Dandruff

TracyA

Dandruff

Post by TracyA »

Do people still have it? I just saw an advert for head and shoulders. I’ve never had it, and don’t think Inknow anyone else who has. Maybe because they use head and shoulders? It feels like a very 1970s thing?
Disco

Re: Dandruff

Post by Disco »

I've seen dandruff on the shoulders of people's jackets.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Cube suffers from dandruff. Head and shoulders make it worse.

He doesn’t get fine dust on his shoulders but he does get flakes in his hair and he finds it itchy. I get various shampoos and they work for a while then stop so I have to change.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Is dandruff a thing or is it just a symptom of a variety of skin/scalp conditions?

I use head and shoulders because it is the only one that doesn't irritate my scalp.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I remember my hairdresser saying that it’s alkaline enough so that if they ran out of perm solution they could use H&S in a pinch, also if you wash permed hair with it the curl will drop. I wish I’d known that when I was 19 and my mum gave me a disastrously frizzy home perm, I would have been slathering that stuff on like there was no tomorrow.

I get an itchy scalp occasionally but I don’t have obvious flakes anywhere.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

I have dreadful dandruff. Snow on my shoulders and an itchy scalp. I haven't found anything to cure it. Head and shoulders does not work.
TracyA

Post by TracyA »

Thanks for humouring me, it just seemed like a really old fashioned thing and made me wonder if maybe all the products we use on our hair these days stopped it!
Little My

Post by Little My »

H&S still seems to be going strong, as a brand. People must still buy it.

Speaking of perms, I'm surprised they're still a thing. Most notably, loads of teen boys get perms these days!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

SunnyMum wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:52 am I have dreadful dandruff. Snow on my shoulders and an itchy scalp. I haven't found anything to cure it. Head and shoulders does not work.
Have you tried Philip Kingsley Itchy/Flaky scalp shampoo. I suffered from bad scalp psoriasis for years and this really helped. I am clear now and I keep a bottle at all time for when I can feel the itch returning.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Thanks, Annabella, I will have a look for that.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Can you get some prescription grade shampoo. I had something like that once and it needed stuff stronger that H&S.
Malan
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

I did have some strong prescription stuff a few years ago. I think I need to go back to the dermato. That'll be a 6 month wait. But I will call to make an appointment.