House/home buying - how did you KNOW it was the one?

Derek Nimmo

Re: House/home buying - how did you KNOW it was the one?

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Oh, and having lived under a noisy neighbour I would never live in a converted ground floor (without a bedroom extension that had nothing on top of it) ever, ever again. It's not worth the risk to your sanity.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Can you view the other place before the weekend, Epp? I found we really had to be flexible with viewings and go at the first opportunity. I would also bear in mind that offers get withdrawn and sales fall through so if you see any homes you like but miss out on do let the estate agent know you're interested and sign up for all the alerts! You are in a pretty strong position, first time buyer, no chain.

Are you looking in more than one area or are you set on one neighbourhood? We were looking in a specific area because of schools and pretty much narrowed it down to a few streets we loved and offered slightly more space and value. We kept track of what had sold, prices, how quickly they'd gone etc while we were in the US and when we came back looked at houses straight away even though we couldn't move right away. It was really good to have an idea of the different houses and the difference in price between "done" houses we could move straight in to and ones that needed full renovation. We did look at loads of houses, not just our preferred streets especially once our house was on the market and when we had an offer. I think I looked at about 40-50? Our house was definitely the one and we both knew it as soon as we'd looked around. It was within budget and already had a kitchen extension and loft conversion and the decor was pretty neutral / liveable so we could move straight in.

The house does of course have issues (roof, boiler, drains, badly fitted carpets, damp, leaking shower, I could go on!) but I don't regret it.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Thanks for the extra replies everyone, this is really good food for thought. And I know people’s tolerances are different for noise, transport links etc. I’m just trying to pressure test my ingoing assumptions, working out things that are actually deal breakers or where I think I can be more flexible.

I have seen three more properties since I posted this thread, and did a second viewing of the one I first mentioned with the amazing garden - and took my mum with me to see it. So the following is me processing a bit.

Of the three new ones, one is definitely out. And two are GORGEOUS absolutely pristinely renovated/decorated and in areas that I had prioritized, but basically at the top end of my budget. The more I think about the top end of my budget, even though it is technically something I can afford mortgage-wise, I am baulking a bit at the monthly amount…so maybe I need to reconsider what me real top budget is. Both of those places will be snapped up I think, in the next week.

The second viewing place is a compromise area (good enough transport links, but a bit more residential and quieter, fewer local amenities) and the trade off is it’s materially cheaper than the other two places I saw today. About 25% cheaper. It’s also a bit smaller, as I mentioned, but I measured walls today and I could fit my sofa and dining table where needed, so I feel better about that. The garden and garden studio are real selling points, the studio especially as somewhere I can work from home and use to do singing practice to my hearts content - something I really want from a quality of life/hobbies POV. My mum also really liked it, probably not least because it’s not really that far from her house! :))

I know they have an offer already and have waited for me to view again/make an offer, so I need to decide about that by Monday. I like it far more than I expected to for somewhere in an area that wasn’t top of my list. Although given its spec, it is priced a bit above the area for the current internal space. If I bought it and extended it (like I think is possible), I’m not sure there would be a lot more equity to cover the build costs. If I bought it at asking price, did nothing and sold it in a few years, I doubt I’d make much/anything on it. Though who knows what the area will do in 5 years’ time? Like most places in London, it’s definitely increasing in value. I’m not buying for investment but no one wants to lose money on property (or anything!).

Anyway, I think I am leaning towards making an offer on the lovely garden flat. I’ll probably go in under asking price and see how close I am to the other offer on the table. I can definitely offer asking price if it’ll swing it, I think, though again just leaves less room for appreciation/value add through an extension.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:31 pm I'm sure you know this, but just in case - you'll never find a truly freehold flat in England as they don't exist. Share of freehold, with self management and a "lease" of 900+ years is the best you'll get.

