Ouch! Falling at my age isn't fun!

Bendywendywoo

Ouch! Falling at my age isn't fun!

Post by Bendywendywoo »

I'm in a Premier Inn currently, in Scotland. This morning I went for a shower (it's over the bath) and as soon as I stepped in my feet went from under me on the slippery bath floor and I catapulted across the bathroom, landing between the toilet and the wall, right in front of the door. Even with no broken bones, it took me a couple of minutes to be able to move myself enough for a frantic Andy to get in to me. If I'd been knocked out, or broken anything I don't know how he would have got in.

So once I was upright and moving again he went to reception to complain, and tell them about the shower curtain (now on the floor) and toilet (seat knocked off by flying human) and they gave him a bath mat. They have bath mats, but you have to ask!

I don't know why I'm writing this post. I'm shaken up and in pain and just venting I guess, but also, always ask for the damn bath mat.
Heartsick.blog
Tsu

Re: Ouch! Falling at my age isn't fun!

Post by Tsu »

Ouch! I hate over the bath showers because I'm always worried about slipping and if I remember correctly, the baths at Premier Inns are higher than average meaning if you're a shortarse like me it adds added peril.
Make sure you report it to the hotel though.

Hope you don't ache too much tomorrow.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Bendy that sounds terrifying, you poor sod! And potentially serious too so I'm glad you're relatively unharmed. I would have hoped the hotel staff were a bit concerned/apologetic and didn't just thrust a bath mat at him!!

I didn't know you could ask for the non-slip mat at Premier Inns. I am so super careful when there isn't one because I always feel I'm one moment away from sharing your fate. I've stayed in a lot of hotels recently and mats are definitely absent more than they are available.

I had a hairy experience only last month in a Spanish hotel. It was clearly a wheelchair accessible bathroom, because it was 100% wet room and there wasn't even a screen to the shower bit. I checked with my colleagues and nobody else had one like it, they all had shower doors and a lip on the floor to contain the water. Like most wet rooms I've encountered, the drainage gradient wasn't adequate for the flow rate of the shower and water crept all over the very shiny floor. On the first morning as I went to walk out of the bathroom, one foot completely slid from under me and I basically did the splits. After that, I used every fluffy towel and bathrobe that they had kindly supplied to coat the floor and soak up the water. :verm:
Last edited by Rebel Pebble on Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

OMG that sounds painful!

We've just moved rooms and there has been an accident report filled out, and lots of "if you need anything don't hesitate to ask" so I think someone higher has been made aware because concern has definitely been stepped up!
Heartsick.blog
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

Tsu wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am Ouch! I hate over the bath showers because I'm always worried about slipping and if I remember correctly, the baths at Premier Inns are higher than average meaning if you're a shortarse like me it adds added peril.
Make sure you report it to the hotel though.

Hope you don't ache too much tomorrow.
Fellow short arse here. Yep the sides are high, getting in was inelegant but probably less so than flying out 😂 In as much as you have time to think in these situations, I thought I was going to fall on to the floor of the bath. I was surprised to find myself across the room wrapped in a shower curtain! My hip really hurts, along with my arm, back and buttock. If I'd been a bit more frail I think a broken hip would have been a certainty. They need to be careful someone doesn't get really hurt.
Heartsick.blog
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

I should hope so! Also it's all very well them saying you just need to ask at reception but I've stayed at some PIs where the staff has been so cut to the bone there's barely a reception. It's DIY terminals or find someone at the bar who might help you (Cardiff, I'm looking at you).
Bendywendywoo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:56 am If I'd been a bit more frail I think a broken hip would have been a certainty. They need to be careful someone doesn't get really hurt.
This was my fear. Or it was after I told my colleagues and promptly heard endless stories about bathrooms and hips that didn't end well. :bob:
isambard

Post by isambard »

I hope you feel better and don't ache tomorrow, Bendy.
Falling is one of my major fears. Living where I do and given the amount of rain there's been lately, going down slippery wet metro steps is a peril at the moment, but the idea of falling in shower in a bath fills me with dread.
Disco

Post by Disco »

That sounds horrible Bendy! I hope you're not too sore over the coming days. Falling is so horribly shocking.
Luna

Post by Luna »

If you can get hold of some arnica, take that for the shock and bruising. Hope you recover ok x
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I hope you're doing OK and not too sore.

I fell a couple of years back and didn't bounce back immediately in the days after which made me feel really old.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
rosy

Post by rosy »

I hope you are not too bruised/sore; it sounds very scary.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

That sounds so scary, hope you have a quick recovery
Little My

Post by Little My »

Anyone would be shaken by that! It sounds painful too. Hope you feel better soon.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Oh Bendy, ouch! I’m glad they’ve stepped up their concern a bit, but still seems quite an under reaction.

If I can provide any solidarity, I also fell yesterday, standing up out of a folding chair and tipping over backwards because my foot got caught and my rucksack full of the kids’ stuff had shifted my centre of gravity. It was outside in view of several people and my children, who didn’t even laugh but just stared at me with perfect “WTF is she doing?” expressions :lol:

Thankfully the grass was soft and everyone politely went about their business while I inelegantly scrambled around to get back up :granny:
Jet

Post by Jet »

Oh Bendy, that sounds sore and scary! I always have the fear in hotel showers/baths - our bath at home is very low sided and hotels are always so high. I also have a plastic non slip mat in the shower that was always for the kids but honestly I think I'd measure my length in our shower if I didn't have it.

To add to the solidarity, the last big fall I had as an adult I rolled over a child's shoe in the dark (it was left laying in the middle of a hallway) and the foot that slid away jammed into a doorpost likely breaking one of my toes (I didn't get it looked at, but assume it was broken). Silver lining was it got me out of a very physical work offsite team building so I think I was lucky :lol: as several people there got injured during the event.
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

Thank you all for the solidarity! I'm ok, very sore indeed but I'm well padded which was probably a good thing in this scenario 😂 I'm going to be very nervous in the shower for a while though!
Heartsick.blog
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It’s horrible falling as a grown up. I watch them all hitting the deck at rugby and wonder how they get up and do it all again straight after.

Last time I fell (during one of the Covid lockdowns?) it was in a car park and a woman just drive past me and looked at me. Anyway, I felt jarred and shaken for days afterwards so take care of yourself.
Luna

Post by Luna »

I fell down the stairs and broke my big toe a couple of years ago and that was a big shock. I had Covid and didn’t go and get it checked out.

I can’t believe someone just drove off Pip!