Couples paying less than singles

Roma

Couples paying less than singles

Post by Roma »

Just thought I get other opinions on this. So a few times a year I buy presents toghether with other people, mainly these are bigger presents for family members. Now we have this issue with one couple who seem to think and actually argue the point that they should pay the same as a single person contributing. So say two single people and one couple buy a present for £90. Now the couple expects this to be shared through 3 people (basically counting themselves as one person) but of course this results in the two single people paying £30 each and the couple paying also £30 so in effect £15 each.

Now to me it seems obvious that this is unfair and I do not understand the logic behind it. The single people on this occasion have now said they will buy together and let the couple chose their own present but that causes issues too as the couple feels left out and that is not what we want either. Really not sure if I and the other single person should just pay up to keep the peace as the couple just does not see our logic and mainain they are being "punished" for being married :ella:
Disco

Re: Couples paying less than singles

Post by Disco »

Gifts are for giving :teacher: . None of this sounds like a giving situation.
Roma

Post by Roma »

It's not you're right, but I think we are all trying to do something nice for other family members by giving nice gifts, but this really spoils it for everyone.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Gah.
Last edited by Derek Nimmo on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Fat fingers and posting on a train. Bad combination.
Last edited by Derek Nimmo on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

What Disco said, but also the couple are being arseholes. Just in case you were in any doubt :)
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I think Derek really thinks that Disco is right and the couple are arseholes.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I really do.
Roma

Post by Roma »

She really does :lol:
Disco

Post by Disco »

:lol: They are being arseholes but objectively I'd like to think I would rise above it because it all sounds so petty - even though I know it would piss me off - but life is short and let people be people. :beatific:
Disco

Post by Disco »

I hate them though.
Roma

Post by Roma »

Don't hate them they are not that awful usually ;) Just when it comes to money really. II think I could rise above it but the other single person also gets really annoyed. So basically I have now said that we either share through 4 in the future or I buy with the other single person only and couple has to make their choice what they prefer. I am not being drawn into any more arguments about it as yes it spoils the fun for everyone really when you actually do get to give the gift.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Roma wrote:So basically I have now said that we either share through 4 in the future or I buy with the other single person only and couple has to make their choice what they prefer. I am not being drawn into any more arguments
This is the way forward. Will the couple be funny about it?
Jet

Post by Jet »

Hmm, I think it sort of depends on the situation....I was initially thinking I entirely agree with everyone else.....but then I thought about the fact that sometimes we all split a present for my mum, for example, so it'd be my dad, my brother and me (my brother and I both have partners) but we've still say do GBP50 each of a GBP150 present, we wouldn't suddenly split it into 5 because we have partners.

But say it was for someone from our circle of friends....for example when our friend's laptop was stolen we all chipped in and gave him money to get a new one, I'm fairly sure we did $50 per couple and $25 per single person.
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
Roma

Post by Roma »

Yes, they are already being funny about it but I am just going to leave it at that as I have said that that neither of us will come round to the other's view. I'm sure they'll calm down eventually though, they usually do.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Yes, it totally depends on that Jet.
Vermilingua

Post by Vermilingua »

Jetty is entirely right. Why would my girlfriend contribute to a family birthday present for my sister?
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

But the present in Roma's situation is from both people in the couple.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

That's true. I was thinking "wankers" but if it's family it is a bit different (well, depending on how close a person is to their in-laws). I don't expect Mr G to contribute to presents for my family as a matter of course, or vice versa.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I wouldn't expect B to contribute to gifts for my family and vice versa but then his / my name doesn't get included in the gift giving and, if it were appropriate, the non giver would have to sort something out on their tod.

( This only on stuff joint with other people - if it were just from one or other of us then the other one's name would be attached. What goes around comes around and all that.)