I've always trusted my gut on previous purchases, and hadn't gone far wrong until this place where I had a covid-induced fixation on getting some outside space and was truly seduced by the garden (which, admittedly, is lovely) but I kind of ignored the house itself and the suburban location. It was only after I moved in that I remembered I hate the suburbs :))

So I'd say think long and hard about your lifestyle and what's important to you, and make sure your priorities are in order.
Del I am really taking this and your comments about noise very seriously. I’ve been pottering about various neighborhoods over the last few months. And I am not sure that I need as much on my doorstep as I thought I did (or would be nice to have). I am definitely being garden seduced I think, but I think it’s partly coming off of only having had balconies basically all my adult life and finally getting a garden (and one that is mature/established) feels like a real bonus.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Would it help to run a through scenarios - eg flat at top budget, mortgage repayment X a month, so annual holiday budget is y, eating out is z etc? And then compare all the options? So you're actually trying to compare a bit more the actual experience of having each flat.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Also fwiw, I've always liked the idea of outside space much more than actually having it. If I didn't have kids, I'd be happy with a balcony/enough space to hang out a bit of washing and occasionally BBQ and that's it.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I’ve roughly kind of got those numbers in my head, Ken, but I should put it in excel properly and see what things look like next to each other.

My mum did appreciate the garden, but also cautioned me about how much work it would be. Which is fair enough. I do think I’ve outgrown a balcony, and I want to grow things even if only in pots. But 120 feet is probably quite a lot :lol: only a tiny bit of that is actual grass, it’s mostly borders with mature planting and a couple of large decked/patio areas.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Epp, that's the size of my garden*, and it needs the most hard working gardener in the west three hours every two weeks to keep it vaguely under control (genuinely, he's like a machine). And sometimes in the spring he comes every week for a bit as it goes so mental.

Just to give you an idea of the kind of upkeep it needs!

*Also a fair amount of borders and with two big paved bits.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Oh my god :lol: Well I wonder if the current owners have a gardener because it really is well maintained. If I end up there I would definitely keep them on if so! Otherwise find one.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I know people have already mentioned sounds from upstairs, but bear in mind residents may change. We hardly heard the girls upstairs when we moved in, but the last five months have been hell since new tenants arrived. To the point we're getting the flat ready to go on the market (probably at a loss as prices have dropped here).
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Oh no Skips, I’m sorry, that is really shit. I do know the upstairs people for the place I’m considering are renting, apparently a couple with a small kid. I didn’t hear much during my first viewing, but did hear a bit of footfall above yesterday at the second viewing. The thing is, I don’t really want to be the upstairs person without any outside space, and risk being THAT person for someone else.

But I am warned.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

RIGHT. Things have come to a decision point with the smaller garden flat. I made an offer, under asking. They have countered a bit higher and sound like they are keen for me to counter as we are both chain free.

I think I can meet their counter or they will take a bit less if I offer it. So now do I really want it?! :panic: Does one buy the first property one puts an offer on?! That seems a bit…lucky? What am I missing?? :panic:
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

This was the only house we put an offer in for.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

If you're as sure as you are going to be then why not?! Exciting!!!

Putting an offer and having it accepted is only the beginning though :))
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

How exciting! It sounds great and you wouldn't want to miss out, just because it's the first place you offered on! I saw 2 places before I saw this house, and this was the only one I offered on.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Maybe they would meet in the middle. What is your biggest concern about this property? It's all very exciting!
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

:panic: thanks chaps!

Offer-wise this place is definitely on the more affordable end, which obviously I feel more comfortable about. I was feeling a bit sick about a huge stamp duty bill on a more expensive place. If they won’t budge from their counter, it’s definitely doable for me, though of course I’d like to pay less!

What am I concerned about? I am still a bit concerned about everything I own fitting into the space. I don’t think my clothes will all fit, but given that I’ve spent 10 years filling up walk in wardrobes, that was going to be tricky anywhere! I do think I’m seeing it at the best time, when the selling point garden looks good and when I can imagine spending nice summer days out there. But I don’t think that’s a bad thing?

Location-wise, 10 minutes from the tube is good. It’s not in a super busy area, but is 15 minutes walk to one of the best parks in north London, and has a small local high street about 5-10 minutes away. It’s not fully gentrified, and like I said there is a big tower block at the end of the garden, most of which is probably still social housing. The garden is shielded from being really overlooked by well-placed trees, so you don’t really notice it.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

It sounds perfect and of course you're going to have tons of doubts, it's a massive decision to make.

Every house I've bought I've bought without Mr D stepping inside the place so the decision has always been mine alone and I've had lots of second-guessing myself. It's sounds perfect for you.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I’ve gone in with a counter offer!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Next up: show us.