Period pain cures

Ella77

Re: Period pain cures

Post by Ella77 »

Shoe wrote: If I don't take any I actually feel like everything is contracting so hard I am going to give birth to an internal organ. :ruby:
God, same. My legs give way as well, so I can end up sitting on a filthy pavement or something :cry:. I find ibuprofen (lots!) good for this. Paramol (has codeine in it) is excellent, but I hate taking it because the associated constipation makes everything so much worse.

When I was at school they used to give us Ponstan for this, but I don't know if you can get it any more? Not without a prescription, I'm guessing.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Turtlers are so much more helpful than the medical profession on these subjects, I find time and time again.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Lucy666 wrote:I feel a bit naive about all this, having had periods for a good 15 years. But they were totally fine before having a baby so it's all new to me.
I was fine until I came off the pill, I then made it even worse (allegedly) by getting a copper coil fitted. :gluttonforpunishment:

You can get Ponstan still, Ella, but I think you do need a prescription, someone in work uses it, she tends to faint once a month in the canteen if she doesn't do something about her pain.

It's horrid how common it is, isn't it. Clearly most of us are not having a happy period. :ruby:
Bastian

Post by Bastian »

I eat ibuprofen but then I get the opposite of constipation because you're supposed to make sure you're stomach's lined with ibu' aren't you? Or something I never quite manage to get right anyway.

I have to stay off strong foods and drinks (no coffee!) because of the upset stomach thing.
bright_light

Post by bright_light »

Yep, you really should line your tummy before ibu - it's something my nurse friend is quite evangelical about.

My periods got better after J, then worse after P - am hoping after this one I'll go back to the lovely 28 day cycle with minimal pain :fc:
Lucy666

Post by Lucy666 »

Squirrel wrote:Turtlers are so much more helpful than the medical profession on these subjects, I find time and time again.
Christ, absolutely.

It could do Fee but I've sworn off any hormonal contraception, no matter how minimal. Especially if I cant just stop taking it. And I have horrible memories of when Mum's got dislodged and the pain she was in. It's plan B though but I'm not ready to resort to it yet.

Plus, this is all karma for wrongly thinking that 'period pains' were for drama queens :mute:
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

I was lucky to be given the pill at 13 this is after I was taking a cocktail of paracetemol buscopan and ponstan just to get through the day.

I was given ponstan a while ago for the endo but it did nothing at all I think it is the same as mefanamic acid tablets ?

Lucy if you are due on take the buscopan about two days before during and two days ater so you take them for about a week.
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
la Fée Verte

Post by la Fée Verte »

Bastian wrote:I eat ibuprofen but then I get the opposite of constipation because you're supposed to make sure you're stomach's lined with ibu' aren't you? Or something I never quite manage to get right anyway.
The opposite is quite common during your period anyway, so it could be just for that reason.
Lucy666 wrote:Plus, this is all karma for wrongly thinking that 'period pains' were for drama queens :mute:
Oh, Lucy!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Lucy666 wrote:
Plus, this is all karma for wrongly thinking that 'period pains' were for drama queens :mute:
It's not; they do get worse as you get older anyway! Your situation gives the lie to the 'cure' that a lot of GPs suggest, namely having a baby :ella:.
Lucy666

Post by Lucy666 »

I know, I know, I'm a div. I'd get nothing worse than mild cramping before but yes, I was massively wrong.
Bastian

Post by Bastian »

Yes, I used to get an upset stomach when I only took paracetemol but I don't think ibu'' helps things really.

It's a bloody dreadful trauma isn't it? I have my period at the moment and I literally cannot think straight. I can't hold a thought for a second.
Lucy666

Post by Lucy666 »

I actually feel like a weight has been lifted, if only my doctor could have told me about anti spasmodics!
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Aww Luce. :hug: It makes me so angry that something so simple, and easily available, isn't mentioned by people who are supposed to know and help you. :ella:
la Fée Verte

Post by la Fée Verte »

Oh, yeah, on the first day of mine I can get really fuzzy-headed, and clumsy, and sort of stupid-feeling, too. WHY is this?
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I've always wondered that too, what about your period makes you trip up, fall over and smash stuff while also forgetting why you went into a particular room and losing the ability to make your brain function properly for a couple of days? I suppose it must be hormonal, like when you go a bit daft for a while while pregnant.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Oh, I need to try Buscopan! I thought mine were unusually bad but it seems not. It's not just the pain with me, they're so heavy I can't leave the house for at least one day a month and it lasts the better part of a week.

Like Lucy said, mine are far worse since I had kids though they've always been bad.
sticklebacker

Post by sticklebacker »

I suffer from horrendous period pains - the kind of 'doubled over in the street' kind. Running/exercising helps massively. Taking Evening Primrose oil also helped me last period, I managed to go a whole one without taking Ibuprofen once, which is an achievement in itself - as I usually have to basically eat them every 4 hours.

I also get the nausea big time, sometimes throw up like I've got morning sickness, but without the pregnancy.

Ibuprofen 400's are my best friend. Similarly, if you can hold of any 500's, they will really knock you out - but I havent managed to get hold of any of those anywhere other than Spain and from a friend that goes to Israel regularly......... You have my absolute sympathies. Some periods I'd have to spend a day in bed. Awful :cry:

And to the bastard that says it gets better after having a kid - is a downright dirty liar. It doesnt.
la Fée Verte

Post by la Fée Verte »

Shoe wrote:I suppose it must be hormonal, like when you go a bit daft for a while while pregnant.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Like my not-really-morning-sickness.

:ruby:
Florin

Post by Florin »

Ella77 wrote: When I was at school they used to give us Ponstan for this, but I don't know if you can get it any more? Not without a prescription, I'm guessing.
Ponstan is Mefenamic acid and it is what is normally prescribed if you see your GP - it's a non-steroidal anti inflammatory (like ibuprofen, diclofenac or naproxen), but is supposed to be especially good for period pains.