Food subscription ideas

baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Food subscription ideas

Post by baargain »

DadBaa has a pensioner deal for two phone contracts with his old work company, they're a hilarious 80% off and he's let me use the second one since he retired. He refuses to give me his bank details and will not accept cheques or cash, so I used to send him a cheese selection box from Pong Cheese every two months. He's always been delighted by this, but rudely had a small heart attack in Feb (he's doing OK now after being all stented up), so now is being a Very Good Patient and is obeying all recommendations set by his cardiac people. He mournfully asked me to stop the cheese, but still refuses traditional payment options :lol:

Any recommendations of a food/drink/interesting box of stuff I can send in the post? If its edible, it'll have to be all healthy and virtuous :cry: my contract is under a tenner a month, but I wanged a few extra pounds on so I could buy the cheese so about a tenner a month is the budget.

THANKS.
kiwi

Re: Food subscription ideas

Post by kiwi »

Are there healthy enough options on Dispatch or something similar? Although some of the meals involve a bit of prepping which might not be up DadBaa's street.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Is Graze still going? That might be a nice treat.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Does he shave? I think TC has some kind of razor subscription although maybe that's not very treaty. :lol: Gardening stuff?

As an aside, my dad had a stent put in years ago, think I was still living in Wales so about 15 years ago maybe, and has never had an issue since so they really can be remarkable!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I did/do! Good memory!

Best shave I have ever had at a fraction of the cost of Gillette and such shit.

https://www.cornerstone.co.uk/7mik0907

That link gives you a tenner off the first subscription payment, plants a tree and sends me a fiver apparently. Or there may be free trials out there somewhere, but it's Cornerstone that you would need to look at, they are truly amazing.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

But please don't suggest that the old boy eats the blades or the shaving gel. That would be rubbish.
absley

Post by absley »

Are there hot drink boxes he might like? Tea, coffee, more interesting stuff?

Otherwise socks or books?
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Good to hear DadBaa is OK.

Pact coffee is good - a bag of beans or ground coffee is just under a tenner. I’m not sure where coffee currently sits on the roundabout of heart health advice but I recommend Pact for folk who want to drink it.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Topcat wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:03 pm But please don't suggest that the old boy eats the blades or the shaving gel. That would be rubbish.
It wouldn't do him much good, this is true.

He mows his face with an ancient electric razor, and has done for over 40 years, but I'll suggest this to The Bf instead!

Graze is still going! And that might feel exciting, as he does love a snack. Better than the dusssst subscription box I've been threatening.

He drinks truly terrible tea, like beyond pale beige. He drinks a heap of it though, so I will investigate a tea box.

And he doesn't do masses of cooking, but does enjoy eating and could probably do a Dispatch type meal, especially as they look rather good!

Thank you, people! This will help him through his cheese grief :))
Last edited by baargain on Wed May 01, 2024 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Brew Tea is lovely and they do tea bags if DadBaa wouldn’t be arsed with the loose leaf stuff.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

He would not be arsed with loose leaf tea, so thank you!
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Isle of Wight tomatoes do a subscription in your price range and their tomatoes are amazing and pretty unusual. Different tomatoes every month :weewee: Tomatoes are full of lycopene too - they’re so good for you!
Glint

Post by Glint »

Completely off track, does he like reading?

I get my mum a book a month via teatime books (or similar) which comes with a wee biscuit and tea, coffee or hot chocolate. You can pick genres or completely random, plus they’re second hand books in excellent condition.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Ooo I was thinking about books! He does read, but mainly about trains and radios, he used to read a fair bit of fiction though. I think I'll make a big list of all these ideas and let him pick.

The IoW toms are a nice idea, but MumBaa's main hobby is growing veg, and she has a 20ft greenhouse mostly full of tomato plants :lol:
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Oh thank you Glint, that might be good for my FIL.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Glint wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:34 am Completely off track, does he like reading?

I get my mum a book a month via teatime books (or similar) which comes with a wee biscuit and tea, coffee or hot chocolate. You can pick genres or completely random, plus they’re second hand books in excellent condition.
Thank you for sharing this one, Glint. I’m going to use it for my mum too.
Glint

Post by Glint »

Welcome folks, I have it on a recurring 6 monthly payment. I think she’s had it for e years or so, and hasn’t had a duplicate - some books are better for her than others.