Favourite meals at home

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Favourite meals at home

Post by Kenickie »

What are your favourite meals to cook at home?

I'm trying to do a weekend menu and totally lacking inspiration.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Glint

Re: Favourite meals at home

Post by Glint »

I tend to prefer simple pasta ones, I like carbonara as it’s generally very tasty for minimal effort.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

When I’m lacking inspiration, I choose a region & make from that for the weekend. I tend to make more complicated things on a weekend. I love pottering in the kitchen & listening to Radio 2 on a Saturday afternoon.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Choosing a region is a good idea, although I'm still stuck trying to narrow it down to that!

Carbonara is a good call, it's a crowd pleaser here too. I think maybe with garlic bread.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I also pick one cookbook (often a Nigella) and exclusively choose recipes from that.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Shakshuka but with pancetta lobbed in.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Have you tried it with chorizo? And/or feta, roasted aubergines, good black olives?

When the weather's good, all thoughts here turn to the bbq. I did a good accompaniment to the meat of a big platter of roasted veg last weekend that went down well.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Chorizo, definitely. Never thought of feta though, that would be good!

I miss not having a garden, because barbecue would happen all of the time if either of us had our way.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Our very favourite in this house is fajitas/tacos. It's also a nice thing to prepare together.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Tacos are fucking arseholes.

Soz, Alan.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

As documented on here, Saturday nights are smash burger night in the Est household. Non-negotiable.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Please refer to menu planning thread for my responses. :mog:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

It's Friday night burgers chez emma. Usually Michelle Obama chicken ones served with slaw, corn but I also like a greek style lamb burger with halloumi fries, hummus, tzatziki and greek salad. Or chorizo burgers with aioli, romesco and manchego.

When the weather's good we do weekend bbqs and pizza outside. I bought a rotisserie attachment for the bbq after falling in love with picking up rotisserie chicken as an easy dinner when we were on holiday in France. We used it last weekend and served the chicken with puy lentils, salad and baguette. BBQ chicken wings, homemade ranch, corn and wedge salad is a favourite too.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Disco wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:53 am Please refer to menu planning thread for my responses. :mog:
Also, yes, what Disco said! I am not great at menu planning so I mostly I post in retrospect but it's really useful to scan back on the thread when I've run our of cooking inspiration and my mind is blank.
Disco

Post by Disco »

emma_p wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:01 am Also, yes, what Disco said! I am not great at menu planning so I mostly I post in retrospect but it's really useful to scan back on the thread when I've run our of cooking inspiration and my mind is blank.
I've got an actual notebook in real life. This current one has been going for four years but it's very handy to flick back and see what I was having this time last year and beyond for inspo.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

When the seasons change is when I find it the most useful. Remembering old favourite recipes is the best - like reuniting with an old friend :love:
Disco

Post by Disco »

Yes! And “tis the season to be braised broad beans in garlic rubbed ciabatta topped with grilled Camembert. :frolic:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Disco wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:47 am
emma_p wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:01 am Also, yes, what Disco said! I am not great at menu planning so I mostly I post in retrospect but it's really useful to scan back on the thread when I've run our of cooking inspiration and my mind is blank.
I've got an actual notebook in real life. This current one has been going for four years but it's very handy to flick back and see what I was having this time last year and beyond for inspo.
I have this too. It’s my shopping list/meal plan notebook.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks all. I've been sold on burgers, and pizza as well.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I do the same as Pip, pick a country or cookbook and then make a few sharing plates from that. I love pottering about making our Saturday/Sunday feast.