Changing your name. Have you?

Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Re: Changing your name. Have you?

Post by Leap »

ps unrelated but the piper we met the other day told us he’s also married to a Pip :hbeat: A true festival of notorious P-I-Ps. [/offtopic]
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Congrats to Rosa and Kiwi!

I changed my surname when I got married and kept it when I got divorced as I didn't want to have a different name to the children. I've had it longer than my maiden name now and I don't actually mind it.

I'm not sure if/when C and I eventually tie the knot (for legal reasons more than anything) I would change my name again as that would mean I have the same name as his mum had!!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

How lovely Rosa!

I took Mr C’s surname when we got married, I’m used to it now. I’d never change my middle name as it’s a family name (it was my dad’s middle name, and my granddads and all my siblings and nieces and nephews (and the cats :)) ) all have the same one too). I wouldn’t change my first name either, despite people’s inability to spell it correctly.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

My first name is one of those common, typical late 1970s girls name (and to continue the theme, my middle name is Louise) which counteracts my long and unwieldy surname.

I refused to change when I got married as my husband’s name is a common, typical English surname and I didn’t want to sound like a character from 1990s Emmerdale.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Congratulations on your 25 years Rosa and Kiwi!

When we married, I took Mr D's surname, mostly because we were hoping to have kids and wanted the whole family to have the same surname. However, in all official documents (passport, driver's licence) you keep your maiden name here, with in small letters underneath "spouse of HusbandsSurname". In the UK that's different, right?
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I have never changed my name. I use a derivation of my legal first name as my known name, but other than that I have no inclination to change it. I did not take my husbands name when we married so many people who have know us for a long time don't even know that we are married :)
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

I use my maiden name for just about everything, except for some admin stuff in France where they automatically use my married name.
One thing that annoys me is that my GB passport is in my married name and I have often had problems because people at work book my tickets using my (maiden) name, they have no idea what my married name is.
I really don't want to change my name.

Like Bramble I don't want to be Madame B, because that's my MIL's name.

Our family also has a thing about using second names as first names and it can be really annoying for those involved. One of my sisters and my brother are in this scenario. Funnily when my sister got married the registrar talked about E taking M (my sister) as his wife and everyone in the room was looking around trying to work out who E was. Turns out is his first name, but nobody ever calls him that!

Annabella, French people think my maiden name is my married name because when pronounced with a Marseille accent it sounds French! SunnyDad got introduced to the GB consul here as Monsieur MySurName. He was amused and a bit perplexed.

Oh, and Rosa and Kiwi have made me dosums on my fingers and it turns out SunnyDad and I were married 30 years ago !!! (38 years together) Neither of us remembered it!!
Lola

Post by Lola »

I also don’t want to have my MIL’s name :)) I also don’t wish to a part of The Surnames as Mr L refers to his family. I am separate :snooty:
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

This is all so interesting!

Congratulations, SunnyMum! I hope you arrange something nice to celebrate belatedly.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Congratulations, all of you :))

I changed my name when I got married, thought I would keep it to have the same name as the boys after we divorced, then started hating it with a passion and changed back.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Congratulations Rosa and Kiwi!

For similar reasons to others, I changed my surname when I got married as I wanted us to share a name as a family. I did toy with double barrelling but we both had surnames that need spelling out over the phone so I couldn't be dealing with doubling that hassle!

I don't have a middle name - I've always been a bit grumpy about that. Maybe I should just give myself one (although maybe not name myself after an Enid Blyton character which was the last time I felt strongly about changing my first name!).
TracyA

Post by TracyA »

I've always had the same name, I've never married and if I had I'm not sure I would have changed my 8 letter surname for OH's 3 letter one. My children have his surname , so it's different to mine, but I'm fine with that.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Well done for putting up with each other. :love:

I'm astonished that some of you don't have middle names. It never occurred to us not to give our children middle names.

I've never changed my name, and have never married. But I will be using my impossible to misspell, three letter middle name for coffee from now on. Good idea! :)) It's not that I care about misspelling, I would just rather not have to get into it.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Mr D doesn't have a middle name which I always thought was strange. I assumed everyone had one when I was younger.

Like others, I use my maiden name for most things like work. Work colleagues don't know my married name, although I use it for social media stuff as it made it a bit more difficult to find me.

All of you guys will only know me by my married name due to the social media thing but I'll answer to most things :))

Mini has her father's name so we are all different names in this house which doesn't bother me. I used to be referred to as Mrs Mini's surname when MIni was at school.

It never occurred to me to change names. I wouldn't change my middle name as it's a family name. Mini's middle name follows the Irish standard of eldest female of the next generation gets the maternal family name which has been passed on for generations.

Congratulations to you three.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Duophonic wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:55 pm It never occurred to me to change names. I wouldn't change my middle name as it's a family name. Mini's middle name follows the Irish standard of eldest female of the next generation gets the maternal family name which has been passed on for generations.
So you're Duo Louise Phonic, and she's Mini Phonic Father? Or your mother's maiden name?
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

My name is Duo, my mother's Christian name, my mother's maiden surname, Phonic

Mini's name is - Christian name, grandmother's Christian name, father's surname

I've realised that my post should read - gets the maternal Christian family name - my older cousin is Christian family name, as was her mother as was our grandmother and so forth. I'm the first to change it slightly to middle name rather than given name.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I had to go over that a few times in my head, Duo, but I get it now. I do like it when names are passed down.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I don't have a middle name, which I found weird as my brother (older) has one, so they chose not to give me one.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Skips wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:28 pm I don't have a middle name, which I found weird as my brother (older) has one, so they chose not to give me one.
I don't have one either, and my older bro does. My oldest son doesn't but the younger one does.
Malan
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

That *is* weird, Skips!

I also had to read Duo's post a few times. I'm very into names being passed down. Both children have family names as middle names. Liv has my grandma's middle name and G has my grandad's and the name of their only son, who died at birth. It turn's out G's whole name is a family one on S's side too. He has a Great Uncle George with exact same first and middle name :love:
Last edited by emma_p on Tue May 14, 2024 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.