Who knows about wild birds?

Luna

Who knows about wild birds?

Post by Luna »

A pair of long tailed tits have arrived in our garden today. This is very surprising as they are apparently native to Scotland. I’ve never seen them here before. One of them keeps flying up at the patio doors and flitting back and forth. Is he thinking his reflection is a threat? Or the reflection of the garden confusing him? He’s been doing this for an hour now. Any suggestions? I don’t want to open the door and risk him flying in and getting stuck inside. Surely this will be exhausting 🫤
Disco

Re: Who knows about wild birds?

Post by Disco »

I have long tailed tits in my garden and I'm nowhere near Scotland.

It sounds like he's looking for a fight with his reflection. Poor thing.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Well, firstly, long tailed tits aren't native to Scotland and are very common in England. I think they actually originated, many many years ago, from the far east and aren't "true" tits like a blue tit. Anyway, we've always had them as visitors to our garden. I adore them.

The window boinking thing is an odd one. I remember it happening a few years ago, and it's started up this year again. I assume the same as you - they're seeing their reflection. But it's not every year they do it.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Oh, husbands bird app thing has duff info on it then :lg:

It’s still flitting about. I assume it’s mating season and he’s seeing off what he thinks is potential competition. The garden has been full today. We’ve had robins, the chickenpigeons, tits, doves. All sorts going on.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Are you sure you don't have a bird already trapped in your house? That would also explain the behaviour, as they're trying to get to them.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Luna wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 pm Oh, husbands bird app thing has duff info on it then :lg:

It’s still flitting about. I assume it’s mating season and he’s seeing off what he thinks is potential competition. The garden has been full today. We’ve had robins, the chickenpigeons, tits, doves. All sorts going on.
I have a birds app which makes me happy. I've identified loads by their songs :l:
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Luna

Post by Luna »

It’s finally gone which I’m relieved about. As sweet as it was, having it flit at the window wasn’t very restful.