Film 2022

H1ppychick

Re: Film 2022

Post by H1ppychick »

You should really watch The Great, if you haven’t already - Nicholas Hoult is both repulsive and absurdly attractive in that.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

No I haven’t, that’s the thing about Catherine the Great, isn’t it?
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

It is fantastic, so darkly comedic
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I took five eleven and twelve year old boys to see Black Panther 2 and they all really enjoyed it, though I agree it clearly suffered a bit from having to work around Chadwick Boseman’s unexpected death. Though I thought they dealt with that really well. I was expecting some pushback from the boys over the fact that in T’Challa’s absence it’s a very female-centric movie, but they weren’t remotely bothered by that, which was a pleasant surprise!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I watched She Said yesterday, the one about the reporters who broke the story about Harvey Weinstein. It was actually pretty good, and it seemed like a lot of women were involved in producing it, i.e. it wasn’t at all salacious.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Last night we watched a Prince for Christmas and it was as bad as it sounds. It’s got an actress from Spartacus in it and she mouth breaths plus bares her teeth most of the time. Once I’d noticed I couldn’t help but stare.

Today, we’ve gone for some new classics and due to Elf being poorly watched Nativity 1, Nativity 2 and The Grinch.

I looked up the dedication on Nativity 2 and it’s for Jason Watkins (Mr Shakespeare.) two year old daughter. She contracted Sepsis and died on NYD the year the film was released.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

We just watched Amsterdam which has terrible reviews but I really liked it.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I watched the Brad Pitt remake of Bullet Train on the way over, and quite enjoyed it. Quite stabby and lots of gruesome deaths (if not fully explicit) but had some humour too. Kick Ass kid has gotten Quite attractive, hasn’t he?
Last edited by Epponnee Rae on Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I liked Bullet Train. :)) I thought it was quite amusing.

We watched Wakanda Forever and thought the tribute to Chadwick Boseman was beautifully done. And the rest of it was entertaining enough. But I think Marvel haven't been as good since they went to Disney. The films used to have much more edge and humour. If you're going to do 2 hours and 41 minutes of superhero gubbins you have to be able to laugh at yourselves a bit. I also went a bit 'remember when' coming out of the cinema and was all 'remember when films where a nice hour and a half long?' Still, the cinema was toasty. :)) Also: trailer for Avatar. Straight NO. :)) I do not have 3 hours and 15 minutes of my life to give to James Cameron's green mermen.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Husband booked tickets for himself and a friend for Avatar and didn't realise it was over three hours long. He's not impressed.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

How did he not suspect, given how long the first one was :))?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

That's an absolute pet peeve of mine, films should be 90 minutes long, 2 hours in exceptional circumstances only. Directors are far too indulged these days, I'd edit them all to hell :cracks knuckles:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Same, it’s so self-indulgent of them.
Luna

Post by Luna »

This is why I hate the cinema. It's loud, long, I'm fidgety and frequently in need of wee half way through.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

We watched Robert Pattinson's Batman last night and if I'd watched that when I was at an impressionable age I'd have been obsessed with it and him for years afterwards. It was a piece of glorious gothic beauty. :love2: I feel slightly like I've cheated on Christopher Nolan (and Christian Bale, and Cillian Murphy, and Heath Ledger) now though. :)) Also, it was still way too long.

We also watched The Dead Don't Die, which R gave a 3 on IMDB afterwards but which I thoroughly enjoyed and was clearly the result of Tilda, Bill Murray and Steve Buscemi being down the pub one night and deciding it'd be a great crack to do a zombie flick. :)) I gave it a 10 on IMDB, to counteract R's 3, because Tilda. It was weird and surreal and funny and slooow. And seemed to involve Adam Driver playing someone trying to channel Chief Brody. :))

I do tend to mostly avoid Mark Kermode in the Guardian, but his review of Avatar: the green people is quite amusing and has reinforced my decision not to bother until it's a wet Wednesday and we can't find anything with the Rock in it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Highly entertaining review. I find him easier to read than to listen to. I’ve no intention of seeing Avatar; never saw the original. I’ve got stuff to do in my life.

My main aim in film viewing this week is to watch The Muppet Christmas Carol.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I saw Avatar 2 yesterday, it was too long and not a patch on the first one (which I enjoyed).
Glint

Post by Glint »

Really late to the party, but we watched Top Gun Maverick at the weekend and I completely enjoyed it and loved all the throwbacks.

We also watched Avatar over 2 nights as S was going to see the second as a year end thing for the football team, which surprisingly kept me entertained as it wasn’t exactly what I thought it would be. The second was predictable and too long, but still good but not worth the hype.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Turtle Bean wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:29 pm We just watched Amsterdam which has terrible reviews but I really liked it.
I watched about the first hour of it last night. I’m really not sure what to make of it. It’s quite strange. But I shall watch the rest tonight.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

We saw Matilda yesterday and everyone all loved it. It's different enough to the 90s(?) film and Emma Thompson was brilliant/terrifying! The whole cast is excellent actually.