Tension headache or TMJ?

Red

Tension headache or TMJ?

Post by Red »

I've been suffering with what I thought was tension headaches for a while and apart from the actual headache, my face hurts to touch, my jaw feels stiff and I'm suffering with some odd aching in lots of teeth which sort of turns into an earache.
This isn't the first time and previously I've self diagnosed as sinus issue along side the tension headaches and tried to release the tension in my face and jaw, with little success.

But I can't get rid of this headache, I feel like my upper body is jarred and like I've had a serious bang to the head.

I was googling my symptoms again last night and TMJ came up as possible cause. I thought TMJ was just clicky jaw which I don't have but it does match a lot of my symptoms, especially the aching face and teeth pain. I remembered that a few months ago I woke up and couldn't close my jaw/teeth on one side which was horrible.

I didn't think I was a teeth grinder, but I do hold a lot of tension in my neck shoulders and jaw when I'm stressed and the last few months workwise have been wanting-to-cry-at-my-desk busy.

I'm after any practical advice, particularly on this endless headache that I can't shift, regular pain killers don't seem to touch it.
Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're an asshole.
Cosmopolitan

Re: Tension headache or TMJ?

Post by Cosmopolitan »

That sounds like tmj to me. I've had tmj specific massage for it - which is horrific because basically the inside of your mouth gets massaged but it's so effective. Sometimes it's an osteopath who does it. Dentists are useless though they just want to sell you mouth guards - that doesn't alleviate the muscular tension.

That tension from the jaw radiates down and into the upper back which gives you the headache.

Apparently jaw Botox is really helpful as well.
Red

Post by Red »

Ok thanks Cos, I'll look into TMJ massage.
I've been doing some face massage when I cleanse and a bit watching TV but all thats done is make me aware of how much of my face hurts to touch around my eyebrows and cheekbones.

Botox! Shoe, if you read this, how did you get on? I don't think I'm there just yet but this pain has been going on for a long time now and I feel a bit worn down with it.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I didn't think I was a teeth grinder either but the dentist who took me over after my old one retired said it looked like I was and ordered me a mouth guard. There was definite evidence of grinding after a few weeks' wear! so even given Cos's comments, that may be helpful also in at least maybe preventing some of the tooth pain.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Migraleve/codeine is the only thing that gets close to touching my tension headaches, particularly the pink migraleve if I manage to get there quickly.
Red

Post by Red »

I've not thought of a migraine tablet, Chicky. I'm not sure if I've ever had codeine actually, but something to consider.

Hippy, I'm going to do a dentist trip anyway as I want to be sure that some of this pain is not a wonky tooth and yeh, they may recommend a guard.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I was ok with a mouth guard as it helped me identify other areas of tension like teeth gritting and hunched shoulders.

I had severe TMJ that was only properly resolved with a few years of orthodontic work but the mouth guard helped as did some cranial stuff from an osteopath. I didn't take painkillers as I just got immune to it I suppose, I'd had it for years so it became background for me.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Disco

Post by Disco »

My teeth are so badly ground down I can't sleep without my night guard.