Turtles, reading books

Turtle Bean

Re: Turtles, reading books

Post by Turtle Bean »

Raymond Chandler is brilliant isn't he.

Has anyone read any Ernest Hemingway. I've reread A Movable Feast this week and I love the way he uses words.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I read Weyward which I very much enjoyed, and also the follow up to Adele Parks Both of You - called Just Between Us. It wasn’t as good as the first but I still enjoyed it.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I've just finished Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh which was pretty addictive and very dark.

Before that I read The Heart and the Crown by Alison Weir, about Henry VIII, which was very long but I think would've been better split over several books. She just skated over the last 3 wives; though I suppose he did, too.

I tried Keanu Reeves is Not in Love With You but after the first few pages, which are just the author telling us how funny she is, I gave up.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Turtle Bean wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:45 pm Has anyone read any Ernest Hemingway. I've reread A Movable Feast this week and I love the way he uses words.
I LOVE Hemingway's writing - For Whom The Bell Tolls is my favourite and I remember it taking my breath away the first time I read it. I avoided him for years as we read (IMO) a truly awful short story of his for GCSE that I just didn't get at the time, so I was really blown away when I read him later on and got his writing more.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I just gobbled up a book by Hilarie Burton Morgan called The Rural Diaries. It's about her life as she veers away from Los Angeles and finds herself on 'Mischief Farm'. It's a major rollercoaster of emotions, and written in such a friendly, open style. Love her! Honestly, they could turn that book into a movie. A Hallmark movie probably, but I definitely don't mean that as an insult.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Turtle Bean wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:45 pm Raymond Chandler is brilliant isn't he.
Yes. :love2: I love him.
Has anyone read any Ernest Hemingway. I've reread A Movable Feast this week and I love the way he uses words.
I have avoided Hemingway, on the spurious grounds that he is liked by annoying men. And also because I keep mentally confusing him with the chap who wrote Moby Dick. :)) Do I need to rethink this?
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I have to separate Hemingway the person (misogynistic arsehole) with Hemingway the writer (phenomenal) in my mind. I didn't get on with The Old Man and The Sea though, although maybe I should try it again and thought it was really boring (but not as boring as Moby Dick which is possibly the dullest book I have ever read). Maybe I should just avoid books about deep sea fishing :lol:

I did like seeing the descendents of his six-toed cats when we went to his house in Key West though (they all still have six toes).
rosy

Post by rosy »

Find my name in the back of Keanu Reeves is Not in Love With You!

Percival Everett's book James was recommended to me this morning https://www.amazon.co.uk/James-reimagin ... 103503123X but I think I'm going to have to re-read Huckleberry Finn first as it's been decades since I read it.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m heading to another book event of my sister’s tonight so I imagine I’ll be buying a copy. It’s called The Walnut Tree, and is about women and violence in Edwardian and Victorian Britain.

I’ve finished all of the main Slow Horses books and will have to move onto the novellas, but S gave me an advance copy of the new Stacy Halls book, The Household, which I’m not fully into yet, but expect to be every bit as feminist as her others.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I think Hemingway is worth breaking the don't read books by arsehole men rule. Which let's face it, is pretty hard to keep to anyway.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

The Sun Also Rises is my favourite Hemingway.

I managed to do a degree in English & American Lit and still avoid reading Moby Dick. :look:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Finished The Hypnotist’s Love Story and it was ok. I need to go to the library to stock up again though.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

So I started Slow Horses and I am LOVING it. I thought it might have been a paler version of the series, but it's at least as good. And I think richer for the fact you can do more on motivations with a lot of narrative to go at. I am even starting to like Lamb a bit. Which was not wholly anticipated.

I have stuck The Sun Always Rises on my to read list, to pick up later. We're away in May and there will be lounging, plus high chance of rain (Wales) so it will be nice to have a good reading list to chill with.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

I've just finished Listen for the Lie, by Amy Tintera.

Set in small town Texas, mixture of 1st person narration and true-crime podcast interviews. I raced through it. I wouldn't say the solution/"twist" was all that but I liked the main character - a refreshing absence of anxiety-driven, dithery, drippy angstiness which drives me insane in a lot of first person female psych thriller narratives. Quite a lot of humour, despite the dark themes.

Also Everyone on this Train is a Suspect, which is a fun, meta murder-mystery set on the Ghan, the train that crosses Australia.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I knew you’d love it, Bats.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

The Slow Horses series is cheap on kindle at the mo, they're all 99p, apart from the 4th book for some reason.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Oh FFS. I paid £5.49 for each of them. :lg:
Disco

Post by Disco »

Thanks bargain! Public service announcer of bargains.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Little My wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:18 pm I just gobbled up a book by Hilarie Burton Morgan called The Rural Diaries. It's about her life as she veers away from Los Angeles and finds herself on 'Mischief Farm'. It's a major rollercoaster of emotions, and written in such a friendly, open style. Love her! Honestly, they could turn that book into a movie. A Hallmark movie probably, but I definitely don't mean that as an insult.
though has be on my Kindle wish list for a while, so I’m glad it’s good
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

baargain wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:47 am The Slow Horses series is cheap on kindle at the mo, they're all 99p, apart from the 4th book for some reason.
Thanks Baa - I've just stocked up!