Thursday Storms in

ParisGal

Re: Thursday Storms in

Post by ParisGal »

We have one and a half cars, as the second car is unreliable, plus is soon to be excluded from our local city on environmental grounds. Actually our main car is already mostly excluded from several major cities including Paris & Rouen which is really helpful for driving up to the ferry :ella:

Despite us both working from home, we probably need the second car at least once a week, but then you can't do anything here without a car.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Hi all.

We’re about to sell a car, but C still has his midlife crisis car and is intending to get a company car so we’re not transport-poor. Which is good because public transport is awful around here in the shires.

I have good news, I won £250 on the work lottery so will be retiring shortly.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Congrats on your wealth, Pip! Spend it frivolously.

Glad to hear your mum's doing well, Sal.

There are no storms here; it's hazy and (relatively) warm. I've been to Matlock as per usual, spring is definitely changing the landscapes. Then I went up to vote which was a horrible experience as the polling station isn't properly wheelchair accessible, so the returning officer had to come out to the corridor to me. I need to find someone to whom to complain.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
TracyA

Post by TracyA »

I lasted about 2 weeks of car sharing before going on a desperate hunt to find a new one for myself. It didn't work for us, partly because OH's car is always a tip, and he would use all the petrol up and it would be on empty whenever I had to go somewhere in a rush.

I've been for a walk with some friends. I was just telling eldest at the weekend that there is something about one of these friends in particular that I find uncomfortable but couldn't think what. She's perfectly nice, she helps people out, she lets people stay in her holiday home for free and she hasn't ever been unpleasant to me. I've just realised today what it is, she only ever talks about herself! We walked for an hour and the conversation was literally all about her and if one of us changed the subject from her, she steered it back to her , complete with photos of her new furniture ! One of the older ladies who usually walks with us has been ill, and she couldn't join us for the walk as she had a Dr appointment, but joined us for coffee afterwards. All the while she was telling us about her Dr's appt, her supposed best friend was on her phone, until she had an opportunity to talk about herself again ! It's just a bit odd, not being at all interested in other people !

Glad your Mum is ok Sal.

That's mad Wendy !
Lola

Post by Lola »

Tracy, I think some people make a show of being nice but they are not that nice underneath :)) Your instincts can be spot on with these people.

We have one car too because Mr L can’t drive. It actually annoys me if he refers to it as “our” car. I pay for the car and all the running costs so it’s my fucking car :bird:
TracyA

Post by TracyA »

I wonder if I am just really nosey, I like to know about other people , and love to catch up with people for the latest gossip/news. She just genuinely doesn't seem to have any interest in other people, which seems really weird.

I've just remembered I need to vote.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

I definitely think of it as my car since it's in my name, even though all the costs go out of the joint account. MrW is on strict instructions to give me as much warning as possible if wants to use the car. If it doesn't work out then we'll explore going back to two cars; he's going to get a shock if we do, he's only ever had company cars.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

We're a one-car family too. I gave up having two when I started commuting via train then changed jobs to a remote one. Mr D's part-time now so the car is only away from the driveway three days a week.

It's been glorious here today which makes a change.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
TracyA

Post by TracyA »

You are so right Wiggle - car ownership is a massive shock after having a company car !

I have voted. I'm sorry your voting experience wasn't great Rosy. Some places have a very loose idea of 'accessibility' . Like having disabled toilets, but steps into the venue etc. Do complain, you must be one of many who has had that same experience today.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Thats awful, Rosy!

Tracy, I used to work with someone like that. She had such a high opinion of herself, it got very tiring listening to her talk about how fantastic she was :lol:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It was a lovely evening earlier when I walked round to vote.

I met my friend at the gym for virtual BodyPump and we pointed at Squeak through the gym window and she cringed.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I failed to vote. I went for a walk, realised what day it was as I past the Polling Station, didn’t have any photo id and didn’t have time to go back.

We’re on a train heading home after seeing Back To The Future: the Musical. It was bloody amazing!