Do you use a VPN?

Morganna

Do you use a VPN?

Post by Morganna »

Just that, really.

I don't, but I do run Adblock, and it keeps telling me that I don't have a VPN, and offering a Safari-based one for £35 a year. Is there any point, given my total absence of spying or otherwise nefarious activity? Would it stop the annoying way in which one search for something brings up a million ads for related items forever more? Are there any obvious advantages I've missed, please, or are they just another way to part people from their cash?
Montana

Re: Do you use a VPN?

Post by Montana »

I have tried using Surfshark but find it more annoying than useful so often end up disabling it and think I have removed it from some devices. iPlayer in particular won't work if it detects a VPN.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I don't, and as a relatively law-abiding citizen who doesn't have any tinfoil hat tendancies, I don't see any need for one really.

Tinfoil is a bit derogatory, as it's a fair stance to not want custom ads or for Google to collect data on you, but I find the convenience outweighs the theoretical issues.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Yes, I'd forgotten that I'm often asked to disable AdBlock to read things. If the VPN made that worse, it would make me murderous. What I need to find is a way of blocking the request to set one up :)).
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I do but that is because I do things with my TV that I shouldn't. I use Proton at the moment but bounce between various (free) ones because they are all somewhat hit and miss to be honest.