Do you keep squash* in the fridge

Little My

Re: Do you keep squash* in the fridge

Post by Little My »

I tend to prefer egg salad, scrambled eggs or omelette at home. I like poached eggs when out, but only because they are made into eggs Benedict. :))

Obviously I keep my eggs in the fridge, for reasons already explained.

My maple syrup is always in the fridge too, once opened.

And now I have learned what wally's are! I would totally keep those in the fridge, along with all pickled things.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I am scared to ask, but what goes into an egg salad in your part of the world?
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

My maple syrup went mouldy which surprised me, I thought pure sugar was OK. Maybe a crumb got in?

I too am wondering about egg salad :))
Luna

Post by Luna »

Isn’t egg salad just hard boiled eggs chopped up in salad cream or mayonnaise?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I like an old egg for frying, so the white goes crispy and cooks through well before you've lost the yolk. :love2:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Always keep maple syrup in the fridge after opening!
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

emma_p wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:30 pm Always keep maple syrup in the fridge after opening!
Same!
Little My

Post by Little My »

Maple syrup definitely goes mouldy! It's fine until you open it, though I would still keep it in a cool place until then.
Topcat wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:41 pm I am scared to ask, but what goes into an egg salad in your part of the world?
:lol: Just regular egg mayonnaise really. I'm quite partial to it when I'm low-carbing, and tend to add seasoning (mustard & paprika) so it's more like devilled egg salad; but that's just me.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Phew!

That sounds nice. I feared the addition of corn and strawberries or something.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Phew!

That sounds nice. I feared the addition of corn and strawberries or something.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Little My wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 pm Marmalade in the bin.
Totally agree. Mr5 loves it so I put up with the sticky bile. It goes in the fridge with everything else once it's opened.

Mr5 says we don't have squash here and I keep forgetting to ask for it when we are in the UK.

Egg salad to me is hard boiled egg, Hellmann's mayonaise, and chopped up celery and maybe a bit of green onion.
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

I have never kept jam or marmalade in the fridge, that said we rarely eat it (I love it but don’t eat breakfast generally)

I cannot poach an egg to save my life but I actually really have a love hate relationship, mashed boiled eggs with salad cream in a sandwich or scrambled eggs fab, poached or fried eggs no. Also ramen eggs I hate a runny yolk.

Eggs are kept on the bench in an egg holder, James martin taught me that fridge eggs make bad desserts and cakes do I’m going with him!
Jet

Post by Jet »

All my food goes where rules went out the window when I moved to forrin. You can't leave things out in the same way I could back home given that houses are on the warm side when no one is home running the ac. All our jams and other condiments live in the fridge, as do our eggs.

Nutella lives with the peanut butter in a cupboard.

:yes: egg salad is just egg mayo but I tend to put other things in it these days like other seasonings, mustard, diced pickles, maybe some herbs. It's good with a drizzle of sriracha on top. I started eating it inside half peppers or little cucumber boats after seeing someone doing the pepper thing on instagram.

I bought an egg cooker recently so I've been eating so many eggs as a result :lol:
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Luce wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:09 pm For those who keep ketchup in the fridge, is it that a) you don’t mind very cold ketchup with hot food or b) the ketchup being cold is the actual point and you want cold ketchup with your food.
I keep it in the fridge as I don't mind cold ketchup with food. The thought of warm ketchup makes me feel a bit sick actually.

I only don't keep Marmite in the fridge as it turns solid. Oh, I don't keep vinegar in there either, but all sauce based condiments and pickles, chutneys and so on.
Last edited by Marth on Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malan
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Should golden syrup / treacle be in the fridge (I'm fairly sure no)? Is maple lower sugar content then? Or a different reason meaning I've been storing it wrongly.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I thought this thread was about vegetables :)) We hardly ever have squash but I think it would go in the fridge.

We keep jams, pickles etc in the fridge but only because of lack of cupboard space. Ketchup, Nutella, PB in the cupboard. I am worried about the ketchup now :look:

All “salad” in America is things in mayo isn’t it? :))

These threads always end up with egg chat :))
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

I also keep thinking this is about vegetable squashes. I only keep them in the fridge once I've cut one open.
Little My

Post by Little My »

ParisGal wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:00 am Should golden syrup / treacle be in the fridge (I'm fairly sure no)? Is maple lower sugar content then? Or a different reason meaning I've been storing it wrongly.
No, golden syrup, treacle, molasses, honey and table syrup should all be fine kept in the cupboard after opening.

I don't know what it is about the contents of pure maple syrup that makes it more prone to growing mould. Though obviously there's no artificial preservatives in there for one thing.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Well golden syrup is just pure goodness too :mad: