Running trainers

Disco

Running trainers

Post by Disco »

I want to replace my adidas supernova with a newer version.

My current ones I had fitted in a proper running shop, gait analysis etc. They’re a size 5 and I am a size 3-4 depending on the fit of individual shoes/ manufacturers. They’re just right fit wise to run in.

In adidas listing for new version it says if you’re a size 7 then size up to 7.5.

I’m confused. Do you think I should get a 5 like my existing pair.
Last edited by Disco on Thu May 02, 2024 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duophonic

Re: Running trainers

Post by Duophonic »

It depends, a lot of shoes when they change versions can change the fit etc.

I do all my training runs in Hoka Cliftons, have done since the 4th version but when they went from v3 to v4 they changed the fit slightly due to different materials, improved foot shape, that sort of thing.

I normally wear a size six in an everyday shoe but I wear 7.5 in a running shoe to account for feet swelling over long distances.

Anyways I've just had a look at the Adidas website and they say they're true to size for the Earth day version so I'd go with what size you're using at the moment.

I've taken a long way around to say that I'd buy the size I'd normally buy.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Disco

Post by Disco »

Thanks Duo! The ones im looking at have the 30 day return thing even if you’ve used them so I guess it’s a no brainer.
Disco

Post by Disco »

You mean you would size up to the normal running size you take in that shoe?
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

If your size 5 is comfortable now, then I'd go with that.

My Hoka Cliftons are a size 7 and my normal shoes size is a 6. If I were to replace my Hokas, I'd just go with the size I'm in now.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Yes thanks Bramble. I’m going to order but now I’ve got 20% off so wondering if I should look at other more expensive ones. Mind you, I only intend to run max 5 miles a few times a week and no races so I don’t need anything mega bucks I guess.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I have just had to replace my trail shoes, and I bought the same size as the existing ones, but they've clearly changed the design as they were too big. I'd probably get two different sizes and just check what feels the most comfortable.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Hmmm. Maybe I should just go to a shop.

Thanks for all insight.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I often have this problem Disco, I recently sent a pair of Hokas back because they sizing was so out of line.

Going to a shop is almost entirely way more expensive than online though, which is the issue I have with it all.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Disco wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:13 am You mean you would size up to the normal running size you take in that shoe?
Yes, you said you're currently wearing the previous model as a size 5 so I'd do the same with the latest one.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Disco

Post by Disco »

Duophonic wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:13 pm
Disco wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:13 am You mean you would size up to the normal running size you take in that shoe?
Yes, you said you're currently wearing the previous model as a size 5 so I'd do the same with the latest one.
yes, that's what I thought you meant but then I started overthinking. :)

Basically I've bought them online. Size 5. I can run in them and still return them if no good within 30 days.

Thanks for all help. I'll be back next week when all my toenails have fallen off.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'd check the 30 day return policy, it normally means treadmill running and not outdoors.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Disco

Post by Disco »

I have read and re-read it it says in any condition and no mention of treadmill or outside. I would err on the side of caution anyway! I don't want trainers I can't wear and can't get a refund for.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I bet they'll be huge like clown feet on me. :mog:
Disco

Post by Disco »

All the Hokas look lovely! I've never looked at them and now I've got buyer's remorse.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Hoka Clifton is my daily mileage workhorse shoe. I have around 6 pairs currently in my rotation, they're like soft bouncy clouds.

I wear Adidas trails as my go-to off-road. I've found that because they use Continental tyre tech for the soles (Hoka uses Vibram, Nike uses their own tech), they're very grippy

My new carbon plate racing shoes are Adidas, again because they have Continental soles so I'm not losing any traction on the road.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I have my first pair of Hokas but injury has stopped me giving them a good go. Got a pair of Mizuno and Saucony as well which I usually rotate.

Off road I have a pair of cheap pair of Higher State for the heavy winter trails and an incredibly light pair of Innov8's for the longer, drier stuff. I will be looking for something more comfortable before the next ultra though.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Topcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:10 pm I have my first pair of Hokas but injury has stopped me giving them a good go. Got a pair of Mizuno and Saucony as well which I usually rotate.

Off road I have a pair of cheap pair of Higher State for the heavy winter trails and an incredibly light pair of Innov8's for the longer, drier stuff. I will be looking for something more comfortable before the next ultra though.
I'd go with a make you already have but they'll need to be more cushioned than traditional trail shoes.

Hoka Speedgoat
Adidas Agravic
Xodus Ultra
Inov8 Trailfly Ultra
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Cheers,

I am eyeing up the Traifly Ultras and will probably give them a go in the coming two months or so.
Disco

Post by Disco »

This is fascinating! The carbon plate things sound intense.

Monk bought me a pair of Nike trial trainers for my birthday but bought them in size 3 so I’ve never worn them for running or outside but I do other indoor workouts in them.