the weekend so I’d make a deal with the devil right now.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I was going to say that too - about renting your own house out too. Our landlord definitely liked that which is one of the reasons we got the house over the other applicants.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That sounds brilliant good luck! It sounds like the landlord has had a reality check that it may be their house, but it needs to be somebody else’s home.
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

Fingers crossed! They sound like they are trying really hard to be reasonable and non-neurotic, so hopefully they'll succeed :))
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I would want to discuss the right to quiet enjoyment* factor, if you go ahead. How often are they likely to be popping in to check on their beloved floor? Are there regular checks built into the agreement? To be fair, they seem as keen on you as they are on their furnishings :)) so may well want to keep you happy and won't be a nuisance, but it would be worth checking as much as possible in advance (*especially as the right to quiet enjoyment may not actually be a right over there).
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Going won't hurt. Good luck.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I have never had a landlord who popped in. I did once rent a house through a rental agency that passed on a complaint to us (from a "neighbour") that we had a naked Barbie doll on our front porch. We said we would like to know who the neighbour was, as we were actually quite freaked out that someone was paying such close attention to our house and even managed to track down our rental agency. Turned out the owner of the house lived in the same neighbourhood and were keeping tabs on us. (Our friend had put the doll there as a joke, which makes no sense now and I can't even remember why, but it was funny at the time and not exactly grounds for suspicion!) They actually got rid of the rental agency and dealt with us directly, and they were fine. They asked if they could pop over to do some garden maintenance once and that was about it.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

That is so weird, Georgia. I know the landlords live nearby and are friends with most people in the community so there will be spies. That’s been the case with at least half of the places we’ve seen where the landlord lives nearby and is organising the rental themselves.

There is a clause in the contract that says that we are entitled to 24 hours notice ahead of their visit and their is nothing about any checks throughout the tenancy.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

In Texas we had people measure our front lawn. With a ruler.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

And? How was it? It sounds like they just really want a nice family.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

It was good! They are actually really nice and even my realtor who was very cynical said they are very different in person than how they (mainly she) come across on text/ email and she felt totally comfortable with us renting the house.

They just want their house looked after and feel that we’re likely to do that.

There is a 12 monthly check but nothing beyond that. They’ll come by with contractors if needed (for example the house is due to be painted in the spring) but they have 5(!) kids and don’t want to be running over constantly to fix or look at things.

We will probably run into them as they are members of the country club* and we’ll look at joining for the pool as it’s literally a 1 minute drive from the house.

* here a country club seems to be anything that has a golf course and a pool. It’s not some swanky, ludicrously priced one with strict entry requirements obviously.

We’re removing all clauses that we’re not happy with I.e hard wood floors and one other ($75 call out fee) and should sign later today.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Exciting!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'm glad its been resolved to your satisfaction, Olive! It must be such a relief.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Hooray! That lovely house and (seemingly) sane landlords! :toot:
Little My

Post by Little My »

That's great!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

What a relief olive, I hope you can start settling in properly now.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Brilliant well done! Your house sounds amazing.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That is an excellent outcome! When do you move in?
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

What a good outcome!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Hurrah!