Changing your name. Have you?

Little My

Re: Changing your name. Have you?

Post by Little My »

George is such a good name to pass down.

We did family middle names too. For R, we used Mr LM's paternal grandmother's first name because we really liked it. So then we felt we should give B a family middle name, and chose my dad's first name.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Me and my brothers all have middle names, mine is my mum's favourite aunt, and it was also my dad's youngest sisters name. J doesn't have a middle name but his older sister does, and it annoys him a lot.

My nephew doesn't have a middle name but he is named after our grandfather. My nieces both have middle names, and they are both named after their grandmothers or great grandmothers.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:35 pm Me and my brothers all have middle names, mine is my mum's favourite aunt, and it was also my dad's youngest sisters name. J doesn't have a middle name but his older sister does, and it annoys him a lot.

My nephew doesn't have a middle name but he is named after our grandfather. My nieces both have middle names, and they are both named after their grandmothers or great grandmothers.
My bro's middle name is Colin after our grandad so I don't feel too bad 😂
Malan
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

The girls both have middle names that are linked to one of my parents. I went for Terese for Sproglette and it turned out P’s Nan was a Margaret Theresa, which neither of us knew until she mentioned it upon learning what we’d named our daughter!

Anyway, I did change my surname upon marriage. I planned to keep my maiden name at work but I had a work Amex and a personal Amex and it all got very confusing for them so I ended up changing it pretty much completely. :lol:

However, my passport remains in my maiden name which means I occasionally have to produce my wedding certificate for security checks, but I like having photo ID in both names.

I have no strong feelings about my first name. There are three ways to spell it so even having one of the more commonly used versions probably wouldn’t have stopped me having to spell it out.

I gave the girls names they could flex on purpose. Sproglette goes by her full first name at school and with SW friends. Everybody in her family and Watford friends still call her Daisy. T’other one never uses her full name but changed her shortening from Libby to Ella aged 4. :lol:
Last edited by wendy james on Tue May 14, 2024 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

:dotty: LM
sally maclennane

Marth wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:37 pm
sally maclennane wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:35 pm Me and my brothers all have middle names, mine is my mum's favourite aunt, and it was also my dad's youngest sisters name. J doesn't have a middle name but his older sister does, and it annoys him a lot.

My bro's middle name is Colin after our grandad so I don't feel too bad 😂
:lol:
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

My name was chosen for me as it couldn’t be shortened, but I’ve spent my whole life spelling it out for everyone regardless (WeJa :dotty: ) and also it always appears to be difficult for most to pronounce, so I’ve had to accept for years at work having my name rhyme with Harry. 🤷🏼‍♀️. Coupled with my surname which I think is Scottish? It’s always badly pronounced anyway :lol:

I kept my surname but now I’ve hit a point where I wonder why, (apart from strong feminist reasons for not taking someone else’s name) because actually I don’t have any allegiance to it given I’m estranged from my whole family and I do wonder whether I need a re-brand :lol:.

The boys have A’s surname but I don’t particularly want that either :lol: we did get drunk once and paid to change our names by deed poll, to the Italian variation of his surname, maybe I should just file the paperwork :lol:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Ha, I too got it as it couldnt be shortened. Mainly because my mum hates her name and most of its variations/pronunciations. She did the same for my siblings, though slipped up with Emma as her friends did shorten it!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I still don't get Duo's post. :lol:

I'm not bothered about family names. Tim's middle name is the same as my dad's middle name and my granddad's first name (my dad's dad) but only because it's the only one syllable boys name I liked.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

wendy james wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:19 pm Ha, I too got it as it couldnt be shortened. Mainly because my mum hates her name and most of its variations/pronunciations. She did the same for my siblings, though slipped up with Emma as her friends did shorten it!
Ha, exactly the same here. My parents believed Emma wouldn’t be shortened but it is and doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

I changed my name when I got married. TBH I don’t actually like either surname but at least the current one has an obvious spelling. My maiden name was an apparently simple name but an unusual version and I did get fed up of people asking if I was sure I’d spelt it right.
sally maclennane

wendy james wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:19 pm Ha, I too got it as it couldnt be shortened. Mainly because my mum hates her name and most of its variations/pronunciations. She did the same for my siblings, though slipped up with Emma as her friends did shorten it!
My mum gave us all names that couldn't be shortened so, of course I longed for a name that could be shortened or have a variation of it. I've thought a few times about switching to the Irish version of my name but I don't like it much more than the English version, and it's a bugger to pronounce. I'm not even sure I can pronounce it properly :lol:
Lola

Post by Lola »

I like that my first name can’t be shortened but a couple of people have tried & it just doesn’t work :ttth: I always have to spell out my surname & most people pronounce it wrong too :))
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

C was quite adamant hue didn’t want to use “family” names for our children but one of Squeak’s middle names is after my sister because I was high on drugs and had an open wound at the time I told him it was what I wanted.

My middle name is Jane, and my grandad always called my grandma Jane despite her name being actually Joan. I never asked if she minded.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

My first name is actually my first name + my middle name with no hyphen. Mum and dad couldn't decide which of the 2 names they wanted tu use so decided to use both.
I've spent my whole life correcting people who amputate the second half of my name.

Pip, my second half is Jane! It should have bean Jean, my Granny's name, but my parents "modernised" it. When SunnyDaughter#1 was born I wanted to give her my Granny's name as a 3rd first name (her second name is SunnyDad's Granny's name) but that is John in French, so she got my Jane.