National Service

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

National Service

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Stupidest idea ever, right? It’ll be just like the apprenticeship system, manipulated by some to get the funding. And there’ll be no proper opportunity to actually do anything meaningful.

And obviously won’t actually happen because they’re not going to win the election. :fc:
rosy

Re: National Service

Post by rosy »

Ridiculous idea. I assume they are trying to appeal to voters who might turn to Reform, forgetting that they’ve just alienated every voter with a child between 12 and 18.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Every single week for the past five years I have reached a point where I cannot work out what they can possibly do to make me hate them even fucking more.

And yet five years on, here we are.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

It's obviously designed to appeal to people who didnt have to do it themselves, but somehow think it's the answer to a vague problem. It reminds me of that Frankie Boyle quote that the problem with Britain is that a large number of people in their 60s believe that they fought in WW2.

I actually think its pretty offensive to young people who sacrified a lot during the pandemic to protect older people. Yet somehow theyre perceived to be the issue :shrug:

Or maybe they just know they're unlikely to win so are trying to come up with the wildest ideas they can get away with :lol:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

So, I grew up in a country where a huge amount of young people did national service after they left high school. And all those people are now late 40s/early 50s and say that national service was the worst thing that ever happened to them. Many of those blokes have ptsd, mental and physical health issues and struggle with life generally. Those kids went to war, in Angola. It was a pointless war and while I realise there is no actual equivalent right now, how on earth is this a good idea? Great, create another generation of shell shocked human beings who think violence is the answer.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Its absolutely a move to appeal to the older, Daily Mail reading, brexit voting type people who strongly believe everyone on benefits has a 50” flatscreen telly and sky subscription, and that migrants are coming over here stealing all our jobzzz.

Definitely thinks that market of oldies will be like “YESSS! Get those pesky awful teenagers doing a REAL JOB with discipline! You got my vote!”
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I think a form of national service is a good idea. France had NS up until about 20 years ago (I think the last young men to have to do it were born in about '78). But for at least a decade prior to that it was possible and entirely normal to do actual national, rather than military, service. MrPG worked as a postman, and at a childcare facility.

It was then replaced with a "citizen day" or something where they essentially checked that you can read and write and don't have rickets.

I think there is now (or planned to be) a voluntary military service which I suppose is for young people (not just men) who feel they haven't found their path with academic or trades education yet.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Load of old school reactionary shit. It's also another excuse to make local councils even worse off than they already are, if that's even possible:
The Conservatives have said their plans would be paid for by slashing funding for local areas through the Shared Prosperity Fund from 2028-29, which funds projects that boost jobs and living standards, improve public services and build pride in local communities.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

That fund was meant to replace EU funding that we lost, so yeah let's take it and spaff it on a pointless project like this.

If I was 18, I'd take great joy in telling them to shove their scheme where the sun don't shine.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

But the non-criminal sanctions! :panic:
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:12 am Load of old school reactionary shit. It's also another excuse to make local councils even worse off than they already are, if that's even possible:
The Conservatives have said their plans would be paid for by slashing funding for local areas through the Shared Prosperity Fund from 2028-29, which funds projects that boost jobs and living standards, improve public services and build pride in local communities.
I didn't stop ranting about this ALL DAY on Sunday. :)) UKSPF was about a third of the value of the EU funds a lot of areas used to get (EU funds were targeted at deprived areas) and it pays for things people just assume are now general public service offer (skills, back to work support , business support) and he just decided, stroke of a pen, to kill it. Gnnnargh. And even before that, it was the worst organised funding stream ever designed, implemented or used, ever, in the history of the world, ever. :verm:
rosy

Post by rosy »

Here's some FAQs about this barmy idea:
What ages will have to participate?
Under Tory plans, school leavers aged 18 would be required to participate in the scheme.

Will 18-year-olds at university be exempt or allowed to defer?
No. Everyone will have to do National Service and fit it around their lives. There will be very limited deferments and none for university students.

What if the young person has a job?
There will be no exemption for those who are in work.

What if they are on a gap year abroad?
This will not be a reason for exemption and those abroad will be expected to do their National Service alongside any travel.

What if they already work in the emergency services, prison or care sectors?
The Royal Commission will look at exemptions, including where people are already working in the military. But the starting point remains that all people serve.

What if the young person has unpaid caring commitments?
The Royal Commission will aim to ensure everyone can take part.

Weekend placements could be within the NHS, fire or police service, or with charities supporting older people or tackling loneliness.

Will the royal children be expected to take part?
Yes – everyone will be expected to undergo National Service.

Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, nine, and Prince Louis, six, would not be exempt, the Conservative Party told The Telegraph.Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie also have young children who would be eligible to take part once they reach 18 as well as Prince Edward’s son, the Earl of Wessex, who is 16.

Will the scheme apply in Northern Ireland?
Yes – although the Royal Commission will consider how to manage any sensitivities surrounding National Service.

What if not enough people apply for the military placement?

The Tories have argued similar schemes in other countries have a very high take-up rate, suggesting they don’t expect this to be a problem.

For example, in Scandinavian countries, winning military service programme is highly competitive.

Last year in Norway, 9,840 conscripts were accepted; roughly 17 per cent of the available cohort. Around a quarter go on to pursue a career in the armed forces.

There would be a proposed 30,000 places available in the Armed Forces, which represents only about four per cent of 18-year-olds according to today’s figures.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/0 ... le%20serve.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

What? It's compulsory National Service, but you have to compete to get a place??
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Anyone would think this wasn't thought through :lol:
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

So anyone on a gap year abroad can fly home every month to do their Dad's Army duty? :lol:
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

If they get in again it will be the death penalty next. Utter bastards
Heartsick.blog
rosy

Post by rosy »

It's bonkers, and just shows that the Tories have no idea how most people live.