Local Elections May 2

Flora Poste

Re: Local Elections May 2

Post by Flora Poste »

Topcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:06 pm Obviously I no longer have a say, but surely London won't vote in that psychotic racist, Hall.
I bloody well hope not, but my FB local feed is full of people screeching about ULEZ and LTNs etc etc And I live in Lambeth.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

God, I hope the Tories get annihilated everywhere even if essentially that could be bad for democracy.

I went and voted for the PCC. It was really quiet. C went later on too.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I only went about 40mins ago, the polling station was quite busy. At least 8 people there at the same time as me and a moderate oncoming stream as I headed back to my car.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I hope that mad facebook racist woman doesn't get in, and also that Fox loses his deposit.

I have written an icily polite email to NE Derbyshire about wheelchair accessibility at my polling station. I don't see why I should have the choice of in-person voting removed. The previous polling station for this ward was fully accessible.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Hopefully Sadiq can see her off, but it may be close.

That's awful, rosy.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Flora Poste wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:12 pm
Topcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:06 pm Obviously I no longer have a say, but surely London won't vote in that psychotic racist, Hall.
I bloody well hope not, but my FB local feed is full of people screeching about ULEZ and LTNs etc etc And I live in Lambeth.
My Twitter feed has been overloaded with it for days. Don't get me wrong, I respond and so understand I will attract them, but as I said upthread, the bots that CCHQ must have paid for must have cost a fortune.

It has (hopefully) skewed the way that I am seeing it. Hopefully.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

"So far, the Conservative vote is down most (vs 2021) in areas that voted Leave in the 2016 Brexit referendum"

This makes me so cross though! Brexit not working out how you thought eh!!!!

I wasn't able to vote as my postal vote never turned up but I bet the Greens sweep the seats. Marvin is off, and endless committee is in.
Malan
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I can’t bear the wait for the results of the NE mayoral election to be announced. I have friends coming down from Scotland for lunch (I’m at the caravan) so can’t really have the tv on. I hope I get a notification when it’s declared.

I want Jamie to win so badly. He worked so hard as North if Tyne mayor and achieved a lot. For him to be deselected in favour of the police commissioner (who seems to have done bugger all in office) is so very unjust. Last I heard opinion polls put the two of them way ahead of the other candidates and Jamie was only 2points behind. Fingers crossed that people will vote based on what someone has actually done instead of what they say they will do. I’m not sure that enough people show an interest though. As it’s not a GE many will just tick next to the party they support (I’ve done the same myself before now) and won’t know the backstory.

It’s amazing that it’s so close though. There was an outcry when Jamie was deselected and a crowdfund to raise £100k for him to stand as Independent hit target quickly, which given the lack of money in the region was brilliant. I have everything crossed that ‘people power’ will prevail.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I can’t bear the wait for the results of the NE mayoral election to be announced. I have friends coming down from Scotland for lunch (I’m at the caravan) so can’t really have the tv on. I hope I get a notification when it’s declared.

I want Jamie to win so badly. He worked so hard as North if Tyne mayor and achieved a lot. For him to be deselected in favour of the police commissioner (who seems to have done bugger all in office) is so very unjust. Last I heard opinion polls put the two of them way ahead of the other candidates and Jamie was only 2points behind. Fingers crossed that people will vote based on what someone has actually done instead of what they say they will do. I’m not sure that enough people show an interest though. As it’s not a GE many will just tick next to the party they support (I’ve done the same myself before now) and won’t know the backstory.

It’s amazing that it’s so close though. There was an outcry when Jamie was deselected and a crowdfund to raise £100k for him to stand as Independent hit target quickly, which given the lack of money in the region was brilliant. I have everything crossed that ‘people power’ will prevail.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Oh God :lol:

I’ve deleted one copy, but can’t get rid of any more, as I keep being told that the requested post doesn’t exist. Sorry.

ETA we are down to two, so it could be worse - there were millions of them a minute ago.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

:lol:

I feel quite invested in that result too now!

Winchester is a Lib Dem hold so not very exciting. I refused to do any more leafleting for them as I don't have time nowadays so I am relieved though. ;)

Our PCC should be announced later today. I don't agree with it but voted as I'd prefer not to have a Tory one if we do have to have them. Our Lib Dem was standing on the basis he wants to abolish the position. :lol:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

Labour took my ward from the conservatives.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve not really thought too hard about how I feel about PCCs as a position, but I think I need to. I’m starting to think that policing is absolutely broken and has never truly worked for women. If PCCs actually held police forces to account it might be something but they shouldn’t be party political.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I’m in the NE Morgs and didn’t know any of that :look: Result should be out about 1.30pm apparently.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Chicky wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:41 am I’m in the NE Morgs and didn’t know any of that :look: Result should be out about 1.30pm apparently.
Same Chicky!

I felt sick at the thought of Houchen getting in again today. Elections have gone the way I wanted for well over a decade.
rosy

Post by rosy »

1.30ish for the East Midlands mayor results as well. I really hope Ben Bradley will not win but I'm not confident.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I hate him so much rosy.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Sir John Curtice has told R4 that "we are probably looking at one of the worst, if not the worst Conservative performances in local government elections for the last 40 years"

Any bets that we'll have a new PM in the next month?
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Houchen has won :verm:
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Topcat wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:15 am Sir John Curtice has told R4 that "we are probably looking at one of the worst, if not the worst Conservative performances in local government elections for the last 40 years"

Any bets that we'll have a new PM in the next month?
Who would want it though? It's the ultimate poisoned chalice!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse