Covid-19

Mountain Goat

Re: Covid-19

Post by Mountain Goat »

I liked that Whitty did all the graphs, they addressed a lot of the ignorant crap you see spouted all over social media (that case positivity is going up, it's not just about more testing, and that hospitalisations/ICU admissions are going up, it's not just cases). But other than that, it was just Johnson waffling about sponges. Some good questions, but they all went largely unanswered as usual.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

Hm, so apparently my work have said people can be flexible and WFH some of the time but they'd prefer people in the office also some of the time, because "senior management came in and were disappointed to see only 4 people in", and "if they see it this empty they're going to insist on everyone being in, and that'd ruin it for everyone."

Wait.

1. They were disappointed?
2. They can't insist. The guidance clearly says 'work from home where possible.'
3. Subtle suggestion that anyone doing too many WFH days compared to office days will be the one 'blamed' for the whole class losing their treat?

That was unhelpful.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I would be absolutely raging at that, Daire. Spitting.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Wowzers.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Well that's bizarre logic. If you want people to come in more but not always, then figure out a system or STFU.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Too many companies are doing this. Too many of them won’t say you have to be in, but they do let managers say it would be nice if you’d come in sometimes. There. Is. A. Pandemic. Fuck these guys.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh my good fucking god. This makes me rage on so many levels I am inarticulate about it.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Honestly, Daire I’m furious just reading that. Absolute bastards.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

That's awful, Daire. Some companies are really showing themselves right now.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

That’s awful!
Disco

Post by Disco »

It's very unfair and unnecessary.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Daire, I would be furious. I don't understand the way some managers think.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

That really is awful. What do they think is the problem with working from home? As much as I'm hating it, I'd be so, so put off by an employer that didn't seize the opportunity to be forward thinking and see if this is a chance to try doing things a new way, or at the very least accept it as the best way to keep their employees and their families safe.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

I'm one of those weirdos who likes the office environment more than home, but I also want to follow the guidance and not spread the virus - I have kids in school, I'm more likely to spread it around. I don't want to be part of the problem that sends us back into lockdown.

Most tech companies have taken the pressure off by just going "WFH indefinitely" or they'll reassess in Jan or later. It means you know what's what, where you stand. Pushing it just feels so off.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Lots of companies are rolling out new spying software and stuff that lets them monitor a user’s face via their screen to check that they’re always at their desk! Total cunts.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Honestly, what sane manager thinks that is the way to squeeze out better performance or a bit of flexibility if the work runs over past 5pm. Too much focus on when and where takes attention away from quality of work
Panda

Post by Panda »

Jeez, that spying software stuff sounds terrible Ella! Surely a good manager knows when their staff are being productive, and that the presentee clock watchers in the team are almost always the least productive ones?

We did a staff survey recently and I was amazed at how many staff were keen to go back to working in the office at least part time. Our office has remained open throughout (as some staff have to do essential work from the office) and is COVID secure. I thought that after the recent announcements the staff that were drifting back in would go back to working from home, but we still seem to have about a quarter of the staff who are working in the office on various days.

I’ve done two days in the office in the last month, and they were hands down the least productive days I have had for a long time because of the constant interruptions.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Its just so insulting to insinuate the necessity to work from home (following government advice) during a fucking pandemic is an indulgence your staff can't be trusted with.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:26 pm Lots of companies are rolling out new spying software and stuff that lets them monitor a user’s face via their screen to check that they’re always at their desk! Total cunts.
Mr O was just telling me about a guy getting absolutely flamed in LinkedIn for using this. He can track keystrokes and all kinds of stuff of his team. He uses contractors all over the world so basically keeps tabs on them that way. How fucking intrusive!
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

smalex wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:47 pm Its just so insulting to insinuate the necessity to work from home (following government advice) during a fucking pandemic is an indulgence your staff can't be trusted with.
We did a staff survey recently and I was amazed at how many staff were keen to go back to working in the office at least part time. Our office has remained open throughout (as some staff have to do essential work from the office) and is COVID secure. I thought that after the recent announcements the staff that were drifting back in would go back to working from home, but we still seem to have about a quarter of the staff who are working in the office on various days.
[/quote]
Even the most introverted people I know are missing the office now. We had a similar survey and from chatting with colleagues most people wanted 3 or 4 days in the office each week.